DelQuinn

[MOC] [Classic Space] X-942 Launch Hangar

Hi everybody! I want to share my MOC that I have on the LEGO Ideas website.  I grew up playing with Classic Space sets and I wanted to create something to reflect that passion.  I originally designed the ship by itself, and then added the hangar deck around it.  The minifigures included are based on ones I made as a kid and still have, and ones I more recently pieced together.

51617517705_f64828b1b9_c.jpg

51616876498_195490aa93_c.jpg

51647676299_ae27ca4db5_c.jpg

51617517690_e3cd135dde_c.jpg

You can find more pictures and details on my Ideas project page: https://ideas.lego.com/s/p:4c27f35704a74a76af7fb8304d14309f

Looking down at the activity on the hangar deck, Base Commander Billy, a veteran from the earliest days of the Space Corp, watches as they put the finishing touches on what he hopes will be the fastest spaceship in the galaxy. He has assembled the brightest minds and engineers to create the X-942.
As the prototype preps for its first flight, its pilot Kara is eager to test out its capabilities. If everything works out, she’ll be entering the X-942 into the upcoming Jupiter 5000 spaceship race.
Up in the control room, Lieutenants Zack and Terra watch over everything.
Edwards tunes up new engine designs in the workshop.
The Space Police stand on guard, watching out for any spies or agents attempting to steal the X-942 designs or components.

Along with the hangar deck, the first level has a locker room for astronaut gear and a workshop with a prototype engine and tools.
The second level has a control room, the Base Commander’s office, and a catwalk overlooking the hangar deck.

The X-942 is a neo-classic design with variable position wings. During flight, the wings are down at a 45-degree angle. When the ship lands, the wings move up, parallel with the ground.

Well done! I love the modern take on the hangar, yet you still did a great job keeping the original classic space look. The hangar looks very sleek. Is it modular by any chance? Based on the photos, it looks like you plan to expand it in the future. If so, I look forward to seeing what else you do to enlarge it. Hope you make it in brick someday. Looks great!

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Well done! I love the modern take on the hangar, yet you still did a great job keeping the original classic space look. The hangar looks very sleek. Is it modular by any chance? Based on the photos, it looks like you plan to expand it in the future. If so, I look forward to seeing what else you do to enlarge it. Hope you make it in brick someday. Looks great!

Thanks. It's not modular at the moment, but easy to adapt to be by adding a couple connection points.  I have had thoughts about what other modular sections to it might be, I might continue it someday if I have the time :)

I am glad that you are sharing your project here, and even more glad that it is advertised on the front page. I thought of your model when I wrote my previous "call to action" post in this sub-forum, the other Ideas I was referring to are a space base and a Macross' Valkyrie. Let's hope that the members of this community or the lurkers active on social media could help you even more. I believe that promoting each other's Ideas should become a standard among sci-fi designers.  

17 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Oh if I had had such a set in 1978! :excited:

Beautiful hangar, I especially like the technical room with the tools in the lower right corner! :wub:

Thanks! when I was a kid I would always make moon bases for my classic space sets, they were very basic back then (and mostly red since that was the largest number of 2x4 bricks back then) and I wanted this to reflect what I imagined back then. The technical room was one of the first ideas I had when starting this MOC. I build my mechanic minifigure when I was a kid and wanted to incorporate him into the design. 

51616876588_186bfaef05_c.jpg

17 hours ago, Guyinaplaguemask said:

Wow, I think I saw this on bricklink. Well done model, I love the X-942's shape and sleekness. Those hangar walls are super cool too, great job.

Thanks! I originally made the X-942 on its own for the LEGO Ideas Space GWP contest. I then built the hangar around the ship.  It took me a long time to design the walls where I liked the look of them

6 hours ago, astral brick said:

I am glad that you are sharing your project here, and even more glad that it is advertised on the front page. I thought of your model when I wrote my previous "call to action" post in this sub-forum, the other Ideas I was referring to are a space base and a Macross' Valkyrie. Let's hope that the members of this community or the lurkers active on social media could help you even more. I believe that promoting each other's Ideas should become a standard among sci-fi designers.  

Thanks :) I saw your previous post and haven't had the chance to respond to it yet.  I agree with you 100% 

Your base and experimental starship are great. Love the details included and the story gives nice context.

1 hour ago, Feuer Zug said:

Your base and experimental starship are great. Love the details included and the story gives nice context.

Thanks! It was fun creating the story, harder to give names to the minifigures.

Very nice and smooth spaceship in classic color scheme! I was a big fan of this theme as a child, but I had sets only from the later versions like white, black and yellow etc.. I like the hangar too.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:56 AM, _TLG_ said:

Very nice and smooth spaceship in classic color scheme! I was a big fan of this theme as a child, but I had sets only from the later versions like white, black and yellow etc.. I like the hangar too.

Thanks! I grew up more with the more white designs too.  When I started designing this ship, I wanted to go back to the classic colours that made LEGO Space so iconic :)

On 11/5/2021 at 3:09 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

You managed to take me back in time. Great new and still classic spaceship! (+ hangar, etc)

It was a blast going back to what got me into LEGO as a kid as I was designing the ship, and then the hangar

Beautiful display. Seems like the polished version of an 80’s kids vision for his Lego space base. It’s very fun to look at.