Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

Again, why don't we all wait a bit and see what happens?  I'm a bit skeptical of this "Indy 5 sets are totally cancelled" news.  It just doesn't logically make sense to revive a theme, put out 3-4 sets that don't coincide with the new movie, and that's it, especially when Hasbro and other toy companies will have Indy 5 toys out on the shelves (which have already been revealed).

Even still, at the end of the day, if stuff is cancelled, sure it'd be disappointing, but it's still just a toy.  I don't think it's worth letting that bother you (this is a general you, not targeted at one person) that much.

1 minute ago, Alegrispa said:

Again, they haven't even announced these sets yet.

(meant to have this merged to my earlier reply)

That doesn’t change anything. It got far enough into production that I want an explanation. Sure, they don’t technically owe us one as the sets were not officially announced, but I’m effin pissed nonetheless

2 minutes ago, Brick Clicker said:

Just to clarify I was saying the Indy 5 sets could be cancelled seen as we've seen no leaks for them or any retail listings about them. NOT confirmation. 

Thank you for the clarification. Can you say whether the Temple of Doom is either delayed or outright cancelled, and are you aware of any reasons for said delay/cancellation (whoever the case may be)? 

4 minutes ago, Brick Clicker said:

Just to clarify I was saying the Indy 5 sets could be cancelled seen as we've seen no leaks for them or any retail listings about them. NOT confirmation. 

^
no need to panic yet

Sad news. 

maybe the sets are just too military for some and with the war in Ukraine right now and all the other tensions in the world they are afraid it’ll affect their business in a bad way? Just an idea

5 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I agree that this is unbelievable, which is why I do not believe you. Also, @Brick Clicker can speak for himself here if he wants to weigh in; I am personally suspicious of someone who is making claims that have not been substantiated elsewhere, and claiming to have received information via DM that could just as easily have been posted to IG. 

Perhaps I misunderstood what was fully being said but I read the DM as QUOTE “They are getting canned sadly” in response to MineCraft_Goat claim about Indy 5 sets. 

Is there any chance the Temple of Doom set might’ve been made a lego store exclusive last minute??? Is this all coming out because retailers aren’t listing it on their website? 

2 minutes ago, Borex said:

maybe the sets are just too military for some and with the war in Ukraine right now and all the other tensions in the world they are afraid it’ll affect their business in a bad way? Just an idea

I feel like that's a bit farfetched. Especially with a theme like Star "Wars" around.

Just now, Huigberts Builds said:

I feel like that's a bit farfetched. Especially with a theme like Star "Wars" around.

Also, only one set from the classic trilogy has any military content, no sets have been made for KotCS (which means no Russian soldiers), and it does not appear that DoD will have a strong military focus (flashback scenes aside). 

9 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That doesn’t change anything. It got far enough into production that I want an explanation. Sure, they don’t technically owe us one as the sets were not officially announced, but I’m effin pissed nonetheless

The LEGO Group owes BrickBob Studpants an explanation !! BrickBob Studpants is effin pissed and The LEGO Group owes BrickBob Studpants an explanation!

I’m enjoying seeing the frenzy in the forums but I will be sad if I don’t get to finally get the Temple of Doom set. All this outrage will probably make the price for the original set skyrocket even more huh?

19 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I just checked the current date, and it is June 30th; if the sets were scheduled for April 1st, I can see LEGO pushing them back a bit just to better coincide with the film’s release. 

I don’t think that’d warrant a change, especially in a case as odd as this one. The movie’s been set for June 30 for over a year now so I don’t know why they’d change the release date, especially since these four April sets aren’t even the ones tying in with the new film. Theoretically, those could release at any time, especially since they’ve probably been ready for quite a while now.

I just think all this uncertainty and the talk of a potential delay or outright cancellation of not just one but FIVE of the original eight sets that were rumored is so strange and unprecedented. As for Indy 5 specifically, it’s not like there’s a lack of set material just going off of the trailers. I did think it was a little odd that Lego wasn’t even mentioned in the press release for new Indy merch a couple weeks ago (even if I wasn’t expecting full-on set reveals then), but now I’m wondering if there was more to it.

15 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

And what explanation are you looking for? Pretty obvious that they cancelled it (if they cancelled it at all) simply to avoid bad press first, and to be sensitive towards a 1.4 billion people second.

But sorry you won't get a toy that you really, really wanted.

7 minutes ago, Actor Builder said:

The LEGO Group owes BrickBob Studpants an explanation !! BrickBob Studpants is effin pissed and The LEGO Group owes BrickBob Studpants an explanation!

Maybe saying we’re owed an explanation is a bit much, but I can understand the sentiment. People were really anticipating this Indy relaunch for a very long time and to quote Lando Calrissian, now it seems that “this deal is getting worse all the time!” 

2 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

And what explanation are you looking for? Pretty obvious that they cancelled it (if they cancelled it at all) simply to avoid bad press first, and to be sensitive towards a 1.4 billion people second.

Lay off a bit. There’s no need to be so condescending. They’re clearly not just referencing the potential TOD cancellation, but also whatever is going on with the Indy 5 sets.

Edited by The Stud

Hold up,is the ToD set the only thing getting cancelled or the whole damn line?If it's the latter,it's a damn shame.Guess no dual molded fedora/hair for us.

But if it is the former I have a few guesses as to why it is getting cancelled.With todays political climate where portraying non-Whites as the villains in anything (including toys) is outright hereretical for the powers that be then TLGs decision make sense from a certain standpoint.

2 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

No normal, average person cares that some movie released decades ago can be seen as insensitive in some ways. Would the ToD set really be the thing to sink Lego?

5 minutes ago, The Stud said:

Lay off a bit. There’s no need to be so condescending. They’re clearly not just referencing the potential TOD cancellation, but also whatever is going on with the Indy 5 sets.

My mistake, looking back they did seem to be mainly upset about the Indy 5 sets, not the ToD set.

Sorry @BrickBob Studpants.

Edited by Alegrispa

5 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

Pretty obvious that they cancelled it (if they cancelled it at all) simply to avoid bad press first, and to be sensitive towards a 1.4 billion people second.

We do not have confirmation yet that the set has been cancelled, and if it were to be cancelled due to sensitivity/bad press, I find it difficult to believe that Disney would have let LEGO make (and almost release!) the set in the first place. 

10 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

Yea man we wouldn't want to offend Indians but who gives a damn about Germans or Russians right?We can make all the toys and merchandise that we want based on movies where they are demonised as evil monsters.

Speaking of,I find it interesting how the sets based on the 4th movie that got released back in the day were never allowed to be released in Russia.Pretty based on their part.

Edited by Pulp Detective

Just now, Classic_Spaceman said:

We do not have confirmation yet that the set has been cancelled, and if it were to be cancelled due to sensitivity/bad press, I find it difficult to believe that Disney would have let LEGO make (and almost release!) the set in the first place. 

Again Brickclicker said that it was cancelled months ago and that pictures should’ve never leaked (I don’t really get that considering the leaked pictures were of the American Box Art not preliminary pics or something)

4 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

My mistake, looking back they did seem to be mainly upset about the Indy 5 sets, not the ToD set.

Sorry @BrickBob Studpants.

It’s okay! :purrr:

I don’t think it’s farfetched to demand an explanation as to why an entire wave based on an upcoming movie gets cancelled :tongue:

Good thing that’s not actually confirmed

Just now, Pulp Detective said:

Yea man we wouldn't want to offend Indians but who gives a damn about Germans or Russians right?We can make all the toys and merchandise that we want based on movies were they are demonised as evil monsters.

This is an absurd strawman, and you absolutely know that. Also, if you are personally offended that Germans are the villains in the Indiana Jones series, you are literally a Nazi. 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

What is more likely is that the set has some kind of stability/structural issue, and it has been delayed until said issue can be fixed. This has happened before with the 2021 Marvel mechs, and considering that the set was designed around two years ago (during peak COVID), there may be a similar designed-from-home flaw in this set. 

This scenario would actually turn out to be hilarious. 

1 minute ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

This is an absurd strawman, and you absolutely know that. Also, if you are personally offended that Germans are the villains in the Indiana Jones series, you are literally a Nazi. 

Some people seem to be unintentionally revealing their true selves

13 minutes ago, Pulp Detective said:

With todays political climate where portraying non-Whites as the villains in anything (including toys) is outright hereretical for the powers that be then TLGs decision make sense from a certain standpoint.

That’s all true I can’t believe they’re cancelling ant man 3 you’re so smart