Sign in to follow this  
jtooker

[Freebuild] Salt Mining in the Westersands

Salt is the chief export of the Westersands.  A critical ingredient for preserving food across Historica makes the work in the heat of the desert a worthwhile venture.  Camels carry it out of the desert into the towns and cities of Kaliphlin and beyond.

Saharan Salt Mining

Like I mentioned on Flickr, really like the technique here for cutting cubes out of the salt.  Great use of wedges and slopes to keep everything looking irregular and organic.  Love the border too!

:thumbup: for the University credit!

Very nice!  I like the cubed technique for the salt blocks, although question their efficiency as a real life practice.  If you could post a slightly larger picture on the forums it would help me.  I had to click through to be able to see the picture.  The minis are great, the brick built camels are fun, and I like the curved slopes for the dunes.  I think I kind of see the idea of the kraft paper background for a desert feel, but the lack of contrast here detracts somewhat from the presentation.  Strangely, I think a grey or even glossy black background here might have helped, but since you have white in the build, it is a challenge photographically.  I'm not sure my vote counts, but +1 for university credit! :classic:

It's always nice to see builds that portray daily life of citizens of Historica. I like the size you chose for this build: large enough to convey the openness and flatness of the salt plains. :thumbup: I like the merchants at the side, and I think the high flagpole is a logical inclusion to locate this salt mine from a distance. I'm going to agree with Grover on the lack of contrast with the background, I don't think I wouldn't minded a white background, actually.

Nice build!

those camels are very sweet! as exetrius already noted, it's cool to see everyday life in GoH. keep it on!