Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

3 minutes ago, Jdrewg said:

Why am I picturing Veruca Salt?

You think we're acting like Veruca Salt? :tongue: Go over to the HP or SW threads and tell them more than half of the yearly output has been inexplicably cancelled, and see their reactions.

I think we are allowed to be disappointed when we were promised 8 sets 8 months ago, and after all this waiting this is all we're getting

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

You think we're acting like Veruca Salt? :tongue: Go over to the HP or SW threads and tell them more than half of the yearly output has been inexplicably cancelled, and see their reactions.

I think we are allowed to be disappointed when we were promised 8 sets 8 months ago, and after all this waiting this is all we're getting

Those two properties are evergreen, this is a brief revival. The promise didn’t come from Lego either. This is part of the problem with basing expectations entirely around leaked information rather than from the source at the time of release. Yes the anticipation is exciting, but look what happens when things change.

5 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

Those two properties are evergreen, this is a brief revival.

Can you even call a single minimum-effort three-set wave a revival? :tongue:

6 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

Yes the anticipation is exciting, but look what happens when things change.

But that’s the entire point of this forum. If we can’t even trust leaked pictures anymore, everything we discuss here becomes completely pointless :laugh_hard: What’s the point of getting excited for, say, that NWH set over in the Marvel threat or the new Batcave if they could easily cancel them without any further notice?

I just want to know who is at fault for what’s been happening and why. Was it Lego not managing the theme properly? Was it Lucasfilm being difficult? I could’ve stomached the ToD being cancelled if we still had the Dial of Destiny sets coming, but it’s the latter that’s really left a sour taste in my mouth. Just watching the trailer and Super Bowl spot, there are already plenty of cool looking scenes that would’ve made for some good set material.

I do hope Lego releases an official statement if only to clarify that these three sets are all that’s coming. Frankly speaking, I’d say that the Hovitos Temple alone makes the entire wave for me given how fantastic that set is! 

But also, it’ll be interesting to see how Hasbro, Funko, and the usual licensees manage their rollout of Dial of Destiny merchandise. To be fair, there still hasn’t been an official reveal / release date for merch based on that film specifically, and it’s releasing at the end of June! So whatever is happening, Lucasfilm is cutting it close either way. 

Edited by Kaijumeister

18 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Can you even call a single minimum-effort three-set wave a revival? :tongue:

Yes, because no matter how much it upsets you there is no denying the fact that there were Indiana Jones sets once before and there will be again soon. Quantity and longevity don't affect their existence. And given how excited a lot of people are for 77015, I wouldn't call that a minimum-effort set.

24 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

But that’s the entire point of this forum. If we can’t even trust leaked pictures anymore, everything we discuss here becomes completely pointless :laugh_hard: What’s the point of getting excited for, say, that NWH set over in the Marvel threat or the new Batcave if they could easily cancel them without any further notice?

Of course you can get excited about it, I didn't say that. What I said was that it's clearly not worth going all in on the emotional investment until the things are out there in the world. As other people have said before me, without the leaked information we mere mortals wouldn't know that these sets existed until Lego told us. Am I excited about the Batcave? You can bet your megablocks I am. Am I going to refuse to watch any future DC production should the set not come to fruition? No, because if I didn't subscribe to this site or Instagram, I wouldn't know about it and would assume that the DC theme had died a long time ago. 

Just now, RedHoodPug said:

And given how excited a lot of people are for 77015, I wouldn't call that a minimum-effort set.

Not design-wise, but definitely budget-wise. This reeks of cut corners: Only one new part, repurposing of ancient unfitting parts, and then those stickered quotes. If SW and JP could get printed ones, why not Indy too? :tongue: The other two sets are stickerfests too.

The only aspects that got a decent budget it seems were the minifig prints and those printed 2x3 and 2x2 tiles in 77015.

6 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

Of course you can get excited about it, I didn't say that. What I said was that it's clearly not worth going all in on the emotional investment until the things are out there in the world. 

Yeah, that goes on me. But that’s also why I need to know why all of those sets were cancelled: so we know what to look out for, so we don’t get excited again for sets that may end up being shoved headfirst into a woodchipper

37 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

You think we're acting like Veruca Salt? :tongue: Go over to the HP or SW threads and tell them more than half of the yearly output has been inexplicably cancelled, and see their reactions.

Is it not mostly the same people?

I do think Lego had no obligation or duty to say anything about the specific temple of doom set, it was after all entirely confidential information had had leaked, they went above and beyond my expectations in terms of addressing in, and we are not entitled to any information on it whatso ever. It wasn't TLG who 'promised' you 8 sets after all. And is it not a little too soon to give up on the prospect of something else, anything else coming?

5 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Not design-wise, but definitely budget-wise. This reeks of cut corners: Only one new part, repurposing of ancient unfitting parts, and then those stickered quotes. If SW and JP could get printed ones, why not Indy too? :tongue: The other two sets are stickerfests too.

Not gonna lie, I think my biggest disappointment with the 3 sets we do have is the lack of a proper hat for Indy’s dad. I can’t imagine Lego would’ve struggled to find more uses for it in other themes. Outside of that, I think the sets are fairly solid for the most part.

Edited by Kaijumeister

11 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

And is it not a little too soon to give up on the prospect of something else, anything else coming?

No, I give up. They’ve stopped doing follow-up sets for non-evergreen themes a looooooooong time ago, so there’s absolutely no chance for more sets in 2024. As far as I’m concerned, this “revival” is getting its first and final sets in two weeks :laugh_hard: 

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

5 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

No, I give up. They’ve stopped doing follow-up sets for non-evergreen themes a looooooooong time ago, so there’s absolutely no chance for more sets in 2024. As far as I’m concerned, this “revival” is getting its first and final sets in two weeks :laugh_hard: 

Well in that case, if they do come at least you'll be pleasantly surprised? :tongue:

2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

My thinking is that 77015 is equivalent to JP's T. Rex Breakout as an 18+ diorama, and any other sets are equivalent to this year's JP anniversary sets.  My love/nostalgia for Indy and the original JP is probably equivalent, and I'm much happier with the three sets in Indy's theme than the playsets JP is getting this year.

I'm buying all three.  Maybe we'll get more, maybe we won't.  The only impact a bigger revival will have on me is holding off on buying the original series second-hand.

15 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Well in that case, if they do come at least you'll be pleasantly surprised? :tongue:

More like shocked to my core, because sets don’t just materialise out of thin air :laugh_hard:

42 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Is it not mostly the same people?

I do think Lego had no obligation or duty to say anything about the specific temple of doom set, it was after all entirely confidential information had had leaked, they went above and beyond my expectations in terms of addressing in, and we are not entitled to any information on it whatso ever. It wasn't TLG who 'promised' you 8 sets after all. And is it not a little too soon to give up on the prospect of something else, anything else coming?

This is literally common sense stuff though. Like if Pirates of the Caribbean 6 gets made and we get a lego wave literally everyone would be expecting sets based on that new 6th movie. So getting sets based on just say COTBP and Worlds End would be weird. But that’s basically what Lego has now done with Indy. The logic just makes no sense no matter how many hoops you jump through. New Movie in a long running Franchise getting more lego sets (ESPECIALLY after we got like 3-4 waves the first time) it’s common sense to except at least one wave based on the old movies and one wave based on the new movies! Heck that’s literally what was leaked nearly a year ago!

49 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The only aspects that got a decent budget it seems were the minifig prints and those printed 2x3 and 2x2 tiles in 77015.

Yeah, that goes on me. But that’s also why I need to know why all of those sets were cancelled: so we know what to look out for, so we don’t get excited again for sets that may end up being shoved headfirst into a woodchipper

Honestly as a DC fan I'm somewhat immune to notions of corner cutting. There's a reason certain sets aren't on display and certain minifigures have purist upgrades.

I fully expect DOD sets will release at some point, just not until after the movie comes out. Disney takes it's secrecy pretty seriously. I mean for No Way Home the Lego designers were given one concept image of Dr. Strange's basement and some suit concepts and nothing else until after the movie came out. I imagine for the final Indiana Jones movie they're not going to take the chance of a Lego leak spoiling anything. I mean most of the Indy merchandise seen so far for this year has been based on the previous movies with the exception of a handful of overly generic action figures.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Is Avatar a new evergreen theme? Is LOTR? Was Overwatch meant to be one?

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Is Avatar a new evergreen theme? Is LOTR? Was Overwatch meant to be one?

• Avatar is a special case since the two waves were so close together and they were each supposed to tie in with a movie. After all, the first movie was rereleased just before the first wave came out. Also, there are no other sets coming this year and it doesn’t look like there will be more until Avatar 3 comes out :shrug_oh_well:
  • LOTR is not really a theme, it’s just part of Icons now. We already know at least one other D2C set is planned.
  • Overwatch was intended to be brought back after a significant gap and ended up being cancelled anyway :laugh_hard: That’s like calling the 2018 JW sets a follow-up wave to the 2015 sets. That was more of a (failed) reboot, and like Avatar, tied to a new release.

Yeah, not the best examples. Follow-up waves in the sense of „new wave(s) in the year(s) after a movie comes out“ don‘t exist anymore outside of evergreen themes. And even if they still did, those waves tend to get smaller, not larger.

So even if there were more sets in 2024, which is highly unlikely to begin with, why should there be more than 3 sets? Why would they release 3 sets in a year with a new movie and more in a year without any support like that? :laugh:

The statement from LEGO could also be interpreted in such a way that LucasFilm / Disney had no intention of offering the license and LEGO had to fight for the 4 / 3 sets.

Possibly LEGO even wanted to release the ToD set, after all they did it in 2008 / 2009, but LucasFilm / LucasArts / Disney had concerns about the controversy that already existed in 2008 / 2009 or when the film was shot at that time.

I don't want to defend LEGO, don't worry, but that's theoretically possible too.

We will probably never find out what the true background is or was.

With the series out now, I still have no doubts that DoD sets will be released, if the film is a commercial success and not a flop and it contains themes that can be implemented as a set without entering into religious, military or politically divisive discussions.

I can't understand why there's such a discussion here as if it were almost certain that DoD isn't coming.

But of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion :-)

15 minutes ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

I can't understand why there's such a discussion here as if it were almost certain that DoD isn't coming.

But of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion :-)

1. TLG is not listed as a licensee for the official DoD product range.
  2. Promobricks made up the set numbers, as @THELEGOBATMAN pointed out. They heard that 8 sets were coming and just filled in the gaps. For all we know, those four could be BrickHeadz :laugh_hard:
  3. There are no listings anywhere.

They can‘t just conjure up multiple sets all of a sudden. Not even D2C sets are kept secret that well!

And by 2024, it‘d be too late. No kid is gonna care about DoD anymore then, if they even care about it in the first place :shrug_oh_well:

12 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:
  1. TLG is not listed as a licensee for the official DoD product range.
  2. Promobricks made up the set numbers, as @THELEGOBATMAN pointed out. They heard that 8 sets were coming and just filled in the gaps. For all we know, those four could be BrickHeadz :laugh_hard:
  3. There are no listings anywhere.

They can‘t just conjure up multiple sets all of a sudden. Not even D2C sets are kept secret that well!

And by 2024, it‘d be too late. No kid is gonna care about DoD anymore then, if they even care about it in the first place :shrug_oh_well:

OK.

I understand now, thanks for the explanation.

At first I thought the doubts were only due to the fact that the sets no longer appear in the retailers' order lists, so I must have missed or misunderstood something when following the posts.

The doubts due to the licensees not listing the license are of course understandable, insofar as this is a 100% reliable source.

Then, of course, the concerns are understandable.

23 minutes ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

Then, of course, the concerns are understandable.

Sadly, yes. I had completely forgotten what exactly Promobricks had stated back in July until @THELEGOBATMAN pointed it out. I think most of us simply took their speculation as fact :shrug_oh_well:

So it‘s pretty likely that DoD sets were never even planned to begin with. Less stupid than cancelling them, but stupid nonetheless.

The Mikkelsen curse is real. The irony of the most famous Danish actor not getting immortalised as a toy by the most famous Danish company despite starring in so many franchises they have made products for is just delicious :laugh_hard: I feel bad for him as he seems the type of person who would be proud of getting a minifig based on one of their characters

13 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Sadly, yes. I had completely forgotten what Promobricks had stated back in July until @THELEGOBATMAN pointed it out. I think most of us simply took their speculation as fact :shrug_oh_well:

So it‘s pretty likely that DoD sets were never even planned to begin with. Less stupid than cancelling them, but stupid nonetheless.

The Mikkelsen curse is real. The irony of the most famous Danish actor not getting immortalised as a toy by the most famous Danish company despite starring in so many franchises they have made products for is just delicious :laugh_hard: I feel bad for him as he seems the type of person who would be proud of getting a minifig based on one of their characters

Yes, then it is obvious that the consecutive set numbers were guessed more than they were actually considered confirmed.

sad affair.

There is no other way to say it.

ToD cancelled, Dod almost certainly not coming.
LEGO can only surprise us, but apparently that is not to be expected.

Really strange that they don't use the hype surrounding the new film to massively push the series into retail.

Especially since there hasn't been an adventure series from LEGO for a long time and that would have been the opportunity for LEGO to resurrect an unlicensed adventure series with Larry Jones or Johnny Thunder after the licensed series ended.

Just like LEGO City Jungle or LEGO City Wildlife.

Maybe I'm too subjective, but I think that these topics should still be popular with children today.

But their market research will probably simply have a different result.

29 minutes ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

Really strange that they don't use the hype surrounding the new film to massively push the series into retail.

Exactly. Maybe they just came to the conclusion that sets based on those two movies would make the most financial sense. 

Given how similar these sets are to their 2008/09 counterparts with the exception of the biplane being replaced with a car and the three additional minifigs, I think they‘re just cashing in on nostalgia, not only for the movies, but the older sets too.

The theme thus feels more like a polished rerelease than a true revival.

4 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The theme thus feels more like a polished rerelease than a true revival.

Yes, in this context, it really doesn't seem to be more than that.

Hopefully we can at least somehow get hold of the 6 minifigures they took from us with the ToD cancellation.

I hope that there will be something along these lines for some anniversary, even if I very much doubt it.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I don't know about that, because otherwise why would they even make the April wave? I don't see the point. It would be like doing only the October Avatar wave without making the January Way of Water one.

I don't think we're ever getting those sets, but I feel like they definitely had to be planned at one point. Why make legacy sets, but not ones for a brand new movie?

Then again, I have no idea why they would cancel the sets (or just the idea of making them).