Sign in to follow this  
kahir88

10305 "Lion Knight's" Castle

Two weeks ago, I challenged myself, to build the 10305 Castle, only looking at the pictures that we get so far.

After measuring every stud, in each room, tower, or wall section. Figure out most of the mechanisms in the castle, tried every angle I can say, it is done! More and more review appears these days, so it's my time too, to show you, what was I able to create from my own bricks:

First: I ditched the Queen, young prince, and mostly female warriors, I think, for the latter, it isn't realistic. Also wasn't a fan of the Lion Knights, nowadays, I build with Wolfpack. So, the army was ready.

Second. I changed the interior in some rooms (mostly, the kid's room)

Sadly, had some mistakes.

Like, I didn't build an extra secret room, behind the tree.

Didn't equip the privy chambers, and doesn't put a bell in the belltower. Cause, they weren't detailed in the pictures.

The drawbridge works a bit differently too. Didn't use any weight on either side. The bridge goes down by its own weight (in the original, the weight is on the castle's side, so in that way, it is close). I used a gear rack system, sliding up and down a plate, which makes pressure or releases the pressure on the castle side of the drawbridge. (Sounds difficult, but check it out in the video. :D)

My proudest part was figuring out how to turn the balcony into a bridge. Anyway, I think, my "Why-to-buy-an-expensive-set-if-I-could-build-it-from-my-own-parts" Challenge is done! 

And the pictures:

Front and back of the castle. I think I got really the look.

52221478366_550fc0e687.jpg

52221969290_7d66750190.jpg

52220473542_f415084e70.jpg

52220473477_3c555fec04.jpg

Minifigs: Here are the most changes. Like, the entire Lion Knight army is replaced to be Wolfpack. The Black Falcons replaced by Bull Lnights, (Cedric Gilbert and Weezil). And instead of the noble kid, I got a stable boy.

52221748084_7d61ed43f3.jpg

52220473377_d36ac206e7.jpg

52221748009_48ee57978d.jpg

52221747969_0ffa8f591e.jpg

Interior and extras:

52221495968_0947e792d2.jpg

52221496303_2be3a38ff8.jpg

52221969015_2c2c0db283.jpg

52221477766_2a8d3d6e04.jpg

52221968565_c3e0428000.jpg

Also find more pictures on Flickr,or watch the video here!

Edited by kahir88

Wow, that’s quite an undertaking. The silhouette is there, but executed with your own parts and techniques, which makes it something different in a good way. Populating it with different factions is fun too. 

Congrats on your success.
Your version definitely looks old-school with all those old panels and such. But quite a good job on catching the main view.
Kinda wonder if you plan to adjust your build once the instructions are available?

Lovely work!  I like the retro-take on an already retro set, and the wolfpack is a very nice touch.  The subtle color palette change is quite striking when viewed as a whole. Also really like the cypress tree. Nice job!

Edited by Grover

I'm really impressed with this. I don't think I'd have the patience to build the entire thing like this. This obviously took a lot of hard work.

I'm jealous of your cypress tree. I've never owned one before. I wish I could have a whole forest of those, just like the old catalog photos from the '80s.

I know lots of the old sets have the discolouring but I like that once they been broken up and mixed. Gives great texture.

really like how you’ve used the old castle pieces, Wolfpack’s cool as hell too. 

Not a criticism, but there's something slightly funny to me about the stone walls and roofs being slightly more retro in terms of their colors and yet the tree and timbers being brown instead of the more classic black from the original set.

On 7/17/2022 at 3:48 PM, GeoBrick said:

Your version definitely looks old-school with all those old panels and such. 
Kinda wonder if you plan to adjust your build once the instructions are available?

On 7/18/2022 at 2:08 AM, Grover said:

I like the retro-take on an already retro set, and the wolfpack is a very nice touch.  The subtle color palette change is quite striking when viewed as a whole. Also really like the cypress tree. Nice job!

On 7/18/2022 at 9:23 PM, Rjbricks said:

I know lots of the old sets have the discolouring but I like that once they been broken up and mixed. Gives great texture.

really like how you’ve used the old castle pieces, Wolfpack’s cool as hell too. 

Yeah, having old sets of colors is sometimes great, sometimes a curse. I always told my friends, how much more detail can be built, with these discolored bricks. Like, every brick in that castle has its own story. I consider this a little cheat. Why use smaller, more specific bricks and parts, to build windows, if I have a wall panel, with that size of a window?  So I was able to save them up for those parts, where they were needed most.

On 7/18/2022 at 3:52 PM, jodawill said:

I'm jealous of your cypress tree. 

Yeah, inherited from my older cousin. :D not really used it, always tried to build trees, but this time, I needed to put a regular tree in front of the castle, and why not this?

On 7/19/2022 at 9:06 PM, Lyichir said:

Not a criticism, but there's something slightly funny to me about the stone walls and roofs being slightly more retro in terms of their colors and yet the tree and timbers being brown instead of the more classic black from the original set.

I'm always up for criticism. It helps, to become better. I like, to follow my ideal pattern. Like, for stones, rocks are dark blue, walls are light blue, and maybe sometimes dark blue if I want some transition. Like, a wall was carved out of a rock, and there are some rough parts. And everything that is made out of wood, is brown. Like trees, containers, planks, and yes. the timbering on the house. I like this way, Maybe next time, I could use blacks too, and "this timber was coated black"

Any way. Thanks for commenting and your opinions. I think, if we will have the instructions, I will build it again. and maybe make a comparison.