Situated in the tranquil valley of Glendalough, County Wicklow, the evocative remains of the once-vibrant medieval monastic settlement is one of Ireland's most beautiful and well-known historical treasures.
This commissioned, 44,388-piece diorama depicts the national heritage site as it may have looked in its heyday during the 12th century. The layout, structural details and scenes of everyday life have all been researched and recreated as accurately as possible, with invaluable advice from Glendalough Heritage Forum and University College Dublin Archaeology Department.
The model took 3 months to design & build; completed in Sept. 2021.
 Credit to Faolán Farrell for all the minifigure scenes and scenarios.

51834491864_cbf69e1213_z.jpgGlendalough Monastic Settlement by Jessica Farrell, on Flickr

51834863830_8ed1240b49_z.jpgGlendalough Monastic Settlement, west view by Jessica Farrell, on Flickr

51833178862_85aaedf5ff_z.jpgGlendalough Monastic Settlement, east view by Jessica Farrell, on Flickr

51834112351_2f4b75381c_z.jpgGlendalough Monastic Settlement, entrance gateway by Jessica Farrell, on Flickr

51834218333_cdbc0486b4_z.jpgGlendalough Monastic Settlement, herb garden inset by Jessica Farrell, on Flickr

51834825125_28b24c93df_z.jpgGlendalough Monastic Settlement, farming life by Jessica Farrell, on Flickr

51834803940_56eb94d5d3_z.jpgGlendalough Monastic Settlement, daily chores by Jessica Farrell, on Flickr

Damn that's a lot of wolverine claws.  Build looks great.  The texturing of the buildings looks wonderful with the use of plates, bricks and rounds.  The landscaping is top notch with all the different plants, flowers, and trees.  The stone walls also are a nice touch as they were used to separate property lines.  So many details to look at just a really fantastic job here.  

This is so epic! So many great details. The stone walls, vegetation, topography, and colors work really well

Great build. Love all the details of you included of Irish country life. Your research work shows with the attention to the various activities, landscape, and architecture. Brick on!

Wow. A well-done diarama. If I counted correctly, 5x8 standard baseplates?

Commissioned you say? Any idea if this built will be on display on a museum or visitor center in the area?

Wow. Very beautiful and recognizable layout.

The moment I saw the picture of your model, I could immediately see that it was Glendalough. I visited Glendalough in 2015. The tall round tower is very recognizable.

7 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Wow. A well-done diarama. If I counted correctly, 5x8 standard baseplates?

Commissioned you say? Any idea if this built will be on display on a museum or visitor center in the area?

Thank you, yes, 5x8 baseplates.

It will tour the county during the summer, go on display in the National Museum of Ireland in the autumn and  most likely end up in the Glendalough visitors' centre at some point after that.

Absolutely superb! As others have said, it impressive for both its scale AND it's detail. Each small image is packed full of beautiful textures and designs and colors!

Wow, I think this looks awesome! I like the wall building style you used throughout the whole build. And using countless claws to make the straw roofs is also something I have never seen before. Well done!

Wow, JanetVanD, this really is a very beautiful piece of Ireland that you've made here!  One can feel the medieval atmosphere here en you can almost hear the monks sing their Gregorian chant. It is a good inspiration for my medieval monastry, that has to come yet 🤪.

Edited by Vliebricker