Sign in to follow this  
Commander Wolf

[MOC] 1:48 New York Central / Boston and Albany D-2a (1912 2-4-4T & 1928 2-6-6T)

Hello Train Tech! I haven’t been here for a while, but I have been building trains! I recently came across an old thread on the Boston and Albany 4-6-6T suburban tank engine, and I saw a comment about its smaller sibling. Well, I am here to share not one, but two suburban tank engines, including the aforementioned 2-6-6T, which I still consider one of my best models to date. 

To make things as confusing as possible, the NYC called both of these engines D-2a, though not at the same time. The 1912 D-2a (2-4-4T) went out of service shortly before the 1928 D-2a (2-6-6T) changed names. Both engines can navigate all R40 geometry and are much more buildable and usable than my first suburban tank attempt, though the 2-4-4T has to use Powered Up due to size limitations.

The two videos at the end go into more detail about each engine and build.

img_1167.jpg

img_1170.jpg

img_1172.jpg

img_1173.jpg

0098.jpg

Edited by Commander Wolf

Good to see you back here @Commander Wolf!

That's an impressive locomotive - you've packed a lot of detail into a small space on both and they look great side-by-side!  Your handiwork is definitely an excellent reason for lack of presence on here recently!  Approx. how many pieces would you say they include each at this level of detail?

Welcome back, and quite the pair of commuter engines you've built. The details you crammed in are superb. Getting them working on R40 curves and not having to put the battery in a car behind them is even more impressive.

Oh wow! That's a pair of amazing little engines. All the detail you've packed in is incredible. Wonder Twins!

5 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Good to see you back here @Commander Wolf!

That's an impressive locomotive - you've packed a lot of detail into a small space on both and they look great side-by-side!  Your handiwork is definitely an excellent reason for lack of presence on here recently!  Approx. how many pieces would you say they include each at this level of detail?

Hello, it's about 900 for the 2-6-6 and 600 for the 2-4-4. It should be all official parts as well save for some small BBB wheels!

These are truly incredible! You really caught the essence of the locomotives' design. Here's hoping we see more of your creations!

(I bought the plans of your Canadian National X-10-a off Rebrickable to build and can't wait to get into it!)