Clone OPatra

Marvel Superheroes 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

15 hours ago, psqidexslizer said:

That’s not entirely true. They celebrated the 30th anniversary of Batman ‘89 by releasing that giant Batmobile. But that’s the only anniversary that comes to mind as far as Superheroes sets are concerned.

Was that celebrating the anniversary or did they just happen to release a set in same year as an anniversary? I don't have the set but don't remember anything particular about it being 30th anniversary specific. Its not like Star Wars/Harry Potter where they special plaques or figures or branding on the box.

4 minutes ago, upliftingbricks said:

Was that celebrating the anniversary or did they just happen to release a set in same year as an anniversary? I don't have the set but don't remember anything particular about it being 30th anniversary specific. It’s not like Star Wars/Harry Potter where they special plaques or figures or branding on the box.

You are correct that the box didn’t advertise it. I know many media outlets made a big deal about it being released for the 30th anniversary. I thought Lego did as well but I can’t find anything.

21 hours ago, Shiva said:

You call 2020 positively Beaming?!

I don't know if this is a translation error, but yes, I'd say his 2020 figure is smiling a great deal.

On the topic of anniversaries, lego's recently become a big fan of them. It used to be that the only anniversary stuff would be little decals on the side of the box for ANH and ESB, but now every star wars movie gets a decal, the clone wars gets an ambiguous decal, the lego star wars theme itself gets actual anniversary figures, ninjago and HP both got anniversary figures, and the tower is meant to be for the MCU's 15th, right?

Edited by Mandalorianknight

13 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

On the topic of anniversaries, lego's recently become a big fan of them. It used to be that the only anniversary stuff would be little decals on the side of the box for ANH and ESB, but now every star wars movie gets a decal, the clone wars gets an ambiguous decal, the lego star wars theme itself gets actual anniversary figures, ninjago and HP both got anniversary figures, and the tower is meant to be for the MCU's 15th, right?

This is the first time I’ve heard anyone mention the tower being released for the MCU’s 15th anniversary. 

20 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't know if this is a translation error, but yes, I'd say his 2020 figure is smiling a great deal.

I would call that, Hulk now smash you into pieces grin.

Real world update: Jonathan Majors has been found guilty of assault and harassment, and has been dropped by Disney from all upcoming content

Meaning for the LEGO Marvel community, we will likely now have to wait even longer before we get a Kang figure, unless Marvel decides to scrap the character completely (personally recasting should be the go-to move here)

I really wish we could just get some proper Avengers comic sets, with actual supervillains not plastered with henchmen or alien footsoldiers, though I am happy for the X-Men to be front and centre for the time being

Edited by NXS7

1 hour ago, NXS7 said:

Real world update: Jonathan Majors has been found guilty of assault and harassment, and has been dropped by Disney from all upcoming content

Meaning for the LEGO Marvel community, we will likely now have to wait even longer before we get a Kang figure, unless Marvel decides to scrap the character completely (personally recasting should be the go-to move here)

I really wish we could just get some proper Avengers comic sets, with actual supervillains not plastered with henchmen or alien footsoldiers, though I am happy for the X-Men to be front and centre for the time being

See, everyone, the X-men would save the franchise! 

Really hope Lego makes some comic based sets, Avengers or otherwise.

On 12/17/2023 at 10:42 AM, upliftingbricks said:

The Superheroes theme has never celebrated anniversaries including 10 years of the theme and Spider-Man 60th last year. I wouldn't get your hopes up until we hear something to change that pattern.

The reason why Wolverine's anniversary caught my attention is because both Star Wars and Disney 100 were cross promotion across all merchandise under Lucasfilm/Disney which was why they shared the same branding for the occasion. As Marvel also falls under the Disney umbrella and Hasbro are using a similar branding for Wolverine's anniversary I'm interested in seeing whether it will extend across all merchandise partners (not just Lego specifically)

On 12/18/2023 at 10:22 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't think the Avengers Tower is intended to officially be an anniversary set. It was in the works for a while and the timing of its release just happened to coincide with the 15 year mark of the MCU. Looking back I don't think any company was doing anything special for the MCU's 15th. Just the standard product as always.

3 hours ago, NXS7 said:

1 hour ago, hikouki said:

See, everyone, the X-men would save the franchise! 

Really hope Lego makes some comic based sets, Avengers or otherwise.

I'd love to start seeing more comic Avengers sets too. The Infinity Saga has been great but there comes a point where they can only recycle so much before it becomes stale. I feel the comic Spider-Man sets have already reached that point as they rarely offer any new anymore.

1 hour ago, wesker said:

I'd love to start seeing more comic Avengers sets too. The Infinity Saga has been great but there comes a point where they can only recycle so much before it becomes stale. I feel the comic Spider-Man sets have already reached that point as they rarely offer any new anymore.

I disagree, they've barely scratched the surface. I feel like the recent Spider-Man sets shouldn't even be called "comic" sets, moreso the "let's see how many times we can recycle Spider-Man's top 3 villains before people start getting sick of them" sets.

IMO the last truly great comic Spider-Man wave were the Summer 2016 sets. Sure we got Goblin and Ock in those sets too, but they were in their classic costumes that were only used once (as opposed to the same variants that we've been getting in sets since 2021). But besides those two, we got such a variety of villains that have yet to appear again like Hobgoblin, Scorpion, Kraven, classic Vulture, it was amazing. Nowadays it's mostly just 2021 Green Goblin, 2021 Doc Ock, 2019 Venom, and maybe 2019 Carnage here or there (and it's not even the perfect 616 Carnage minifig that only ever appeared in one set from 2015, but the inferior Ultimate version). Even on the allies side in the regular sets lately it's just Miles and Gwen over and over again, remember when the 2016 sets gave us our first Scarlet Spider minifigure and was never seen again save for a Mighty Micros set? 

If Lego really committed to making a proper comic Spider-Man wave again like the 2016 sets we could've gotten villains like classic Electro, Shocker, Chameleon, multiple bigfigs like Lizard, Rhino, Kingpin, maybe even brick built Spider-Slayers by now too. But who am I kidding, by this time next year we'll be seeing pics of Goblin, Ock, and Venom again in the Winter 2025 sets.

13 hours ago, TheBatstan said:

But who am I kidding, by this time next year we'll be seeing pics of Goblin, Ock, and Venom again in the Winter 2025 sets.

Hoping next time we get Goblinized Venom and Octopusized Electro (Amazing Friends Electro with the MCU lightning bolts on her back)

19 hours ago, NXS7 said:

Yeah, we're not getting a Jonathan Majors Kang figure ever.

I hope we get a recast, but I feel like studios are allergic to them now, which is really dumb. On the bright side, the few times we do get recasts seem to be when the actor is charged with something so the studio isn't worried about being "disrespectful" by recasting, so hopefully we do see Kang, maybe a variant that's actually an intimidating conqueror for once. (I liked Loki's Kang, but he wasn't kang the conqueror, he was basically immortus.)

Also- and this is even more off topic but I feel the need to remind everyone whenever news about other actors comes up- Ezra Miller still hasn't been convicted for any of his many, many crimes, which is terrifying.

7 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Venom Street Bike polybag has leaked, let's gooo!!!

This is what real ones have been waiting for. 😤

Honestly this is a pretty solid polybag, being a venomized version of spider-man's bike from the $10 set, and not as hilariously oversized as most marvel bikes are.

20 minutes ago, NXS7 said:

Hoping next time we get Goblinized Venom and Octopusized Electro (Amazing Friends Electro with the MCU lightning bolts on her back)

This is just the venomized wolveriene and wolverized venomarine thing again, and I'm here for it.

56 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I hope we get a recast, but I feel like studios are allergic to them now, which is really dumb. On the bright side, the few times we do get recasts seem to be when the actor is charged with something so the studio isn't worried about being "disrespectful" by recasting, so hopefully we do see Kang, maybe a variant that's actually an intimidating conqueror for once. (I liked Loki's Kang, but he wasn't kang the conqueror, he was basically immortus.)

Recasting allows Marvel to distance Kang from Majors (which is something they were trying to avoid in the case of T’Challa), and it would not even technically be “recasting” since whoever shows up next would be a different Variant of Kang (and NWH has already established that Variants do not need to look alike). 

Something else that recasting allows is a twist in which a character turns out to actually be Kang; this is easy to do in the comics, but any character played by Majors would immediately be recognised as Kang. Maybe we could get a loose adaptation of Mr. Gryphon with Rick Mason buying Avengers Tower and setting himself up as a mentor/supplier for the Young Avengers, only for him to later reveal himself to be Kang? 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

My late comments on the sets:

- Everything is a bit overpriced, and the X-Jet is very very overpriced;

- The NWH expansion pack is my favorite one, and the reused figures are wins for me, which did not buy the big set. Lizard is perfect for me, according the movie design (which is not a very good desing, imo);

- My main issue with the X-Jet (besides the price) is that they gave new printed legs for Wolverine. Why? If there is already a superb fig in the CMF, it would be more logical to give plain legs for Wolverine and use the print for Cyclops legs. Magneto looks better with the angry face. That smile does not work for him at all;

- The War Machine mech is great (maybe the best mech), but I wonder why didn't they make the mech and the fig based on Iron Patriot Mark 2, from Endgame. A different color scheme, and a fig we never got, and the bulkiest suit in the MCU;

- Warbrid is great too. Would be perfect with a third fig: OG Groot with Avatar torso and legs;

- Venomized figs are not interesting for me.

- My wishlist: a buildable Sentinel figure with Cyclops reuse and a new Jean fig.

7 hours ago, PRbrickbuilder said:

My late comments on the sets:

- Everything is a bit overpriced, and the X-Jet is very very overpriced;

- My main issue with the X-Jet (besides the price) is that they gave new printed legs for Wolverine. Why? If there is already a superb fig in the CMF, it would be more logical to give plain legs for Wolverine and use the print for Cyclops legs. Magneto looks better with the angry face. That smile does not work for him at all;

- My wishlist: a buildable Sentinel figure with Cyclops reuse and a new Jean fig.

I would go as far as saying that I dare Lego to produce an X-Men set with no Wolverine. In reality, we will be getting him in just about every upcoming set. I agree with you. They could have just botched the Wolvie minifig in favor of Cyclops.

I want Sentinel set with at least three figs. Perhaps four if one has to be a villain.

If we need more Wolverines, I'd like to see him in street clothes like his undershirt or in his jacket and plaid shirt underneath. The street clothes could easily be repeats.

Cyclops is still the most disappointing minifigure for me. Rogue has her problems but she's more or less looking like herself. Cyclops doesn't have any leg printing so he looks like he's wearing blue pajamas or some knockoff figure that couldn't bother printing all the way. Missing his boots and straps above his boots really kills the look. What are the chances the X-Mansion will feature him but with leg printing?

4 hours ago, hikouki said:

I want Sentinel set with at least three figs. Perhaps four if one has to be a villain.

That would be my preference. The Hydra Stomper, Sakaarian Iron Man and Hulkbuster all had around that number of minifigures. Hopefully a Sentinel would be more in line with those sets and not the cheap $15 mechs that only include one character.

50 minutes ago, JeanGreyForever said:

If we need more Wolverines, I'd like to see him in street clothes like his undershirt or in his jacket and plaid shirt underneath. The street clothes could easily be repeats.

Cyclops is still the most disappointing minifigure for me. Rogue has her problems but she's more or less looking like herself. Cyclops doesn't have any leg printing so he looks like he's wearing blue pajamas or some knockoff figure that couldn't bother printing all the way. Missing his boots and straps above his boots really kills the look. What are the chances the X-Mansion will feature him but with leg printing?

The great thing about Wolverine is he does have plenty of variants to pick from to keep future sets interesting. Street clothes, Fox films, X-Force, Weapon X, Old Man Logan, Days of Future Past plus remakes of the Astonishing and Classic Brown uniforms are just some that come to mind.

For 2024 though I'm happy to stick with repeating the one Wolverine figure and focus more on fleshing out the rest of the roster.

With Cyclops its possible we could get a leg printing in the Mansion. They skipped it on Black Widow in the Quinjet but she got upgraded for the Avengers Tower. D2C sets are also known for having exclusive variants with a higher level of printing than their retail counterparts, especially with the Star Wars UCS sets.

16 hours ago, PRbrickbuilder said:

they gave new printed legs for Wolverine. Why? If there is already a superb fig in the CMF, it would be more logical to give plain legs for Wolverine and use the print for Cyclops legs...

My guess is they have plans to reuse Wolverine for other sets and prioritized his figure looking good over Cyclops.

On 12/18/2023 at 11:09 PM, NXS7 said:

Rumour has it Jonathan Majors has exclusivity on the character in his contract (hence why every variant so far has been him) - this is still a rumour, of course, but has been repeated by scoopers with pretty solid track records. 

Kang Dynasty being rewritten and now referred to as 'Avengers 5' isn't particularly encouraging for the character either. 

I wouldn't particularly mind if Kang didn't show up again, honestly. I don't think he's a super interesting villain, and Loki Season 2 does a good enough job giving the closure that the TVA is now containing Kangs who are potential threats. 

1 hour ago, poisonbricks said:

Rumour has it Jonathan Majors has exclusivity on the character in his contract (hence why every variant so far has been him) - this is still a rumour, of course, but has been repeated by scoopers with pretty solid track records. 

Yeah, but if Marvel cuts ties with him, doesn't the entire contract get... annulled or something? Meaning they can recast him, by then.

To be honest, I only want a Kang minifigure for my Marvel villain display, but aside from that, I really hope the character Kang will stay in the MCU instead of things going in a completely different direction (which seems more and more likely, I believe).

Regards,
Mitch

No site is talking about role exclusivity for Majors, so I think it's not real. On the other hand, everyone claims that the Kang saga will continue. Hopefully we'll get the minifigure, sooner rather than later

7 hours ago, Legocentrico said:

No site is talking about role exclusivity for Majors, so I think it's not real.

Sportskeeda reported on this back in November, covering elements of Majors' contract including length, number of films, and notably this. It was reported on because of the unusual nature of the clause. There are other sites bringing this up again now. Sportskeeda are seen as reliable and pride themselves on it.

22 hours ago, CF Mitch said:

Yeah, but if Marvel cuts ties with him, doesn't the entire contract get... annulled or something? Meaning they can recast him, by then.

To be honest, I only want a Kang minifigure for my Marvel villain display, but aside from that, I really hope the character Kang will stay in the MCU instead of things going in a completely different direction (which seems more and more likely, I believe).

Regards,
Mitch

While I do believe the role exclusivity rumour, it'd also be a little strange for Marvel to not have contingencies in their contracts in case of events like this. It could really go either way, but I think Marvel is in a position where they very well could write out Kang if they wanted to. 

As for LEGO, even if Kang is recast, I think they'd want to avoid making a figure as long as they possibly can, given their reaction to Ezra Miller. I thought at first that they couldn't possibly make Kang Dynasty sets (assuming that title persists, which it may not) without the main villain, but they've done it before for quite a few movies. They wouldn't even need to market the sets as specifically 'Kang Dynasty' - I'm pretty sure the first wave of Endgame sets simply said 'Avengers' on the box 

Do we know much about what to expect after the january sets? We had quite a few leaks last Christmas time so hopefully we should be hearing something soon.