TeriXeri

LEGO Creator 2023

Cozy House looks quite different from the usual but I do like it, interesting variations of the alternate builds due to the 3 different colors of plates being water or wood, or green roof.

A lot of parts count did go into 1x1 tiles for detail on roof tiles and ground path but I still like it, and it has a lot of more basic parts to build with, white bricks, 1x4 masonry bricks, larger plates, and those small ladder/fences.

Can't see if the main build and the brown house are hinged, but it's possible that it's split in the middle.

Vintage motorbike wheels are interesting, and the main model looks very good for a €15 set.

Parrot looks very good as well, with some cool alternate builds.

Unicorn and Microscale spaceshuttle are cheap €10 sets , but I like the variants that a Space Shuttle turns into an Astronaut or Vic Viper type build

Dogs set has some interesting choices of parts but looks like a fun set as well , especially the hollow studs to make poodle fur look curly.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just found that you can click a little triangle play button picture in the catalog on Cosy House, and a 3d spin video came up, and it's indeed Hinged, that instantly gives it a lot of bonus appeal. :thumbup: :thumbup: 

Interior is cute too, 3 existing printed 2x2 tiles as paintings on the wall, Bridge, Sailboat at night and the Elephants sunset tiles.

That likely means the brown roof house variant is a big triangle building when closed, and the 3rd build is just tall instead of hinged.

Edited by TeriXeri

Cozy House looks lovely. Not quite a return to the golden age of Creator houses, like 31012, but a pretty huge improvement over the recent residential houses. 

On 1/1/2023 at 2:17 AM, danth said:

The Cozy House looks awesome! I want it.

Agreed! Lots of great details throughout like the gutters, drainpipes, shingles, and terrace. Plus, unlike many "family house" sets, it has sleeping arrangements for the whole family. I also just realized Brickset now has more pics of it now, including the alternate models!

It turns out the B-model (lake house) has a bathroom and can also fold closed into a right triangle shape, as @TeriXeri predicted. Other neat details include some power tools (presumably for boat maintenance), a wrought iron bench, and a record player with stereo speakers.

The C-model (canal house) does not fold, but it looks like the top two floors can be separated and snapped onto the back of the lower two floors for an enclosed layout. It also includes a bonsai on the second floor and some more toys in the attic, including a toy train and what appears to be a Classic Space ship with the familiar blue/grey/yellow color scheme.

The brick-built animals are different in all three models: a cat and a snail in the A-model, a squirrel and caterpillar in the B-model, and a dog in the C-model. Likewise, the minifigures are different from model to model:

• In the A-model, there is a son* with red hair and a green sweater; a mother* with long brown hair and a white T-shirt; and a father* with black hair, a  Space jacket, and a hearing aid.
  • In the B-model, there is a daughter* with black hair and a space jacket; a parent* with long brown hair, a green sweater, and a hearing aid; and a parent* with red hair and a white T-shirt.
  • In the C-model, there is a father* with long brown hair and a space jacket; a mother* with red hair and a green sweater; and a son* with black hair, a white T-shirt, and a hearing aid.

I'm using these familial and gendered terms loosely, mind you — the set description just describes them as "two adults and a child". So there's nothing to say the adults can't be the same sex, that the child can't be a daughter, niece, or nephew, that that the characters in the C-models can't be roommates or neighbors, or that ANY of the characters can't be nonbinary. Aside from the characters' ages, the A-model is described as a "family house" and the adults in that model share a bed, so they are presumably a couple, but that's the only place that any specific familial relationships are implied.

There are some drawbacks, of course. The A- and C- models lack both a bathroom and stairs/ladders to the upper floors, while the B- and C- models lack bedrooms. But these sorts of compromises are not too unusual even in other 3-in-1 houses, and arguably they even provide a creative opportunity for buyers to deviate from the instructions and mix and match their favorite interior features from the different models.

The main reason I like the Cozy House is because it looks like a Friends house. It's a cuter design and cuter colors than most City or Creator houses. But it comes with normal minifigs!

That's pretty much what I want out of City. Friends, but with standard minifigs.

Ah, just saw the Beach Camper Van on LEGO.com as well (that one's not even listed on Brickset just yet)! It's 8-wide with both driver and passenger seats, and pretty nicely furnished in the back from what I can see. I love the brick built crab and palm tree! Plus it's got some of those old-timey beach huts for changing into a swimsuit.

The B-model is an ice cream stand with a beach buggy. It's nicely designed for the most part, although the "stepped" appearance of the front of the beach buggy seems a little unrefined.The curly-haired man from that model gives me Weird Al vibes.

The C-model is a beach house with very lovely colors, plus some nice scenery like brick-built waves and a yucca plant. However, there aren't really any clear pics of the interior, which is where the real make-or-break details for a house model like this tend to be, IMO.

Edited by Aanchir

Beach Camper certainly looks like an improved 2018 camper van, but I think another color might have made it more like a standalone set instead of having a bit of a repeat feel (if you own the original 2018 set that is). But the alternate builds look great as well, love the ice cream shop and even the beach house is a good start point if you add more depth and detail to the walls.

I have a lot of the Creator 3-in-1 beach sets since 2015 so certainly interested, but lower prio compared to others as I own the 2018 Van.

Love the smaller sets this year as well, even the 2023 Space Shuttle, while not minifig scale, it's impressive it has the opening doors and sat delivery arm, the 2019 31091: Shuttle Transporter was a bit similar scale but due to the truck it was a €25 set, instead of this one is just €10.

Edited by TeriXeri

Oh yay, another space shuttle! I would just die if I didn't yet another one. 😒

Hasn't the space shuttle been retired for over a decade? Do kids even know about them? Astronauts go up on the Soyuz now or the Space X Dragon, right?

What's the deal with space shuttles, over and over again?

16 hours ago, danth said:

Oh I agree it doesn't make sense to see the shuttles again and again, I was just commenting how the 2023 set is a direct improvement over the 2019 version of similar scale. 

Shuttle in real life retired 12 years ago in 2011.

Of course something like the 31111: Cyber Drone (sci-fi spaceship with minifig) would be prefered x1000 , even while that set is actually still being sold 2 full years after it's introduction in january 2021.

The 2021 3-in-1 shuttle officially just retired, but then Friends just introduced yet another minifig scale shuttle in 2022 and then we get this 2023 microscale shuttle,  and the big Discovery is still sold as well. 

I don't have many older shuttle sets myself, so I still like how the 2021 3-in-1 Shuttle unofficially combines with the 2022 Artemis rocket (if you remove the white top section).

I don't think LEGO should keep making shuttles for much longer(or maybe just 18+ AFOL models like Discovery). 

Soon there will be a generation of kids who would never have seen a Space Shuttle launch at all, and it's already 12 years ago. 

City is focusing on nasa concepts/missions for Mars and Moon which is ok since it's still sort of relevant with the Artemis program and launch, but I think 3-in-1 should focus more on the science fiction side of things.

Edited by TeriXeri

18 hours ago, danth said:

Oh yay, another space shuttle! I would just die if I didn't yet another one. 😒

Hasn't the space shuttle been retired for over a decade? Do kids even know about them? Astronauts go up on the Soyuz now or the Space X Dragon, right?

You might as well ask what the deal is with castles or pirate ships. Space Shuttles may no longer be current but they have their place in history and in popular media. I feel like even now they remain more recognizable and iconic than any of the craft that have supplanted them.

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Oh I agree it doesn't make sense to see the shuttles again and again, I was just commenting how the 2023 set is a direct improvement over the 2019 version of similar scale.

Oh crap, sorry, that wasn't meant as a direct reply to you. I didn't even realize you had just commented on the shuttle set. Now I see how incredibly dickish my reply looked! I had just happened to see a post on the shuttle set on reddit.

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

City is focusing on nasa concepts/missions for Mars and Moon which is ok since it's still sort of relevant with the Artemis program and launch, but I think 3-in-1 should focus more on the science fiction side of things.

You're right, in fairness, the City stuff provides a more modern alternative. Still seems like the shuttle is prevalent somehow, especially in Creator sets.

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

You might as well ask what the deal is with castles or pirate ships.

Well, except we don't get castles or pirate ships as often as space shuttles. Especially in the Creator theme.

The space shuttle is a specific vehicle*. Imagine getting a classic VW Van set every year, forever. I guess to be fair, there are lots of cars, but very few real life space vehicles to choose from.

*I know there are different space shuttles but they all look exactly the same.

Edited by danth

33 minutes ago, danth said:

The space shuttle is a specific vehicle*. Imagine getting a classic VW Van set every year, forever. I guess to be fair, there are lots of cars, but very few real life space vehicles to choose from.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the Beach Van set was made with the new VW ID. Buzz launch in mind, I know the 3-in-1 set isn't modeled after either variant directly (mainly the T1, but the light position and grille holes has a bit of Buzz in it), but the launch of the new Buzz variant does put the vehicle into new attention, and VW is also celebrating 75 years of it's Van/Bus. (and LEGO has a history of creator expert/icons adult T1 and T2 vans as well)

T1:

combikombi.com-155.jpeg

ID. Buzz:

DB2022AU00554_923055474_1000-1024x585.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Space Shuttles may no longer be current but they have their place in history and in popular media. I feel like even now they remain more recognizable and iconic than any of the craft that have supplanted them.

I'll give you this, the space shuttle is "toyetic" as all heck. The opening bay, the robot arm, grabbing satellites. And it's more "space-shippy" than say a rocket with a capsule inside. You can fly it around in space, and then back to the ground, instead of parachuting back to earth which is what I think the new vehicles do.

I'm still tired of them though. 😝

On 12/31/2022 at 6:20 PM, Agent 86 said:

Cozy House looks lovely. Not quite a return to the golden age of Creator houses, like 31012, but a pretty huge improvement over the recent residential houses. 

I agree those older houses were very very cool, BUT one advantage of these more modern design is their smaller size which is important for those with less than 1000sq feet for a city, but yes those 'modular' homes of a few years back were dogs to be honest.

lo

love the new cozy home, love that it has hinges again (great trend with this building on the hinged Noodle Shop), like the other builds (I may also do the knocked down tower and hinge it).

I'm really waiting however for that Summer Main Street set. I'm thinking it could be 3 buildings akin to the old bike shop and cafe, which would mean alternative builds, which means it's could be a real city builder with maybe 5-10 builds all in. Could be really cool....

Edited by Some Guy With LEGO

On 1/4/2023 at 2:21 PM, danth said:

I'll give you this, the space shuttle is "toyetic" as all heck. The opening bay, the robot arm, grabbing satellites. And it's more "space-shippy" than say a rocket with a capsule inside. You can fly it around in space, and then back to the ground, instead of parachuting back to earth which is what I think the new vehicles do.

I'm still tired of them though. 😝

I mean, as 3-in-1 sets, a lot of them ARE also other types of rockets/spacecraft. So maybe it's just that whenever LEGO decides to do a 3-in-1 spaceship set, a shuttle just happens to end up with "top billing" because of all those play features.

Plus, back when I was a space-crazed kid, the space shuttle was definitely really iconic and cool to me, but so was the much older Saturn V. I remember @Lyichir and I building a huge one (or at least one that felt huge at my age) that sadly fell over and shatttered before we could get any pictures for posterity. So if kids truly just aren't as hyped up about the Soyuz or SpaceX Dragon (I don't know enough kids to know whether or not that's the case), I can definitely see how they might latch onto an older symbol of human spaceflight.

All this said, Creator has sort of oscillated between "modern" focused space sets like shuttles/rockets, and more futuristic stuff like the Cyber Drone and Space Mining Mech, which is a trend I hope we'll see continue. It'd be awesome to see a 3-in-1 set focused on building pulp sci-fi inspired alien spacecraft like flying saucers and tripods, or one with a "moonbase" type model as the primary build!

On 12/31/2022 at 9:20 PM, Agent 86 said:

31012 was definitely pretty great, but I think the Cozy House kinda comes out ahead in my book. The angled roof construction is more complex than just stacking slopes, and results in more realistic-looking eaves, in addition to the realistic gutters and drains. Plus, Cozy House's interior space is used more logically for the needs of a family, as opposed to having a huge garage and a living room with a super high ceiling, but only enough beds for one person! The main area where I think 31012 decidedly comes out ahead is that it includes stairs, which I agree is a pretty serious drawback of 31139 (even if it's one many kids are willing to ignore).

The two sets also aren't really comparable in terms of price tag. Not only did 31012 cost $70 USD compared to 31139's $60 USD, but after a decade of inflation the value of $70 back then is the equivalent of around $90 today. If you adjust for inflation, 31139's price tag is closer to that of 31038, 7346, or 5891.

48 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

The two sets also aren't really comparable in terms of price tag. Not only did 31012 cost $70 USD compared to 31139's $60 USD, but after a decade of inflation the value of $70 back then is the equivalent of around $90 today. If you adjust for inflation, 31139's price tag is closer to that of 31038, 7346, or 5891.

Personally I see the new set as a successor to 31069: Modular Family Villa, at a similar size and price point, build wise the new set is vastly superior.

But I still liked the attempt what LEGO tried with those 2017-2018 "modular" builds, combining sections and switching windows and doors from multiple of those sets was quite fun (I had 1 of each), just has quite a big downside in style and sturdyness.

But I'm glad LEGO changed back to their "townhouse/shop with sidewalk" style in 2019-2022, almost similar to the style used in 2014-2017, and easily adapted to such.

Edited by TeriXeri

So for Summer, there are 2 known sets (Space Rollercoaster and a Street), I imagine the 3rd set is probably retailer/lego.com exclusive (31120 Castle still pretty much is in my country).

I really wonder what direction they'll go , it could go multiple ways : 

• Pirates , the current ship set is from 2020, which is already really long for a big 3-in-1 set, while retirement is unknown, I have a feeling end of 2023 might be it.
  • Sci-Fi Space , just because there's a "space" rollercoaster, doesn't mean there can't be a space set as well.
  • Different Classic theme , like Adventurers but I wonder how that'll fit under 3-in-1, as some aspects certainly rely on the figures and decorated/special pieces to get the same 90s feel to it, but the 3-in-1 Vikings did get unique fig prints and a new hairpiece, maybe adventurers could share some pieces with the Indiana jones wave, seems more likely compared to Western which 3-in-1 does not do horses.
Edited by TeriXeri