Sign in to follow this  
Immo

[MOC] "Hielan Coo" Topsail Sloop

Hielan%20Coo.png

"Hielan Coo", a topsail sloop.

Helmed by Graham McTogail, an ex-corsair hailing from Scottish Highlands, currently undercrewed, as it only has two crewmen... or rather, crewpeople: Brianne Crow - who pretended to be a man to be able to sail (until she realized Graham never believed in sailor superstitions about women) - and Cian "Scian" Brackeen, known for his affinity for two things: knives and the sea.

Starboard.png

Features:
anchor with working capstan
fake tackle-operated hoist
functional cargo hold.with removable hatch
opening doors to captain's cabin
adjustable stays tension

Deck%20&%20Hoist.png

Details include furnished captain's cabin, two bunks below the main deck, rudimentary rigging, rudder, Highland cow's skull figurehead, musket mounts on railings, lamps, alarm bell, crow's nest, permanently roped bucket for gathering seawater, side ladders.

Bow.png

The model contains roughly 900 parts and is based on bow & stern segments from 6268 Renegade Runner. When I got those two parts, I considered completing the bits needed to rebuild the original set, but I figured this is a perfect opportunity to design my semi-accurate depiction of an actual historical ship type*.

*not that 6268 Renegade Runner isn't apt - it's one of the most realistic ships from original Pirates

A rather nice sloop. I do like the rigging on this one and especially that figurehead. Good job! :pir-thumb:

Very nice and well built sloop. I like the many interesting details.

1 hour ago, Supersick_ said:

I love it! Such a well done design especially the stern. More pics!

Thanks! Lighting conditions in my place are atrocious, but I will try.

4 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

A rather nice sloop. I do like the rigging on this one and especially that figurehead. Good job! :pir-thumb:

Thanks a lot :pir-sweet:
Here's the darkened pic of prototype rigging, pretty much the same layout as in the final version (the final one has improved bowsprit and tension system implemented):
Prototype.png

Edited by Immo

On 5/25/2021 at 10:41 PM, Supersick_ said:

(...) More pics!

Here's the pic of captain's cabin, including cutlass mount, lantern post, map, desk with inkwell and quill, mounted lamp, bunk and seat (sorry for the fluffy stuff, it's impossible to photograph Lego stuff at my house without all those particulates getting in the way)::

Cabin.jpg

That's a beautiful ship there. Were your historical aims primarily the sailplan, or was the rest of the ship based on a particular design? I really like the look of the rear covered cabin and roof but I haven't seen any historical designs like that. Also, how does the tensioning system work? The rigging looks great.

SD

Lovely sloop.

It could be easily seen in the Brethren of the Brick Seas game !

For your photography set up : you should try to take your pics in front of a white cloth or sheet of paper instead of this opened parcel. The contrast would be better (I know sails would pop out lesser then the ship but the ship here seems very dark for now like you've photographed it)

On 6/30/2021 at 5:59 PM, Mister Phes said:

(...)We could blog this if the presentation were a bit better. :pir-thumb:

On 7/2/2021 at 9:56 AM, Faladrin said:

(...) For your photography set up : you should try to take your pics in front of a white cloth or sheet of paper instead of this opened parcel. The contrast would be better (I know sails would pop out lesser then the ship but the ship here seems very dark for now like you've photographed it)

Sorry for missing those comments, was a bit busy last couple of months.

Anyway, I have a microscopic apartment and at that time the only backdrop that is usually suitable for pics of bigger stuff - a 3-door wardrobe - was falling apart due to age and poor design. Now I got the bits from that wardrobe - i kept those after tearing it apart completely and replacing with a new one - and could use these as a great backdrop (white with slight grain that may look like clouds),but lighting is atrocious at this time of year. I will try to snap better photos should a nice, sunny day come. The ship has an upgraded crew now, so it deserves new pics anyway.