Classic_Spaceman

Sonic the Hedgehog - Rumours and Discussion

8 minutes ago, Lemerbrix said:

Yeah, though I'd argue that amy rose is a more obscure Sonic character than knuckles, I mean, it's called "Sonic the hedgehog and knuckles" and need I remind all the hype around him in the second Sonic movie?

While on the topic of "things that were in the second Sonic movie" does anyone think we could get super Sonic in this theme?

Also, if we get a wave 2, I hope we see a blind box series with some brick built enemies, kinda like mario!

... Yeah so would 4 biggest would sonic, knuckles, Tails and Robotnik but I think including Amy is a fair shout, gives the team some balance and Knuckes is inevitable anyway. 

Definitely grabbing Tails plane set! Have quite the fondness for Sonic 2 so getting Tails is a must. And maaaaann....if the Sonic Ideas set had the new Eggman it would’ve been such an easy buy for me. I can’t stand that buildable one. 

Hi, 👋

Do we think eggman's head is separate from his body? 

That'd be good. I mean the body has no moulded details, unlike say Hagrid pockets or whatever, so I could see Big the Cat reusing it with shorter legs a moulded head and a friend style frog and a fishing rod.

I know Big isn't the most obvious extra character but I think if it's separate from the head then the eggman body could really work for him and he is a featured character in the netflix sonic prime show.

Any thoughts? Any clues as to whether the head is separate or connected.

-J.T.i.m.G

Definitely gonna get the largest set of the wave, not gonna miss my chance for an Eggman figure. But if he appears in the unknown fifth set, I'll get that one instead. (Tbf, that will most likely happen anyway since we already know what it is) 

Edited by FinlayTheFaithful

I won’t buy any, but these sets are just really cool in general and kids will love the playability. I’m glad Lego is at least getting one videogame theme right.

52833607150_df519b88ee_o.jpg
Look at my son
Pride is not the word I'm looking for
There is so much more inside me now

So, uh, yeah. I'm pretty goddamn excited for this theme. :cry_happy: 

In terms of Knuckles being included in the Death Egg Mech set, I'm actually not entirely convinced. I can just as easily see it including Metal Sonic or Super Sonic along with Eggman as I do see it including Knuckles.

3 hours ago, Surge said:

that purple flower in the smallest set, is that a new piece?

I don’t know, it looks very similar to part 35473, which debuted in the unikitty line, and later returned in 2020 for the trolls line, but the flower does look new, so idk

edit: it’s the same part

Edited by Lemerbrix

12 hours ago, Jason Todd is my God said:

so I could see Big the Cat reusing it with shorter legs a moulded head and a friend style frog and a fishing rod.

I was just saying in the marvel thread how I don't think the eggman body wouldn't be quite right for some if those characters ( though something vaguely similar would be a million miles better than the big fig)

But actually I think it would be pretty perfect for Big, ( with short legs not the avatar ones, like you said) I mean he is similarly cartoons and is a bigbody with small (relatively) limbs so yeah with a molded head that'd be pretty great.

7 hours ago, Kintobor said:

In terms of Knuckles being included in the Death Egg Mech set, I'm actually not entirely convinced. I can just as easily see it including Metal Sonic or Super Sonic along with Eggman as I do see it including Knuckles.

If it does include any minifig that we have haven't seen yet, Knuckles is the most logical choice. 

17 hours ago, Jason Todd is my God said:

Hi, 👋

Do we think eggman's head is separate from his body? 

That'd be good. I mean the body has no moulded details, unlike say Hagrid pockets or whatever, so I could see Big the Cat reusing it with shorter legs a moulded head and a friend style frog and a fishing rod.

I know Big isn't the most obvious extra character but I think if it's separate from the head then the eggman body could really work for him and he is a featured character in the netflix sonic prime show.

Any thoughts? Any clues as to whether the head is separate or connected.

-J.T.i.m.G

Eggman's head definitely looks molded in, if you look you can see the collar of his jacket going far up the back of his head and the bottom of the mustache is clearly attached to the torso.

Even if it was detachable, it wouldn't really work for Big because of the coattails which go down over the backs of the legs, which would both look really inaccurate and prevent Big's poofy cat tail from being included.

I would love to see Big next year (and I could definitely see it happening, he's appeared a lot in Sonic media recently and he definitely has a following), but he'd definitely need a unique mold similar to Eggman's, but with a tail and probably being overall larger to account for shorter legs (Big and Eggman are nearly the same height, so just taking a torso the same size as Eggman's and giving it short legs would make Big way too small).

5 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

If it does include any minifig that we have haven't seen yet, Knuckles is the most logical choice. 

In what fashion? In terms of the Sonic series, Knuckles has never fought the Death Egg Robot. (He did in the second movie, but these sets are seemingly based wholly on the games). In terms of LEGO, Knuckles would be a very expensive minifigure to make, and looking at this line they'd likely want to spread that cost across the line like they are with all the other minifigs. (It'd be really strange to have 4 sets that repeat their figures all over the place and then 1 with a super-desirable exclusive).

There's also the issue of, if they DID make a Knuckles and they DID want him to be exclusive to one set, why would they choose the one most likely to be a bestseller because of so many people asking for it for the last year and a half (due to it's omission from 21331)? You'd think they'd have Knuckles exclusive to the largest set, Luke what everyone here thought they'd do with Shadow pre-reveal.

And lastly, again, them leaving out Knuckles has obvious strategy to it in that he's popular enough to headline a second wave, and with his TV series coming out early next year Knuckles hype will be the highest it's been since 1994. My minifig predictions for 76993 are Sonic (standard, not winky), Eggman, and a brickbuilt Silver Mecha Sonic, and I predict that in the second wave (Winter/Spring) the largest set will be ~$70 and include a Knuckles figure with his own Speed Sphere to battle Sonic with.

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

7 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

But actually I think it would be pretty perfect for Big.

2 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Eggman's head definitely looks molded in, if you look you can see the collar of his jacket going far up the back of his head and the bottom of the mustache is clearly attached to the torso.

Even if it was detachable, it wouldn't really work for Big because of the coattails which go down over the backs of the legs, which would both look really inaccurate and prevent Big's poofy cat tail from being included.

I would love to see Big next year (and I could definitely see it happening, he's appeared a lot in Sonic media recently and he definitely has a following), but he'd definitely need a unique mold similar to Eggman's, but with a tail and probably being overall larger to account for shorter legs (Big and Eggman are nearly the same height, so just taking a torso the same size as Eggman's and giving it short legs would make Big way too small).

I didn't notice the coattails ( I still haven't made the out in any of the pictures I've seen) and I thought the collar might've been part of the head you see, but I guess that shoots down that idea.

I think Big might not be a 'Big' enough to get his own new torso (unless the theme runs a long time or is super popular ) but if he could reuse then he be easier for them to make. 

-J.T.i.m.G

I don't think Eggman's head is molded to the torso.
As that would make it at least quadruple molded.
Red, Black, Tan and Brown. And as far as I know they've never done that before. I don't even think Hagrid was Quadruple Molded 

10 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

I don't think Eggman's head is molded to the torso.
As that would make it at least quadruple molded.
Red, Black, Tan and Brown. And as far as I know they've never done that before. I don't even think Hagrid was Quadruple Molded 

I think hagrid was just a standard part with one colour of plastic and all the details were printed.

I'm also on the separate part camp but more out of hope than expectation.

8 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

In what fashion? In terms of the Sonic series, Knuckles has never fought the Death Egg Robot. (He did in the second movie, but these sets are seemingly based wholly on the games). In terms of LEGO, Knuckles would be a very expensive minifigure to make, and looking at this line they'd likely want to spread that cost across the line like they are with all the other minifigs. (It'd be really strange to have 4 sets that repeat their figures all over the place and then 1 with a super-desirable exclusive).

There's also the issue of, if they DID make a Knuckles and they DID want him to be exclusive to one set, why would they choose the one most likely to be a bestseller because of so many people asking for it for the last year and a half (due to it's omission from 21331)? You'd think they'd have Knuckles exclusive to the largest set, Luke what everyone here thought they'd do with Shadow pre-reveal.

And lastly, again, them leaving out Knuckles has obvious strategy to it in that he's popular enough to headline a second wave, and with his TV series coming out early next year Knuckles hype will be the highest it's been since 1994. My minifig predictions for 76993 are Sonic (standard, not winky), Eggman, and a brickbuilt Silver Mecha Sonic, and I predict that in the second wave (Winter/Spring) the largest set will be ~$70 and include a Knuckles figure with his own Speed Sphere to battle Sonic with.

The logic is simple, he is the biggest omission. I think your counterpoint boils down to them saving him for another wave which is also a logical assumption.

Talking about giving Knuckles a speed sphere, it's a shame that it looks to not be compatible with Tails, given his tails and shorter height.

24 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

The logic is simple, he is the biggest omission. I think your counterpoint boils down to them saving him for another wave which is also a logical assumption.

It's about 50% that and 50% it making little sense to have him with the Death Egg Robot specifically and exclusively, the reasons for which are outlined above.

28 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Talking about giving Knuckles a speed sphere, it's a shame that it looks to not be compatible with Tails, given his tails and shorter height.

I think saying "we're absolutely going to get Knuckles in the Death Egg Mech" set is setting ourselves up for disappointment.

9 hours ago, Kintobor said:

I think saying "we're absolutely going to get Knuckles in the Death Egg Mech" set is setting ourselves up for disappointment.

I'm not  saying that at all ( I've sorta settled on the idea that it's more likely that it's just sonic and eggman), I'm saying that I think if we are getting another new character (as in not a repeat from the other sets that we've seen) then knuckles is the most likely, though as I have said @Retro Brick Reviews's point that they are saving him for wave 2 does also make sense.

If there is another new character and it isn't knuckles the I suspect it will be someone who doesn't need any new parts. 

On 4/21/2023 at 1:18 PM, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Sounds like a fair strategy to me, I could totally see an additional badnik being included alongside Mecha Sonic tho

Do we think we'll get keyrings for this theme?

Because I know my sister would love an Amy Rose one.

The sets are really great for what they are. This is what the Mario theme should have been. I think my favorite set officially revealed is Tail's plane and workshop. I've always gone for the smart, tech guys who make all the gadgets for the heroes(like my favorite Transformer Wheeljack). I'll probably get that unless the Death Egg Robot comes with Sonic, Tails and Robotnik which I think it will. I doubt we're getting Knuckles in wave 1. They're probably saving him, Shadow, Metal Sonic, and maybe even Big the Cat for wave 2.

Edited by ToaDraco

3 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Do we think we'll get keyrings for this theme?

Because I know my sister would love an Amy Rose one.

I'd get a Tails keyring for my mother since she was a 90's teen

2 hours ago, Jason Todd is my God said:

Hi,

So if the final set of this wave, the death egg robot, is a retailer exclusive do we have any idea which retailer that is? (at least for the UK) I'd guess Smyths?

-J.T.i.m.G

I live in the UK so I think it will end up at Smyths

My money would also be on Smyths. If not there then maybe Argos?

How do we think they'll approach Knuckles when the time comes? I'm guessing molded head and ordinary arms legs and torso but what I'm really wondering about us the hands and his uh knuckles, with the spikes on them, now they could just go for normal minifig hands (option 1), I'd be okay with that. It maybe new hands like the boxing gloves with the spiky knuckles (option 2) or perhaps normal minifig had but with the spikes included on one side (option 3) or maybe a small part that he holds to represent the knuckle spikes (option 4), like the wolverine claws part but with shorter but thicker spikes.

18 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

My money would also be on Smyths. If not there then maybe Argos?

How do we think they'll approach Knuckles when the time comes? I'm guessing molded head and ordinary arms legs and torso but what I'm really wondering about us the hands and his uh knuckles, with the spikes on them, now they could just go for normal minifig hands (option 1), I'd be okay with that. It maybe new hands like the boxing gloves with the spiky knuckles (option 2) or perhaps normal minifig had but with the spikes included on one side (option 3) or maybe a small part that he holds to represent the knuckle spikes (option 4), like the wolverine claws part but with shorter but thicker spikes.

Probably a new minifig hand mold with the spiked gloves but still able to hold stuff

Man these look fun, my younger self would be very happy.
A very far cry but i'd love to mod Sonic to make him look like the Black Knight version! I do hope they cover some other games, especially Adventure :0

Bit of an odd choice for the Amy set though isn't it? Wouldn't have been my first pick for a Sonic wave.

Edited by kevkipo