Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

4 hours ago, bricksandabear said:

I don't understand the hate honestly. It looks a lot more like Benedict Wong than this one that everyone is asking for does, and the 'fu manchu' has been pretty widely acknowledged as offensive for a long time now... I've always been kind of surprised this one even showed up in 2018.

I don't know what people imagine for asian characters beyond skin tone- I think lego is doing a good job here without crossing the line (with Wong specifically, the Shang Chi line was a complete miss).

Screenshot 2022-06-02 115800.png

I don't understand why every criticism must be labelled as "hate" these days. Sometimes I feel like I just have to love or hate something, no other options.

While that older head works better for Infinity War/Endgame Wong, it still looks more like Wong than that new one to me. New head looks more like Luis from Ant-Man than Wong.

I would not call that "fu manchu" (which seems to be more longer) and Wong undoubtedly had this style of beard for some time.

Wong.jpg

Exactly this.

The old head is so much better imo. It perfectly captures Wong's... Wongness. The problem was that they forgot the hair, and they forgot it again with the new set.

The new one makes him look like a thin, handsome twenty year old boy.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

8 hours ago, bricksandabear said:

I don't understand the hate honestly. It looks a lot more like Benedict Wong than this one that everyone is asking for does, and the 'fu manchu' has been pretty widely acknowledged as offensive for a long time now... I've always been kind of surprised this one even showed up in 2018.

I missed this the first time, but...that's what his mustache looks like. It's almost laughable that it's considered offensive to give a minifigure facial hair that looks like the character's facial hair.

3 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Exactly this.

The old head is so much better imo. It perfectly captures Wong's... Wongness. The problem was that they forgot the hair, and they forgot it again with the new set.

The new one makes him look like a thin, handsome twenty year old boy.

Doesn't he have the hair in the MoM set? Or are you talking about the sanctum, because unless I missed something I don't think we know yet. The Strange minifigure leaked without hair first too.

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Doesn't he have the hair in the MoM set? Or are you talking about the sanctum, because unless I missed something I don't think we know yet. The Strange minifigure leaked without hair first too.

The person who leaked this minifigure confirmed that Wong will be hairless again.

With how much the prices are increasing on these sets, it should really have leg print and arm print on every figure. Make the most of these 'expensive raw materials' that Lego is claiming as justification for the price rise.

21 hours ago, Mr. Cube said:

I don't understand why every criticism must be labelled as "hate" these days. Sometimes I feel like I just have to love or hate something, no other options.

While that older head works better for Infinity War/Endgame Wong, it still looks more like Wong than that new one to me. New head looks more like Luis from Ant-Man than Wong.

I would not call that "fu manchu" (which seems to be more longer) and Wong undoubtedly had this style of beard for some time.

Wong.jpg

"He and Carol Danvers should smile more"

But yeah he looks exactly like that. Luis would be a better fit. Hope he has leg printing too.

Not sure if that’s Zombie Dr. Strange :pirate-sad or if they’re just testing the waters to see if anyone’s interested in another Monster Fighters wave :facepalm: :wacko:

Spidey looks like the best version of that suit (even if the changes are minor). Love that they did some webbing on the toes :wub:

Spider-Man looks absolutely fantastic, they managed to make a perfect minifigure look even better. Bigger eyes, toe printing, slightly different torso. So good :wub_drool:

Ebony Maw looks good, although he really needs leg printing and some kind of hair.

Zombie Strange... the torso and legs are great, but the rest ain't it. Wrong hair, and the face looks nothing like actual Zombie Strange.

As for Wong, I still dislike it.

These figs look great! I assume like most expensive sets like the bugle we will get some figs with leg printing and some without. 

just like like the fact that figs that had leg printing in past sets dont now. A down grade and with the hiked prices gives more buyers pause to get this 250 dollar set.

lets hope the leaked images just had blank legs to make up a full fig for the pic.

I really don't like being negative, but like this is the exact same Spider-man minifigure we've gotten for the past years? Like sure he has foot printing now but that's about it? 

I know it has a different head but that's the same they used on the NWH sets, right?

I like the Zombie Strange minifigure, though I'll say I'd rather for it to be a tad more colorful.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Zombie Strange... the torso and legs are great, but the rest ain't it. Wrong hair, and the face looks nothing like actual Zombie Strange.

I mean, that's pretty much the hair he has in the movie, but if anything he's missing the white streaks yeah

13 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

I really don't like being negative, but like this is the exact same Spider-man minifigure we've gotten for the past years? Like sure he has foot printing now but that's about it? 

I know it has a different head but that's the same they used on the NWH sets, right?

I like the Zombie Strange minifigure, though I'll say I'd rather for it to be a tad more colorful.

Effectively yeah, but the design is ever so slightly different. The printing on the blue has changed for instance. Plus the head and the feet as you've said. 

I love it personally. A few simple changes but effective, I think. Next step, full boot printing! :tongue:

The rest of the figures though? Eh. Ebony Maw is cool I guess.

Looking at the zombie Strange I think I might have actually preferred his regular, Defender Strange look. 

2 minutes ago, SEmrys said:

I love it personally. A few simple changes but effective, I think. Next step, full boot printing! :tongue:

While I do agree it looks very good, I think the original minifigure is way too recent for me to get excited at a remake (or update) of it.

Like, I get it, it's not like they had any other choice, this is the Spider-Man on Infinity War, so it was either this or bringing back the previous one by the same cost, so they might as well update it.

4 minutes ago, SEmrys said:

Looking at the zombie Strange I think I might have actually preferred his regular, Defender Strange look.

I was expecting it to be regular Defender Strange with alternate Head/Hands so it can be repurpoused as Zombie Strange.

Call me greedy, but I'd taken both :grin:

Oh well, IF they do actually give him the ghouls cloak (brick built, I reckon) I'm sure that will escalate the minifigure to another level.

10 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

While I do agree it looks very good, I think the original minifigure is way too recent for me to get excited at a remake (or update) of it.

Yeah that's fair enough! I've just been wanting a Spider-Man with something on his boots forever, so I'm easily swayed I guess. 

10 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

I was expecting it to be regular Defender Strange with alternate Head/Hands so it can be repurpoused as Zombie Strange.

Call me greedy, but I'd taken both :grin:

That combo Defender Strange would have been awesome. Now I'm even more disappointed haha.

I guess the only real surprise now is what Wanda looks like? 

Presumably Strange will be the one from the Gargantos set, and Iron Man will be the one from the previous Sanctum but with the new helmet? 

Tbh, bar the four main heroes, these extra figs are probably just going in my parts bin or getting sold to make some money for Bricktober Wong.

edit: forgot about Mordo. 

Edited by SEmrys

32 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

I mean, that's pretty much the hair he has in the movie, but if anything he's missing the white streaks yeah

Perhaps, but it looks so different in actual pictures. It looks much more like regular Strange's hair. 

And yeah, the white streaks.

These figures suck - for how much people are paying they should be accurate and a lot more detailed. A lot of these feel like the absolute minimum effort required to make it look somewhat like the character.

5 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Same with the white streaks.

Still cool we're getting another zombie figure alongside Zombie Cap, even if the former isn't from that universe.

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The new Maw looks so plain and boring to me. The 2018 one was so much better in my opinion :tongue: Zombie Strange looks cool though

2018 Maw had a better design and it also had leg printing - his design simply does not work without it because he's wearing a long cloak style outfit. It's incredibly disappointing that they included him as he's wasted a new torso and head print that could have been spent elsewhere such as on a Defender Strange or Bruce Banner who is missing from the line-up.

That spider-man is a nice update, but not nearly enough to get me excited for this sanctum. These other figures are just so lackluster. Smiling, young, bald wong with no leg printing? An Ebony Maw that looks like a human in gray face paint? Zombie Strange from the 2012 monster fighters wave? The build better be pretty dang good, because these figures are turning out to be seriously disappointing. Ebony Maw is a direct downgrade of the figure from the LAST sanctum. Heck, Iron Spider got replaced by the much more common Stark Suit, even if it is a nice upgrade to that suit.

My thoughts on the Sanctum minifigs so far:

Zombie Strange: the suit looks fine but the skin color throws it of, his skin should have looked more like this

gb009.png

, I hope he comes with his cape of the Damned.

Wong: looks ok, but I hope he has leg printing and hair like the last 2 Wongs.

Sinister Strange: this one looks fine to me.

MoM Strange: probably the same as the one in the Gargantos set, which looked fine.

Spiderman: looks good.

Ebony Maw: ok, needs leg printing and hair.

P.S. I kind of wished they replaced Iron man and Ebony Maw with villains from NWH (Green Goblin, Sandman, Lizard, Electro, Doc Ock) or the 2 other Spider Men. 

Edited by Dr.Cogg

Has anyone ever tried the newer Falcon hair piece on Wong, or seen pictures of it? The photos of the actor someone put up here showed that even the hairpiece that is used for him is too long really

Not really feeling most of these figs too much.

Zombie Strange - The one I was most excited for, but a big let down. Hair is too neat/no grey streaks, clothing should be black instead of dark blue, and the face isn’t very good.

Wong - Face doesn’t look like him and no hair or leg printing. Torso is good though and holding out hope for the small change he gets leg printing.

Sinister Strange - This is the quality I was hoping for, they really nailed this one.

Spider-Man - It’s a good Spider-Man, but I’m not just not interested the non-Strange related characters they decided to include.

Maw - Ew.

MoM Strange will obviously be a repeat and like Spider-Man I don’t care about Iron Man, so holding out hope that Wanda and Mordo are of the same quality as Sinister Strange.

Edited by Subnautica

Silver lining, if the build isnt amazing, I can save $250 and build a Sanctum MOC myself since so far there isnt a figure I'd even bricklink, other than Supreme Strange, and thats a maybe...