gyenesvi

Technic Parts We Would Find Useful

9 hours ago, Ryokeen said:

Well even back with the 8880 set the towball to link connection is always the weakest part.

I believe it was weaker back then, and the modern ones are stronger. I remember being surprised as an adult how hard it is to pull the towball out of the link. Are you using old or new links?

Also keep in mind that any connection made from both sides will be stronger than just a pin pushed in.

Sure, I agree with that in general.

And i've just tested it, a 6L link end can be moved quite easy over the collars of an axlepin, just wiggle a bit.

I have also tested it, and it didn't quite work after some wiggling. I think this may also depend on the link itself (because I remember I managed to wiggle it through a stop axle end as well a while ago). Also, it may depend on the pin's collar, as far as I remember some pins have a collar that's not a full circle but is flattened in some parts. Anyways, I don't think such a solution would fly where you have to know what you are doing and be careful otherwise you can break parts if you force them.

14 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I think making one side with a cross-shape would solve the issue of putting things too deep.

But I also like this solution idea. The axle end could have a stop part before the ball which would prevent it from moving. Like this

Towball%20with%20Pin%20and%20Axle.png

However, such a part could only be used with links without stoppers, and currently that exists in 6L only. Producing that in much longer variant (which would be required for large scale live axles where this new 3L pin would be used) would only make sense if the whole link was wider/stronger. Something like this (11L here):

Wide%20Link%2011L.png

Though, on larger scales, links of various lengths would be required, and it would also be desirable to be able to attach springs to them, so the best way would be to make them buildable from liftarms. Something like this could be a possible candidate for the end part, and the liftarm in between could be any length:

A-arm%20with%20Link%20End.png

This design could be optimized to have the transition part between the two ends smoother and shorter..

Edited by gyenesvi

33 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Something like this could be a possible candidate for the end part, and the liftarm in between could be any length:

This design could be optimized to have the transition part between the two ends smoother and shorter..

Is that really significantly more convenient than just using existing suspension arms to build a link? I guess it may not be a fully optimized design yet.

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Is that really significantly more convenient than just using existing suspension arms to build a link?

It's not about convenience, but rather for a new 3L towball pin like the one above, the existing suspension arms are not usable, since you can't mount them onto the middle towball.

I guess it may not be a fully optimized design yet.

Of course, that's what I meant as well, it's just a first idea to show that something like that would be required to accompany a new towball.

However, I am not totally convinced about the usability of such parts. The added value would only be for very heavy duty suspensions, which is not the target for lego. Also, such towballs would be hard to build with, because the links could not to be inserted in the end when adding the axle to the chassis. Basically the axle would have to be built into the chassis, which could become pretty complicated to work with.

Edited by gyenesvi

39 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

It's not about convenience, but rather for a new 3L towball pin like the one above, the existing suspension arms are not usable, since you can't mount them onto the middle towball.

Of course, that's what I meant as well, it's just a first idea to show that something like that would be required to accompany a new towball.

However, I am not totally convinced about the usability of such parts. The added value would only be for very heavy duty suspensions, which is not the target for lego. Also, such towballs would be hard to build with, because the links could not to be inserted in the end when adding the axle to the chassis. Basically the axle would have to be built into the chassis, which could become pretty complicated to work with.

Ok, that makes sense!

45 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

What would work really good IMO though is if you make a triple ball pin that you easily just insert through suspension components. 1 ball slot in the suspension arm, 2 in the hub and just insert them through all 3. Very tough and robust.

13 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

What would work really good IMO though is if you make a triple ball pin that you easily just insert through suspension components. 1 ball slot in the suspension arm, 2 in the hub and just insert them through all 3. Very tough and robust.

Not sure I get what you mean. 3 towballs in a row and nothing else? And do you mean two ball slots (basically like the 6L link ends) on the axle somewhere? Or why the hub?

After thinking for weeks and building stuff, the most common part that I wish I had is basically this:
img.png

because I always reach for this part but then I remember that it isnt quite the same thing:

44809.png

43 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

After thinking for weeks and building stuff, the most common part that I wish I had is basically this:

because I always reach for this part but then I remember that it isnt quite the same thing:

I feel you. The part you describe would be so useful. Funnily enough, there's this which is sort of the same but still too different to be nearly as useful:

11455.png

1 minute ago, howitzer said:

I feel you. The part you describe would be so useful. Funnily enough, there's this which is sort of the same but still too different to be nearly as useful:

11455.png

there's this but its got an extra pinhole, and the other hole is an axle hole where as on my design, everything is a pinhole:

63869.png

2 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

there's this but its got an extra pinhole, and the other hole is an axle hole where as on my design, everything is a pinhole:

63869.png

Indeed, that's also different and while useful in many places, not the same especially when you're trying to fit it in tight spaces or you're in need of perpendicular pinholes.

1 hour ago, SNIPE said:

38 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I feel you. The part you describe would be so useful.

Exactly! Something like that is Number 1 on my wishlist of connectors! So much that it's on the first page of this thread, in the connectors section ;) Although I think it would often be more useful with axle holes, at least the perpendicular one. I don't even understand how Lego got away without it so long, I could use it so often.

Here's the bunch of connectors again, the bottom one:

800x600.png

Edited by gyenesvi

Hi, love this thread! so much inspiration (and also depression that these parts do not exist yet).
I have also designed some parts that were "necessary" in some of my MOCs (and to justify owning a 3D printer) from past years. Some of the parts are available for free from Printables.com (link below). I will be grateful for downloads and likes, in case you find them useful too.

https://www.printables.com/@HorcikDesigns_298061/models
I attach some photos/screenshots of my most favourite ones that I released.

My take on 3 functions through one axis:
dsc_4641.webpdsc_4642.webp

A connector for slim live axle with planetary or Audi HUBS (or any other fitting use)
abc_01.webpexample-of-use.webp

Inner 24t

gear ring for compact planetary reduction
planetframe-asm.webp

and finally, (probably oldest custom part) Ball Bearing Housing for buggymotors - stress relief for direct drive applications 

dsc_0035.webp

14 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

A connector for slim live axle with planetary or Audi HUBS (or any other fitting use)
example-of-use.webp

This is exactly what I'd find most useful for these hubs, looks great, and it's such a missing piece, and what's worst is that the Zetros had the chance to introduce something like it, but they instead made some super bulky axles..

That planetary reduction is also a nice design, what's the down-gearing ratio of that? I also like the buggy motor mounts, though that's a very specialized part.

18 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

This is exactly what I'd find most useful for these hubs, looks great, and it's such a missing piece, and what's worst is that the Zetros had the chance to introduce something like it, but they instead made some super bulky axles..

THIS!

Maybe also like this but with a towball mounting insteat of pin hole.

92907.png

4 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Maybe also like this but with a towball mounting insteat of pin hole.

Indeed, both variations would be useful, and actually both of them (and even more variations) have long been listed in the first post of this thread ;)

1 hour ago, gyenesvi said:

And not very stiff...

On 12/8/2023 at 8:43 PM, HorcikDesigns said:

Inner 24t

gear ring for compact planetary reduction

Just a little note about it : impossible to assemble with three (Z8) planet pinions at 120° exactly (teeth phases constrained by the ring won't match with the sun). Only assemblies with two or four Z8 planets are possible.
(the general rule states that the sum of the teeth on the sun and the ring must be a multiple of the number of (evenly spaced) planets).

51 minutes ago, Thierry-GearsManiac said:

Just a little note about it : impossible to assemble with three (Z8) planet pinions at 120° exactly (teeth phases constrained by the ring won't match with the sun). Only assemblies with two or four Z8 planets are possible.
(the general rule states that the sum of the teeth on the sun and the ring must be a multiple of the number of (evenly spaced) planets).

That's interesting insight, wonder how he put it together then (because I'm sure he did). I think it must be evenly spaced, because it is using a pulley wheel for the planet carrier, right @HorcikDesigns? The ring has 24T if I count correctly. Btw, I think the same construction would work with 4x 8T planet gears as well, I just tried and they would still be far from touching each other. However, there's no technic piece to carry 4 planet gears I think, the closest is this piece, that could carry 2 (unfortunately, there's no free spinning version of the 8T gear):

98585.png

On 1/11/2023 at 8:11 AM, astyanax said:

85x85p.jpg?1658325709.6757798 and 85x85p.jpg?1658326043.6478193 but with axle hole. Especially the former!

I need that first one so badly

@Thierry-GearsManiac Thanks, will note this for future designs, it might be the reason for some issues of this design. Nonetheless, probably due to the increased part clearances and tolerances the reduction kind of works when accidentally assembled correctly.

@gyenesvi Yes, this design use original 6 hole pulley wheel. However, there might be some slight backlash or something that compensates the 7.5° gap so the parts fit together without any stress. too complex thinking right now :D