danth

New parts useful in Space MOCs

6 hours ago, Killian said:

Oh, OK. I don't have any classic space stuff. Had a look and the darker green looks slightly less see through than the bright green

If you don't have any windscreens in that color, a good comparison would be the port/starboard lights on a lot of ship and aircraft sets (most of those still use classic trans-green). The difference between the darker classic trans green and trans bright green (introduced for Atlantis in 2010) is pretty significant—trans bright green is (obviously) brighter, and also more fluorescent (though not as fluorescent as trans neon green).

Personally I tend to prefer trans bright green for windscreens in a lot of cases, since it's a great middle ground between trans green (which can be dark and hard to see through) and trans neon green (which can sometimes be overwhelmingly bright). But for a classic-inspired MOC, you'd generally want to try to use the original colors where possible, since the difference in brightness is so dramatic and as such significantly alters how well they complement other parts of the traditional color schemes.

Trans-Dark-Blue is another color that hasn't been seen in windscreens in ages. (I think the last time we saw it was in Space Police III)

At least we got a few trans-red windscreens in Monkie Kid this year.

The 2015 and 2016 Quinjets had trans dark blue windscreens, but those were already six and seven years ago.

For any UK based Earthlings, just found this in WHSmiths in Leeds for a great price today. The minifig should be good for space MOCs.

!                                                                                                                                    s-l500

On 11/26/2022 at 10:25 PM, jonwil said:

Trans-Dark-Blue is another color that hasn't been seen in windscreens in ages. (I think the last time we saw it was in Space Police III)

At least we got a few trans-red windscreens in Monkie Kid this year.

Speaking of trans-red windscreens, there's a new one in the Miles Morales car from the Marvel theme next year.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

Speaking of trans-red windscreens, there's a new one in the Miles Morales car from the Marvel theme next year.

I saw those pics and totally missed that. I thought it was trans clear or trans black with red bricks behind it. You must be right though. I think I can just barely make out the trans red now...

On 12/2/2022 at 9:30 AM, Classic_Spaceman said:

The new Cyber Stunt Bike has a Minifig that feels like an update of Unitron, and even includes a Trans-Dark Blue visor! 👍

I was trying to figure out what that fig was reminding me of!

It's obviously not authentic to the original sets, but that new neon yellow color does certainly give off some Unitron vibes!

Not a new part but.

60384: Penguin Slushy Van looks to have those half cylinder parts in trans dark blue on top of the van,  so could work in Space Police 3  / Exploriens.

1737-1.jpg5973-0000-xx-33-2.jpg60384_alt2.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

2x trans clear unprinted Razor Crest windscreens in one of the Friends sets, I think it’s the diner.

Edit, it's the salon.

Edited by icm

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

Not a new part but.

60384: Penguin Slushy Van looks to have those half cylinder parts in trans dark blue on top of the van,  so could work in Space Police 3  / Exploriens.

That part has not appeared in Trans-Dark Blue since 2010 (and was only included in four SP3 sets and one Dacta set), so its inclusion in a relatively small City set is quite welcome! 

The penguin slushie guy is an undercover space cop catching extraterrestrial perps in New York City.

Not necessarily useful yet (at least for existing factions), but one of the new "Spidey and his Amazing Friends" sets for younger builders has a new space wheel that seems to take inspiration from the 80s/90s ones! https://brickset.com/sets/10791-1/Team-Spidey-s-Mobile-Headquarters

If it shows up in black it'll therefore be useful for all sorts of themes, and if we're lucky enough for it to show up in white we might finally have a modern wheel piece suitable for Ice Planet MOCs!

The large base pieces of the mobile hq would be good for simple freight barges (ie boats) or they would work to lay the keel for an M-Tron cargo vessel (ie spaceship).

35 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Not necessarily useful yet (at least for existing factions), but one of the new "Spidey and his Amazing Friends" sets for younger builders has a new space wheel that seems to take inspiration from the 80s/90s ones! https://brickset.com/sets/10791-1/Team-Spidey-s-Mobile-Headquarters

If it shows up in black it'll therefore be useful for all sorts of themes, and if we're lucky enough for it to show up in white we might finally have a modern wheel piece suitable for Ice Planet MOCs!

Nice! I like them. They looks smaller than 2515 but bigger than 2593. Very promising.

New wheels do look interesting, thinner then the older space wheels (well old is relative, last used in 2020 ninjago) but still have the 4 studs outside.

I wonder about the diameter, nexo knights introduced an open sided 37 mm sized wheel (also used in sets like a City and 3-in-1 Rover), but this still looks a little bit larger, somewhere around 45 would be my guess.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 12/8/2022 at 1:36 PM, TeriXeri said:

thinner then the older space wheels

Good eye. My excitement has waned a bit now that you've pointed this out. The width of the old space wheels is what made them special and feel "spacy".

Many useful parts in 31133: White Rabbit , white is a useful color, and it has some great selection of quarter round parts and slopes for a certain style of spaceships or space cannons, radar domes,  fuel tanks etc. .

For a smaller set like this, looks to have at least enough parts to form multiple types of full circles out of the quarter parts as there look to be 4 of each.

Looks to have at least 6 of the more recent 3x3x1 quarter dome, not new either, just still recent enough, 2021, for being in larger quantities in smaller set, alongside other dome and quarter dome and arch parts as well.

6334524.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

On 1/19/2023 at 8:43 AM, Killian said:

The leak of the new Stitch minifigure shows a four armed torso in a spacesuit

Good to see those arm molds finally re-used from that one star wars set from 5 years ago