steph77

AIRBUS H145 - F-HBRA - Take04 video added

Hi all, This bird lands in my backyard (for real, no joke) on 15/08/2022.

le H145-D3 du CMH - YouTube

They were in a mission to bring help to a man who was experimenting a cardiac arrest.

They stay on site for 20min and, as this thing has landed in my backyard, i had the opportunity to have a closer look at it.

No need to say i instantly knew what to build for the next few month.

After beeing in contact with the CMH (in french Centre Médical Héliporté de Bra-sur Lienne), we have agreed on the realization of this model wich wille be exhibited during the open days of the ASBL next year.

The model will be used by the pilot team to explain the main functionalities of the real machine to child (and adults too) before they can get close to the real machine.

Take01

At first, the model will be based on the excellent custom part from @efferman. However, i had a bad trip trying to understand the functional range of this part, all it's advantage but also limitations.

Actually all the main rotor functionalities are in, and work pretty well, according to my own quality criteria.

On another hand the aibus h145 has some characteristics that are very difficults to reproduce. Two of them in particular are importants. The main model has NO structural pilar between pilot's door and sliding door. Even not in the center of the cabin wich is fully clear of obstacles. This is impossible to built out of lego parts. We agreed of making this concession. The second is that all flight commands cables pass through the central mount of...the windshield! This is also quiet difficultés with lego parts...

So, here am i actually:

9JLrsq.jpg

ysdrA6.jpg

As always, all comments, ideas are welcome.

S.

Edited by steph77

Take 02

Work continues on this one.

- I fine tuned the main rotor commands and drivetrain

- Rebuild the landing bars

- Add the main gearbox with a winch function with clutch and a 2 speeds gearbox for the main rotor.

-Build the pilots's doors.

-Build on openable front cover for the main rotor's control maintenance.

- Build and openable cover for the main gearbox at the rear of the main rotor

-Build a system that operate the tail doors that also open to load the stretcher.

Pictures:

qEMW55.jpg

I3jocv.jpg

Next step will be to add the tail rotor systems, finish the rear end of the cabin.

At this stage, the entire inner space is totally free.

S.

Edited by steph77

Looks soooo cool now!

Should heve been some kind of B-model for the 42145 :-)

One question: Do you plan to also drive the rear rotor?

9 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Looks soooo cool now!

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Jundis said:

One question: Do you plan to also drive the rear rotor?

Yes sir!

The main shaft is already connected and is awaiting at the output of the gearbox for the final tail section design.

I 'll try, but 99% chance to fail, to reproduce a functional fenestron, if i didn't succeed in that, i'll build a regular two blade articulated tail rotor.

The only thing is that sadly, i had no room in the cockpit to connect it to the pilot's pedals, but if i  place a hOG somewhere, i think it will do the job.

Take 03

After a short hollidays week, back at work on this one.

I managed to build the rear section, unfortunately, there will be no fenestron, ways too heavy for the model.

I choice to build a regular two blades rear rotor, wich is adjustable by a lever directly on the tail boom.

Pictures:

Here is the beast. i worked hard on the global shape of it, and i think the result is quiet fine.

ulgxRE.jpg

The typic posture of the H145 D2

dq6AsZ.jpg

The center of gravity is right under the main rotor, the landing bars give a solid stand to the model.

Viewed from the front, you will notice the rear tail fenders that are oriented in the same direction; IRL it is made to help the rear rotor during cruise flight and limit the fuel loss.

jzrZ8d.jpg

rear section and detailed view of the tail rotor mount:

BMMlV1.jpg

1P7SPy.jpg

5X0EcG.jpg

Top view, the 5 blades rotor looks amasing on this one. The design is taken from TLG 42145

1Gm7Gn.jpg

doors opening:

SLWZ3X.jpg

rear section opening via a lever on the left side of the cabin

qBw0Jb.jpg

the stretcher that fits inside

cQhVmA.jpg

Yb4RVe.jpg

FZNaXO.jpg

The space is quiet tiny, but the new battery box is just enormous

Some other views from the ground:

uj3xS4.jpg

Pyui1A.jpg

Tail anti-collision bar. It is monted with a torsion bar system to endorse eventual shocks during landing operation.

cXy50e.jpg

some details:

The opening cover to acces to the flight commands mixer:

QnHIeh.jpg

And the rear one to acces at the winch and drivtrain gearbox:

zqyaHp.jpg

View of the pilot's place:

b4TQDR.jpg

The  front winshield with large vertical view for the pilots:

gIQTjt.jpg

Airbus tags and winch:

74m7sW.jpg

Two speed gearbox, main switch:

ldCDQH.jpg

Master switch on/off is located just behind the right sliding doors and easy to acces.

As usual, any idea, comments are welcome.

S.

Edited by steph77

Hi everybody,

Take 04

Video time.

What has changed:

- New color for the landing bars,

- New rear doors,

-  New rear tail section.

Comments and advices  are always welcome.

S.

Edited by steph77

This looks very nice, so clean compared to the official one, and also looks smaller (cannot judge well, is that right?). It's a good example of when less is more :)

The functionality also seems to be good, I like how the motor is integrated into the tail section, and that you managed to incorporate the gearbox without blowing up the upper part or taking the whole rear section. Good job!

Another great helicopter @steph77! I like the integration of the Electric and Manual functions, and I love the little solution you came up with for the rear rotor collective. Simple and effective. The body work looks spot on, and I love the simple solution to use part 57585 to make the tailplane end plates.

Great job again!

Really nice MOC, packed with functions and very good looking. Always impressive those advanced machines, in my region the EC-135 and AW139 are used by police and the EC-135 T2+ as lifeliner (they also landed a couple of times in the kids playing ground between some trees, no problem for those guys, really impressive). The H145 is used in the northern part of Netherlands were they also have to cover the islands.

Do you plan to create instructions for this model? Just ordered 6 used Technic Rotor Blade, they could be of good use in this model :moar:

What I also didn't know is that the 5 blade-version is an upgrade of the earlier 4 blade version:

This latest upgrade of the H145 family adds a new, innovative five-bladed rotor to the multi-mission H145, increasing the useful load of the helicopter by 150 kg (330 lb).

https://www.airbus.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2020-06-five-bladed-h145-receives-type-certification-by-easa

The tail rotor is massive. But I think it's cool what functions you squeeze into the small rotor!
The cockpit looks nice and tidy. The whole thing is brilliant. And the wheeled stretcher aka transport bed has changed compared to the video. Very detailed now.

Take 05

Hi all!

Let me, at first, give you my best wishes for this new year.

Next to that, i continued working on this model with some major updates.

- First is a new skyline for the cabin's profile,

- The second is the suppression of the center pillar between the doors.

These mods are completed with a new design for the rear rotor. I removed the control of it at the benefit of a better looking rear end. Note that the blades are still adjustable manually. I also managed to make the winch arm foldable.

Pictures:

HeqD1X.jpg

rnqhA2.jpg

ZFpHpc.jpg

39GT4P.jpg

nRIVFa.jpg

Osts1Q.jpg

n7Wznb.jpg

Steph.

Edited by steph77