Aurore

GOH 10 B: Falconry Training (Chronicles of Embervale Digression #4)

My entry to the "Old but Gold" category of the final contest of the Guilds' Anniversary: an updated version of one of my very first GoH builds.
Two years and a half have past since I posted the original, and time has flown by. I feel like my style and taste has evolved, both as a builder and a storyteller.
Recreating a build designed for the Mitgardian wilderness in the more organised, refined surroundings of an elvish castle in Avalonia, and trying to translate its characteristics features, has been a lot of fun!

________

“Have you noticed, honey," Dresghar asked his niece as his eagle pinned the lure to the ground, "how the airspace above Embervale seems to be a very popular flight route among homing pigeons, lately? Well, my bird and I are only one training session away from finding out what’s it’s all about...”

52631150061_97ec554268_b.jpg

________

Original version:

48574169111_430357e07a_b.jpg

________

More photos of the new version:

52631628543_a50eb2edc1_c.jpg

52630634982_f2369f360c_c.jpg

52631400494_9f1dbd6a26_c.jpg

52631587715_48a7cb4a07_c.jpg

________

And, of course, the recreation would not be complete a bit of information about the birds... 

Spoiler

Native to the hilly plains of Avalonia, the firehead eagle (Aquila Erythrocephala) is a rather uncommon falconry bird due to its large size and aggressive behaviour. The few specimens that have been successfully trained, though, are said to be faithful and highly efficient hunting companions.
52628240504_ce9ba55a35_n.jpg

A highly admired falconry bird, the Historican peregrine hawk (Falco Peregrinus Historicus), colloquially known as greyhawk, is prized by both nobles of commoners all over the Guilds. Due to the impressive speed of its stoop and its high maneuverability, it proves an excellent auxiliary when hunting swift game birds such as doves and quails.
52627995301_7066fa9520_m.jpg

Edited by Aurore
Fixed an image

I'm always a big fan of your building style and choice of colours! You have a recognizable style, even for something simple like groundwork and vegetation (or maybe it's the photography skills).

And I really like your "codex entries" for flora and fauna - I'm a sucker for flavor text!

It's a great update to a build that was already lovely--I like the addition of a stone path and the new variety of birds.  This may be the first time I see the falcon used in a MOC... it's very cool, I need to get me one!

Great work! I figured that falcon would show up in a GoH MOC soon enough - I love the NPU for the lure as well! I love the codex entries too - they're great for world building!

I second what Frike said - you have a very recognizable style. It's been cool to see it develop over the years!

Edited by socalbricks

Nice work :-). I like the new version and you improved many things. There are some cool details in this. I especially like using a small pine tree as the tip of a large one. Seems like a very good solution for that problem :-). Cool MOC! Brick on!

I remembered your original build and wondered how you would improve upon it.  I would argue that we got a second excellent build, falconry with a different bird in another season, rather than an improvement, since the first is so good. I'm rather partial to the bald eagle (just saw one fly over my house last weekend), but the new peregrin is excellent.  The woven pine is great, and I'm rather surprised how well the golden leaves work with the aspens.  I like how you have used the border for slight elevation changes, and the dark green is great. Little squirrel hiding there is fun too! Outstanding job!

Great upgrade! I like how you used the molded tree piece as the peak of the brickbuilt tree, it works really well! I also like the addition of the stone path.

Great remake, especially solid minifigures. Which is sort of your specialty!:thumbup: Looking forward to seeing mini-dolls replacing those!