Milan

[CADA] CADA General Discussion Topic

Btw, I wouldn't consider myself anti-Lego in terms of the product. I still buy an occasional kit if it brings something new.

However it's fair to say I'm anti-monopolies and pro-free market forces.

Maybe I should hover sublime above any critics, enjoy my day and let others say what they want. But hey, I'm stupid enough to accept any challenge when it comes to the matter itself. Comparing sturdiness: with all due respect - the "Flexari" mentioned previously is no match, it sounds like an insult. My "Fiat" is of bigger scale, weighs a lot more and has tons of (functional!) electronics in it. Close the doors and the frunk properly and no issues. I think the Porsche #42056 is a good reference. It has some flex too, but IMO acceptable for the size. My cars are built after real cars which usually consist of highly rigid carbon fibre monocoques, weighing as little as possible, sitting close to the ground as possible, still allowing average people to climb in without headache into a street legal supercar. Try to replicate that and not build a concrete wall around the passengers and between them. I prefer to stay slim and pretty and build a 5x5 studs center console, not higher and not thicker. Instead of building a rugged 7x7 thick wall between the passengers seats, fitting some blue colored minifugure scale structure called seats between them. Not to mention the 90 degree steering wheel, what a disgrace for any car lover.

1 hour ago, amorti said:

No, it's far from the same. That one flexed crazy, the AMG One is well within acceptable levels.

That is not what I am talking about. I am referring to the double standards that people are holding and brushing off criticism to it being a plastic toy.

I know I am kicking the hornets' nest here, but if a Lego set had clicking gears in its main function, you can be sure that this set would be criticized very differently by the aforementioned group.

Allow me to be clear: The set looks amazing and the use of the pullback motor is nothing short of genius. I think CaDA is among the better competitors to Lego and have praised the things they do better than Lego several times in and outside of this thread. All I am pointing out is that criticism shouldn't be brushed off with 2 words.

Edited by LvdH

I'll give you the one about the clicking gears, but I think we're already clear on that.

Regards flex though...

You've seen me deliberately grab and twist it to illustrate a different point, and surprisingly enough as a full-grown man yes I can twist some pieces of plastic when I put my mind to it. From that you've compared it directly to the Lego Ferrari which is much smaller and yet immediately bends when you pick it up. Sorry, but your opinion on that point is wrong and ill-informed. Come back when you have actually built it and held it yourself.

18 minutes ago, amorti said:

Come back when you have actually built it and held it yourself.

Okay.

800x600.jpg

But this one doesn't count, I bet? Because it's built with Lego pieces, despite you and me saying it's not possible?

4 hours ago, LvdH said:

Okay.

But this one doesn't count, I bet? Because it's built with Lego pieces, despite you and me saying it's not possible?

Doors flexing: you didn't have the CaDA special pieces which make the hinges stronger so yes your statement is correct, that point doesn't count.

Chassis flex - depends what you're comparing it to. I never claimed it's as rigid as e.g. the orange tow truck, but it's also nothing like the Lego weird flex Ferrari and now I see that you must know that was a disingenuous comparison.

4 hours ago, Alex Ilea said:

It looks so much better in red!

If the licensor wants it in grey, they get it in grey, regardless of what anyone else wants.

Red is a good choice though!

Edited by Milan
Do not quote images from the same page.

31 minutes ago, amorti said:

Doors flexing: you didn't have the CaDA special pieces which make the hinges stronger so yes your statement is correct, that point doesn't count.

Chassis flex - depends what you're comparing it to. I never claimed it's as rigid as e.g. the orange tow truck, but it's also nothing like the Lego weird flex Ferrari and now I see that you must know that was a disingenuous comparison.

Partly correct on the first point. I don't think the doors flex due to the hinges, but rather because there were some weak pins in there which I have already replaced: Lego changed the mould for the 15100 250x250p.jpg?1658326047.6518195 which became much weaker in recent years. Better in some cases, worse in others (like here). I changed it for the old ones and it's as solid as I would wish it to be now.

Regarding the second point: My comment was never comparing the flex, but comparing the dismissal of criticism and forgiving one company for doing X but not the competitor. None of my comments here are to bash the design or the set, especially I know my experience isn't 100% representative of what the set has to offer. But it's not that far off.

42 minutes ago, Alex Ilea said:

It looks so much better in red!

Not sure I agree, the gray and black looks a lot meaner. But thanks anyway :wink:

Edited by LvdH

8 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Not sure I agree, the gray and black looks a lot meaner. But thanks anyway :wink:

In my opinion, the red shows the shape of the car better than the grey they used (especially the front). It would be cool if someone made a sticker livery like the real car's special stary paintjob.

Example

So where are we up to?

You're busy criticising a CaDA model after building it with Lego parts but not telling that until halfway through the discussion.

No one's denying the gears are a problem for anyone who will press the devil's button combination on the remote (or their kid will, etc). On the plus side it's a simple fix using two 5 cent pieces which most of us have as spares, and if you have a sharp knife and aren't scared to use it then it doesn't even require a big strip-down.

The chassis flex criticism isn't a problem. It just isn't. This is a brick toy, it's not an RC model with a carbon or metal base plate, and in that light it is plenty strong. Or maybe in your 'copy' it is a problem due to worn out Lego pins like...

Your doors flexing criticism, which is now hilarious, because the cause was a combination of a) not using CaDA parts and b) using worn/subpar Lego parts to build it.

I think that'll do for this one.

Edited by amorti

@LvdH : Good job, I didn't expect you would make your threat come true :laugh:! Thouhg I'll never understand why somebody would love to spent hundreds on parts just to prove the "concept", but I respect your specialty. And furthermore I can't understand why you would swap the F40 to grey colour instead of using them for the ONE?.. Or is it just photoshopped?

At least you can say you have the car from the Forza Horizon 5 front cover on your shelf :wink:. I must admit I would prefer many other colors above the grey.

640x335.jpg640x360.jpg

Why not build a wild patchwork version, maybe not similar but inspired by the real example?

640x342.jpg640x360.jpeg

Btw. - wouldn`t it be super cool to drive the bricked version as alternative, same like they did in FH4 with the clumsy Lego Speed Champions?!? :pir-stareyes:

Edited by brunojj1

10 hours ago, jmordoj said:

you come to the CaDA forum, and start fighting with him and people who like this toys, man, why???

If you don’t like it don’t come here, buy Lego, play Lego, be happy, stop fighting people for the toys they like.

Eurobricks is a LEGO forum, and this a topic to discuss Cada.
@Lipko is free to present his views, and also criticism in this topic, just as others are free to share their views, and also criticism on other topics on Eurobricks.
Also, Jmordoj, do not tell members what to do. If you notice something you believe is wrong, use the report button.

To all: this is a Cada topic, with the same rules as the rest of Eurobricks.
All members of the forum can freely share their views, praises, or criticisms regarding Cada in this topic.
That's why we made it.
Keep it respectful, civil, and constructive.

I just finished building the amg one and i'm confused because my doors and spoiler aren't inverse like they should be.  When the doors open the spoiler rises, and vice versa.  I've looked over the instructions and everything seems correct, especially given that neither mechanism is overly complex and the two aren't even linked mechanically.

Any ideas from the smarter people in the room?  Is it possible one my motors was wired incorrectly from the factory?

@brunojj1 @amorti

11 hours ago, CleverPig said:

I am hoping to try CaDa direct as I'd love to have the box too - just to get the full experience...

Just FYI...  I also live in Canada and can highly vouch for ordering direct from CaDA.                                                                                       Their Shipping to Canada is always exemplary and they also notify you -- Once your order has been sent.

______

Edited by Taija71A

6 hours ago, arcticgenes said:

I just finished building the amg one and i'm confused because my doors and spoiler aren't inverse like they should be. 

Is it possible one my motors was wired incorrectly from the factory?

@brunojj1 @amorti

There's only two ways I can see that happening, either one of the motors is wired back to front or you got the bevel gears on the spoiler backwards but both left and right sides.

The motor being backwards seems more likely. It should be possible to figure out which is wrong by exactly following the setup instructions in the manual.

I guess the correct solution is to tell CaDA what happened and have them send a replacement motor, but if it's the motor in the spoiler it's not easy to access.

If you wanted to fix it without a big rebuild, maybe you could use a longer axle for the drive gear of the door mechanism and put that on the other side of the driven gears?

Edited by amorti

I'm working on my review about the AMG One and came across something strange. I've already asked Bruno, but wanted to ask about the experiences of others who have already built the set before jumping on conclusions about the build.

Long story short, the problem is reversing, and I'm having trouble with the concept itself (I built the 2WD version). The two drive motors are coupled via a differential, and the pullback motor is also connected to this assembly. The lever on the remote controls one motor and the second motor is activated with buttons. When I push the drive lever down, one motor tries to drive the vehicle backwards, but the other motor is "freewheeling" through the differential because the pullback motor doesn't block it as it does in forward mode. This means that the vehicle cannot go backwards unless I also push the button to wind up the pullback motor. There may be some resistance in the drive train, but I checked the setup and couldn't find any obvious problems.

I also watched all the video reviews I could find, but I didn't see anyone using the reverse function with only one motor. Actually I only found maybe one video of someone reversing, but that was also with two motors engaged. So I ask the people who have the build: Can your build reverse with only one motor, does it actually move?

10 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

@LvdH : Good job, I didn't expect you would make your threat come true :laugh:! Thouhg I'll never understand why somebody would love to spent hundreds on parts just to prove the "concept", but I respect your specialty. And furthermore I can't understand why you would swap the F40 to grey colour instead of using them for the ONE?.. Or is it just photoshopped?

Thanks, but I didn’t spend hundreds on making this :wink: 

In total it was actually closer to €90 including shipping costs from 3 shops (though some may argue I spent the other hundreds for the parts in my collection, which is fair). I chose red because red and black were the only options that didn’t require painting or searching for 3rd party pieces (neither of which I actually have no problem with, both exist in the F40 you mentioned). Also I had every single red piece minus one soft axle in my spare part collection gathering dust, waiting to be used. Most of the pieces I ordered were for the chassis and a few black panels for the bodywork. 
And no, the F40 isn’t photoshopped, the reason it’s DBG (not LBG) is because I was trying to recreate a very specific one of a kind real life car. 

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

I'm working on my review about the AMG One and came across something strange

You've summed it up correctly. The differential and pullback behave just as you said.

You can tell what it's doing because running just the pullback motor applies enough torque to the drive motor, that it becomes a generator and lights up the LEDs!

For those who speak German, the biggest Lego YouTuber in Germany just dropped a review.

I haven't watched it yet, let's see what he thinks.

Edited by amorti

17 minutes ago, amorti said:

You've summed it up correctly. The differential and pullback behave just as you said.

You can tell what it's doing because running just the pullback motor applies enough torque to the drive motor, that it becomes a generator and lights up the LEDs!

Thank you for the confirmation, but the question still remains - can you drive the car backwards with only one motor? Because according to the instructions you supposed to be able to do that. 

5 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Thank you for the confirmation, but the question still remains - can you drive the car backwards with only one motor? Because according to the instructions you supposed to be able to do that. 

If you drive the rear motor backwards it will drive in reverse without driving the pullback motor.
The pullback motor won’t move as it’s hard coupled to the front motor. The diff will just spin (think of it as if you are only turning one wheel in a normal diff and engine setup) and transfer power to the wheels.

19 minutes ago, kbalage said:

I'd say not really.

Forwards works with just the drive motor, because the pullback plus the other motor provide enough resistance on the diff. Reverse doesn't have that, so the power just goes through the diff without moving the car (path of least resistance).

I just reverse it on both motors, although I mostly drove outside so far so there's more space and less need to go backwards.

9 minutes ago, LvdH said:

If you drive the rear motor backwards it will drive in reverse without driving the pullback motor.
The pullback motor won’t move as it’s hard coupled to the front motor. The diff will just spin (think of it as if you are only turning one wheel in a normal diff and engine setup) and transfer power to the wheels.

I think in reverse there's only the other motor providing resistance.

Might work with Lego motors, but CaDA motors are stronger/faster/have less resistance in the planetary reduction (idk, delete as appropriate) and will overpower the resistance of the other motor.

Edited by amorti

7 minutes ago, LvdH said:

I see well what's happening :) If I drive only the rear motor backwards, that drives the front motor through the differential as the pullback motor has no resistance there. If you lift the car up then the wheels will still spin backwards with the single rear motor (due to less resistance on those outputs of the differential), but with the weight of the car the rear motor's power will go only to the front motor. If you drive with the rear motor forward, then the pullback motor winds up and locks, so the car will eventually move. 

4 minutes ago, amorti said:

I'd say not really.

Thanks for the confirmation. 

18 hours ago, amorti said:

or those who speak German, the biggest Lego YouTuber in Germany just dropped a review.

If you don't know German:

He hasn't finished building it, but does mention it's a more challenging build than Lego with difficulty further increased by being all in black.

He specifically says it's built stable.

He likes it so far, especially the license and the effort made to exploit it fully e.g. the corresponding special AMG parts and is impressed with the favourable direct photo comparison of the real One to the model.

He wishes there were a static version.

He also mentions how CaDA parts were always good and now further improved in the last two years; no micro scratches, it's like building with Lego.

He must have watched my videos already!

Edited by Milan
Do not quote images and videos from the same page.

I just watched the video and I have to say, hats off to you @brunojj1 for this model.

Most important for me, you managed to make the suspension in such a high detail and close to the original, even with a proper working heave spring design (something I critizised on the LEGO Peugeot - some people would reply "it isn't possible").

I did not build it myself, but from the pictures I have seen it seems like most of the structure comes still from the floor section ("Skateboard chassis"), maybe it'll be possible to make the roof part of the supporting structure in future models, but this is just nitpicking at this point.