Tavis75

eBay buyer claiming incorrect piece (not possible) advice

I sold a Lego set on eBay recently and the buyer has now got in touch claiming that the wrong piece was included (I have been partially expecting this since day one, as after shipping it turned out they weren't UK based but actually having it shipped to Hong Kong via a third-party, and they were overly communicative).

The piece in question is a 4x4 round brick that fits onto a turntable and they've sent a photo showing an older version of the part, which has a different underside and therefore wont fit onto the turntable (obviously they've done their research). 

Now, I know that the correct part was included, I assembled the set once and later disassembled it and immediately bagged it up for shipping as I was doing so, so there is no way the wrong part could have slipped in.

So now trying to work out the best way to proceed, I have some spare of the correct part so if I thought they were genuine I'd quite happily stick one in the post (only actually costs a few pounds to ship to Hong Kong), but as they're obviously trying it on they could just claim to never have received the part (then I'm down one Lego piece and the postage on top of whatever else), them returning the set is obviously problematic due to their location (and who knows what I'd get back). Could potentially offer a partial refund, though whether they'd accept that I don't know, and if they did they would presumably ask for a large amount.

So, any thoughts? Anyone dealt with this sort of situation before? Generally I get the impression that eBay will side with the buyer in most cases, so not holding out much hope, just trying to work out the best way to try and minimize the loss. Not sure what eBay policy would be in a case like this, I guess probably just a full refund, though don't know if it helps my case at all that the buyer has complicated things by shipping the set out of the country.

These people have received at least 99% of the set. So, they have gotten most of their money's worth. Offer them a 1% refund and be done with it. This sale is not worth the trouble and cost to send them a single part. They are in Hong Kong, so that part could be easily gotten there.

I'm wondering why they are buying from a UK source when they can get Chinese Lego brand right there in Hong Kong.

If the buyer is a long-time user, and has been polite, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. If you feel uneasy sending the piece, you can offer a partial refund for the value of the piece based on the Bricklink average. If the buyer agrees and you subsequently provide the refund, I doubt they'd be able to get a full refund through eBay.

Regarding a full return, I have heard horror stories, but I do know some sellers take a video of the unpacking of what they got back to cover themselves. Not sure if that helps.

Sounds like they're going out of their way to give you a bad rep. This piece can be had for a few cents on Bricklink even from some HK-based outlets, so I'd simply offer them a buck for their trouble and advise them to order it from there.

Mylenium

From my understanding of eBay policy, if you were to send the replacement part and prove that you did so (postal receipt and maybe a photo of the part being bagged), you'd be in the clear.  I would push for that or a partial refund, since it's literally just one part.

Thanks for the advice.

One thing I've found out, is that if the buyer has the item forwarded by a third-party (as happened here), they are no longer eligible for eBay's Money Back Guarantee, so seems like the worst I could end up with is some negative feedback (as long as eBay stick to their policy). So that puts me in a stronger bargaining position when it comes to getting things resolved.

12 minutes ago, Tavis75 said:

One thing I've found out, is that if the buyer has the item forwarded by a third-party (as happened here), they are no longer eligible for eBay's Money Back Guarantee, so seems like the worst I could end up with is some negative feedback (as long as eBay stick to their policy). So that puts me in a stronger bargaining position when it comes to getting things resolved.

Yeah I was going to say that likely voids aspects of the transaction. The seller is always allowed to list where they will and won't ship to and the buyer circumvented that part of your listing. It wasn't your shipping it was theirs so its their problem to deal with. You shouldn't get any negative feedback and ebay should remove their account for violating the transaction and going outside the platform.

Looks like you are dealing with a scammer that is trying to get the full refund.
Never accept any reversable payment, no gaypal, creditcard, ebay, alipay, marktplaats gelijk oversteken, NEVER.
There will alway be people that try to scam you with it.

Let them wire the money, it's cheaper than the mentioned earnings models and just a fast nowadays.

1 hour ago, Tavis75 said:

Thanks for the advice.

I'd just say, be careful about using your bargaining position. eBay, PayPal, credit cards, and banks tend to give buyers more leniency to protect buyers, with the unfortunate repercussion that some buyers do abuse these channels. Any of these can reverse the charge, not just eBay. Even if eBay's Money Back Guarantee does not apply, you could still get hit with an item not as described claim on PayPal. If I were you, I'd just try to resolve things as amicably as possible, and offer the partial refund or the full return. In the case of a return, the buyer might want to make you pay for shipping, and might make an item not as described claim that could force you to do it, which might make this option less appealing to you.

I have had multiple issues purchasing used sets via ebay, bricklink etc.  Get incorrect pieces, broken pieces, etc.  If the seller listed that set at so so at 99% complete then ok.  When its listed as 100% complete and like new (with the price to go along with it) then that's when I get upset.  They will usually offer a $1 or so for the parts in error, but by the time you add shipping and your time no way this $1 covers everything.  

That said, as a buyer I assume something will be wrong with my purchase.  Hopefully it will be something small I can get from my own inventory.  If its a major item then will reach back out to the seller for compensation.  

Suggest you offer the guy a few dollars to go away.  Selling used Lego always looked like a huge pain in the butt.

Spend the handful of change to send the correct part. Get receipts from the post office. Document everything in case he tries to pull ebay bs. And wash your hands of it. That third party reship to Hong Kong should raise enough red flags with ebay that they won't give you any grief. There's clearly no way for you to get your merchandise back.