danth

New parts useful in Space MOCs

29 minutes ago, danth said:

Whaaat, the 60396 truck windscreen is classic trans green, not trans-light green as it appears on the box!

I did not realised that - Nice! 

Are there any recent or more modern (and therefore easier to obtain) parts that would look good in an Ice Planet MOC?

Any more modern torsos that could work for Ice Planet figures? (the original stuff is hard and expensive to get in Australia and high shipping costs makes ordering from overseas expensive). I do have a few of https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=973pb4585c01 but I don't think those will work since everyone on the Ice Planet is wearing space suits. For helmets I was thinking https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=49663pb01 in white and https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=89159 in trans-fluro-orange.

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

Are there any recent or more modern (and therefore easier to obtain) parts that would look good in an Ice Planet MOC?

Any more modern torsos that could work for Ice Planet figures? (the original stuff is hard and expensive to get in Australia and high shipping costs makes ordering from overseas expensive). I do have a few of https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=973pb4585c01 but I don't think those will work since everyone on the Ice Planet is wearing space suits. For helmets I was thinking https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=49663pb01 in white and https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=89159 in trans-fluro-orange.

Several years ago this windscreen appeared in Trans. Neon Orange in an Aquaman set—a great modern alternative to the old helicopter windscreens used on some of the classic Ice Planet sets. Nexo Knights was also full of good Trans. Neon Orange windscreens, as was the first year of Monkie Kid to a lesser extent. Really, while it's sad that Trans. Neon Orange went away recently, we were lucky enough to be almost spoiled for it in its last few years!

Sadly we have not been so spoiled for good Space wheels in white. I would love if some of the recent Space-styled wheels from Nexo Knights or Ninjago would appear in white in a future set!

12 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Sadly we have not been so spoiled for good Space wheels in white. I would love if some of the recent Space-styled wheels from Nexo Knights or Ninjago would appear in white in a future set!

I wonder if LEGO will use this new wheel type beyond just 4+ sets as well : 

6440829.jpg6430993.jpg

The main thing I am stuck on is finding a torso that could work for ice planet and doesn't cost $$$ like the originals do.

3 hours ago, jonwil said:

The main thing I am stuck on is finding a torso that could work for ice planet and doesn't cost $$$ like the originals do.

Most recent torso I could think of is from the 2022 Ice Festival set 80109 , which should be more widely available in "new" condition , compared to the originals from 30 years ago.

973pb4585c01.png

I know it's not the same but it's something at least.

Edited by TeriXeri

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

Yeah, suitable torsos could be a tricky aspect—since they're reliant on the type of printing and, especially for space themes, often need a certain degree of theme specificity compared to historic or "modern-day" themes where designs can feel slightly more interchangable. Depending on how you're approaching "uniforms", one option you might consider helpful would be armor pieces like or this or this, which can cover part or all of a torso's print with molded detail—useful if you find a torso that is close to what you want but has faction-specific iconography that doesn't match what you're going for.

Personally I feel like the torso from the Lunar New Year sets would work, since it suits the aesthetics of the theme even if it's not necessarily a "realistic" space suit.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=87754 in white would work well, it covers up a lot of the torso (and has built-in airtanks) and I actually own plenty in white (unlike the other suggestions)

Could then look for a torso in my box of space torsos that looks good enough when covered up by this helmet (and I can use it with the https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=89159 visors in trans-fluro-orange I have)

On 9/26/2023 at 10:37 AM, TeriXeri said:

973pb4585c01.png

I actually like these torsos for Ice Planet; I can see Krysto having a non-breathable atmosphere (due to the lack of plant life) but Earthlike atmospheric pressure (negating the need for pressurised spacesuits). Also, the original designs had what looked like a breathing apparatus over a fur-lined coat, so these torsos are not far off from the originals. 

June parts have landed on pick-a-brick. Anyone spot any new parts that would be good for space stuff?

12 hours ago, jonwil said:

June parts have landed on pick-a-brick. Anyone spot any new parts that would be good for space stuff?

Purple air tanks are back in stock, along with orange ones (from the City exploration sets). The medium azure diving helmets could be useful, the City exploration torsos look sleek and sci-fi enough at least for cyberpunk streetwear, and the Imperium Minifig parts (from Ninjago) are very sci-fi! 

Once the parts order I placed just under 2 weeks ago gets here with my purple airtanks, I will have every color of airtanks that exists.

Not after Cyberpunk but more Space (Ice Planet, Blacktron, Space Police, M:Tron, Exploriens, UFO, that sort of thing)

The Ornithopter has multiple canopies recoloured in the new trans-black! Also, the wings appear to have a new mould as well. 

Edit: The front canopy is a new mould! It looks like an angular version of this piece

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

19 hours ago, AmperZand said:

A forthcoming Monkie Kid set will contain a Classic Space helmet in green. 

Hopefully it's the standard green and not the slightly lighter green.

20 hours ago, Inspecter said:

Hopefully it's the standard green and not the slightly lighter green.

Whatever shade it is, I reckon there will be a set or range in due course with a CS spaceman in that colour along with other colours. There may even be an Everyone Is Awesome type set but with CS astronauts. I have no evidence for it, just a hunch.

44 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

There may even be an Everyone Is Awesome type set but with CS astronauts. I have no evidence for it, just a hunch.

This has been a fairly common mod since the original released, so I can see LEGO doing it. I hope that if we do get one, it has a Classic Space-style frame (blue supports, grey antennas and dishes, lights, etc) and a brickbuilt crater base, rather than just being a direct remake of the original but with CS astronauts in place of monofigs. 

If that were the case with a Classic Space themed Everyone is Awesome, we would not only get a CS astronaut in that slightly lighter green, we would also get one in bright blue as well. I do hope the helmet is the standard green though but looking at the picture it does seem bright, but that could just be the lighting.

6 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

This has been a fairly common mod since the original released, so I can see LEGO doing it. I hope that if we do get one, it has a Classic Space-style frame (blue supports, grey antennas and dishes, lights, etc) and a brickbuilt crater base, rather than just being a direct remake of the original but with CS astronauts in place of monofigs. 

I’m with you in preferring blue and grey CS builds rather than an Everyone Is Awesome type build, not because I’m anti-LGBT (I’m not!) but because I’m a CS fan.

I suspect CS would be the direction LEGO would take anyway. It would avoid the set being overtly LGBT and therefore make it less sellable in markets that ban or frown upon the promotion of LGBT such Russia, much of the Middle East, conservative parts of the US and some parents/grandparents buying for kids. If the astronauts were in Everyone Is Awesome colours but the builds were blue and grey, that could just be a CS set, right?

9 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

I’m with you in preferring blue and grey CS builds rather than an Everyone Is Awesome type build, not because I’m anti-LGBT (I’m not!) but because I’m a CS fan.

I suspect CS would be the direction LEGO would take anyway. It would avoid the set being overtly LGBT and therefore make it less sellable in markets that ban or frown upon the promotion of LGBT such Russia, much of the Middle East, conservative parts of the US and some parents/grandparents buying for kids. If the astronauts were in Everyone Is Awesome colours but the builds were blue and grey, that could just be a CS set, right?

You misunderstood - I did not mean that I wanted a Classic Space design in place of the rainbow, but instead a CS-style frame around it (blue supports going up the sides, a bridge across the top with antennas, radar dishes, and lights, moon craters around the base of the model, etc). 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

Its not a new part but the 2 x 2 radar dish in trans-yellow is now for sale on PaB as ID 6462604 (its out of stock right now but keep an eye on it and it will return)

Dreamzzz parts are all up for sale as well.

On 11/14/2023 at 7:46 PM, jonwil said:

Its not a new part but the 2 x 2 radar dish in trans-yellow is now for sale on PaB as ID 6462604 (its out of stock right now but keep an eye on it and it will return)

Dreamzzz parts are all up for sale as well.

It's not a new part, but it's been over 30 years since it's appeared in a set and the old polycarbonate ones are $6 on Bricklink. I ordered 100 of them to make sure I have a lifetime supply before they go away. Of course, I say that, and 5 years from now I'll come up with a MOC that requires a few thousand of them. :pir-laugh: