Legochaek

Minifigures with Disabilities: Discussion and Rumours

I think it’s super awesome that we’re getting more disabled figures, as a disabled person. 

So far, we’ve got: 
People Pack Wheelchair Guy 

Friends Wheelchair Guy

Hearing Aid Guy

Visually Impaired Guy with Service Dog

Wheelchair Racer

Prosthetic Leg Guy (who for some reason has a running blade rather than an everyday prosthetic?) 

EDIT: 

Plus Hearing Aid Lady, 

Wheelchair Skate Park Boy

Friends Horseriding Blind Person

Clumsy Guy with crutches  (kinda) 

Have I missed any? I would really like some more disabled minifigures, like a recoloured wheelchair in a fun colour, everyday prosthetic leg, a limb difference in the arms minifigure, a cane piece, a walker piece, prosthetic arm and electric wheelchair. 

This thread is for discussions about new disabled minifigures and pieces coming up! 

I agree it’s so good to see these figures and mobility aids being normalised across sets and themes. Representation matters so much. 
Would love to have seen some sort of revisit to the ‘teamGB’ Olympics or sports CMF series including some Paralympic athletes!

I wonder what an ‘everyday’ prosthetic leg would look like in Lego terms? One of the impactful things is showing differences, but we also know that many eg prosthetics are so good as to be not readily visible. Similarly, there are so many invisible disabilities. 

I think that’s why the prosthetic leg is a ‘running blade’ - to be clear what it is. I think that’s also why the hearing impaired figure has a clearly printed hearing aid - despite so many heading aids being virtually invisible, and the fact that minifigures don’t have ears!

Edited by williejm

Im genuine asking myself, there was secret war, catastrophe in Lego city or police state and its brutality is taking toll?

There is a lot persons with dissabilities in lego city with recent few years, I will be probably statistically of limits.

Friends set 41722 pics have shown up - not only is there a visually impaired minidoll with a white cane and assistance dog, but she’s riding a horse! 🙌🏼

Just now, Ondra said:

Im genuine asking myself, there was secret war, catastrophe in Lego city or police state and its brutality is taking toll?

There is a lot persons with dissabilities in lego city with recent few years, I will be probably statistically of limits.

Not at all. Statistically there are many people living with disabilities, something like 1 in every 5 people in the U.K., for example. 

2 hours ago, williejm said:

The standard wheelchair also came in red / green in the skate park set!

Oh yeah! That’s a cool wheelchair- (on a side note I like the way he’s gone up the basically vertical skate ramp in his wheelchair :laugh:, that’s something I kinda wanna do )

1 hour ago, williejm said:

I agree it’s so good to see these figures and mobility aids being normalised across sets and themes. Representation matters so much. 
Would love to have seen some sort of revisit to the ‘teamGB’ Olympics or sports CMF series including some Paralympic athletes!

I wonder what an ‘everyday’ prosthetic leg would look like in Lego terms? One of the impactful things is showing differences, but we also know that many eg prosthetics are so good as to be not readily visible. Similarly, there are so many invisible disabilities. 

I think that’s why the prosthetic leg is a ‘running blade’ - to be clear what it is. I think that’s also why the hearing impaired figure has a clearly printed hearing aid - despite so many heading aids being virtually invisible, and the fact that minifigures don’t have ears!

That would be awesome! I made a winter Paralympic MOC once with wheelchair curling and things! Yeah you’re probs right with the prosthetic leg- I was thinking a recolour of the peg leg piece but instead of the rounded part at the bottom, a normal square foot piece? That could work. 

1 hour ago, Poodabricks said:

There was also a lady with hearing aids that came in 60271. 

oh yeah!

1 hour ago, Ondra said:

Lol. Yeah a couple of people in wheelchairs over about 70 sets, basically the whole population of Lego City has been afflicted

A deaf-blind AFOl with a guide dog here. 

I have to be honest - I’m greatly pleased with TLG including minifigures/minidolls that do represents people with disabilies. As soon as I saw a guide dog, my mind went “ABOUT DAMN TIME! THIS DOES REPRESNT MY LITTLE MAN NOW!” I mean, I am really happy with TLG going that direction that allow children with/out disabilies to learn / recognize a range of disabilities, which it’s a perfect opportunity. I mean some of children will say “Hey this one is like me!”

Okay. I hope TLG will include interpeter with a plain black torso that says “Sign Language Interpreer” to help deaf / hard-of-hearing (please don’t use hearing impaired, it’s not okay to say that, my friends and I are not fans of hat word, in my opinion) citizens interact with hearing ones. Or a 1x2 tile printed with Braille cells in a book for visually impaired / blind citizens in school so they can learn how to read Braille. 

I’m so glad there are guiding stick/cane, guide dog, wheelchair, artificial leg now. I am not sure about artificial arm…. I am little worried that it may look like a robotic arm.

One note: a pirate back in 1980s is NOT counted as a person with disabilies. Sure, he has eyepatch, hook, and peg leg but it’s just a pirate stereotype. Just saying. :) 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

3 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I have to be honest - I’m greatly pleased with TLG including minifigures/minidolls that do represents people with disabilies. As soon as I saw a guide dog, my mind went “ABOUT DAMN TIME! THIS DOES REPRESNT MY LITTLE MAN NOW!” I mean, I am really happy with TLG going that direction that allow children with/out disabilies to learn / recognize a range of disabilities, which it’s a perfect opportunity. 

Okay. I hope TLG will include interpeter with a plain black torso that says “Sign Language Interpreer” to help deaf / hard-of-hearing (please don’t use hearing impaired, it’s not okay to say that, my friends and I are not fans of hat word, in my opinion) citizens interact with hearing ones. Or a 1x2 tile printed with Braille cells in a book for visually impaired / blind citizens in school so they can learn how to read Braille. 

I’m so glad that there is a guiding stick / cane shown up in Freinds set. I do have a black harness for a guide dog mold (i know there is a lime green harness). 

One note: a pirate back in 1980s is NOT counted as a person with disabilies. Sure, he has eyepatch, hook, and peg leg but it’s just a pirate stereotype. Just saying. :) 

Yeah that’s a good idea!

Haha I didn’t mean the pirate was disabled I meant they could use part of the piece. (But technically…) :pir_laugh2:

7 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I have to be honest - I’m greatly pleased with TLG including minifigures/minidolls that do represents people with disabilies. As soon as I saw a guide dog, my mind went “ABOUT DAMN TIME! THIS DOES REPRESNT MY LITTLE MAN NOW!” I mean, I am really happy with TLG going that direction that allow children with/out disabilies to learn / recognize a range of disabilities, which it’s a perfect opportunity. 

Totally not my call to make, and I like to hear from those who are identifying as having disabilities and learn what they prefer - but in my experience there’s a lot of flexibility about specific language to use or not use. I usually use the rule that if someone asks me not to use it, then I respect that - but just think it’s something we all vary with in cultural and language terms.

Lego *did* produce Braille bricks recently - but I can’t remember what those were for - think they might have been specifically for schools etc.

I see Lego also making an effort of people not just being defined by their ability, so for example we have someone using a wheelchair on a skate ramp, someone blind riding a horse, and a wheelchair athlete. I think that’s totally the right way to do it. 

24 minutes ago, williejm said:

Totally not my call to make, and I like to hear from those who are identifying as having disabilities and learn what they prefer - but in my experience there’s a lot of flexibility about specific language to use or not use. I usually use the rule that if someone asks me not to use it, then I respect that - but just think it’s something we all vary with in cultural and language terms.

Lego *did* produce Braille bricks recently - but I can’t remember what those were for - think they might have been specifically for schools etc.

I see Lego also making an effort of people not just being defined by their ability, so for example we have someone using a wheelchair on a skate ramp, someone blind riding a horse, and a wheelchair athlete. I think that’s totally the right way to do it. 

Yeah you made a good point about speicific lanauge. Now I apoglozie if I sound like I’m policining anyone.

-Ah, yes. I remember these Braille bricks too. I think there is a link somewhere eon Lego S@H somehwere. I am very sure I saw it there. I think it helps visually impaired / blind children to interact and learn through Braille in fun way. I need to look for that link.

Oooo, you made an excellent point! I recall seeing people in wheelchairs playing basketball yet some of them don’t have disabilities. Honeslty, I like that idea! 

EDIT: Oh yeah, I just remember reading an article last year - a sighted woman used blindfold so she did a blind running while her husband guided her to raise awareness because she has a visually impaired cousin. Another good example to add. 

32 minutes ago, Lego-fire said:

Yeah that’s a good idea!

Haha I didn’t mean the pirate was disabled I meant they could use part of the piece. (But technically…) :pir_laugh2:

I totally got you. :) 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

Hey folks! I have a dumb quesiton - are clutches (from Clumsy Guy in CMF) counted as a representation for person who can’t walk?

As a deaf-blind gut who can walk, I may not understand that perspective/definition very well. 

25 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Hey folks! I have a dumb quesiton - are clutches (from Clumsy Guy in CMF) counted as a representation for person who can’t walk?

As a deaf-blind gut who can walk, I may not understand that perspective/definition very well. 

Sure! 

I mean he can’t walk well

I think most people with permanent or chronic walking difficulties use a different kind of crutch (wrist-mounted) than the ones Clumsy Guy is sporting, but his broken leg does count as a temporary disability if nothing else.

2 minutes ago, Karalora said:

I think most people with permanent or chronic walking difficulties use a different kind of crutch (wrist-mounted) than the ones Clumsy Guy is sporting, but his broken leg does count as a temporary disability if nothing else.

Right, and of course some conditions would mean a stick was fine one day, but another you may need a crutch or a chair. 

3 minutes ago, Karalora said:

Yeah that’s what I think so too. I was told that it’s a disability when they saw this Clumsy Guy - I found myself scratching my hair. 

1 minute ago, williejm said:

Right, and of course some conditions would mean a stick was fine one day, but another you may need a crutch or a chair. 

This. 

4 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Yeah that’s what I think so too. I was told that it’s a disability when they saw this Clumsy Guy - I found myself scratching my hair. 

Yeah I think there’s a difference though. As saying that one Clumsy Guy ‘represented’ people with disabilities was clearly a biiiiiig reach.

3 minutes ago, williejm said:

Yeah I think there’s a difference though. As saying that one Clumsy Guy ‘represented’ people with disabilities was clearly a biiiiiig reach.

Right?? I hope TLG makes a new part for a person that struggles with walking instead of standard clutches. 

5 hours ago, Karalora said:

This is true. My Cerebral Palsy prevents that kind, because my balance isn't good enough.

The title seems to imply Lego has disabled minifigures discussion and rumours.  :wink:

Pirate hook and wooden leg are low tech prosthetics.  The pirate can be considered disabled from workplace related injuries.  There are short term and long term disabilities. Broken leg with clutches is short term.  The pirate severed or amputated leg and hand would be a long term.

@dr_spock and @Modeltrainman, I'm currently involved in a project where they help children with Cerebral Palsy with therapy around the pirate theme: their 'good' hand is immobilized using a pirate hook while they are encouraged to play with their 'cp' side. Seems that this kind of therapy works really well!

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

Pirate hook and wooden leg are low tech prosthetics.  The pirate can be considered disabled from workplace related injuries.

Agree

4 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Pirate hook and wooden leg are low tech prosthetics.  The pirate can be considered disabled from workplace related injuries.  There are short term and long term disabilities. Broken leg with clutches is short term.  The pirate severed or amputated leg and hand would be a long term.

Nice catch there! I like that one. Don't forget the recent hospital sets. The manual laborer form 60204 has a cast, which also points out a workplace related injury. Then there is Wallop who appears in the 60330 hospital. He has an alternative face where it looks as though he was hit in the head. 

6 hours ago, JopieK said:

@dr_spock and @Modeltrainman, I'm currently involved in a project where they help children with Cerebral Palsy with therapy around the pirate theme: their 'good' hand is immobilized using a pirate hook while they are encouraged to play with their 'cp' side. Seems that this kind of therapy works really well!

That's really cool, sir!

2 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

Nice catch there! I like that one. Don't forget the recent hospital sets. The manual laborer form 60204 has a cast, which also points out a workplace related injury. Then there is Wallop who appears in the 60330 hospital. He has an alternative face where it looks as though he was hit in the head. 

Cats can be short or long term. Doctors used to try to cast me to fix my leg. Never worked, but they tried.

15 minutes ago, Modeltrainman said:

That's really cool, sir!

Cats can be short or long term. Doctors used to try to cast me to fix my leg. Never worked, but they tried.

Wow… that sounds, not good!

was thinking about the wrist grip crutch/stick - would sure be a design challenge for Lego given the way the arms and torsos are, but it should be achievable - presumably gripped by the hand, and having a piece surrounding the lower arm?