Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

Posted (edited)

I have a vision that we will get a great Indiana Jones video game

After that we will get an Indiana Jones TV-serie, which starts when Indy is still young. Even 10 years old. 

This all will happen in 3-5 years. Harrison Ford won't be in main role. That character could be even Indy's son or daughter OR we could go even back in time - then we would start from Indys father. (If any of you thinks Indy is dead - Then you don't understand at all about FRANCHISE) how those work. 

Difficulty is to get younger audience interested - but then there is possible new Indy lego game, lego sets and lego indy animation movie, indy animation movie and/or indy animation series. BUT Indy is not going anywhere. 

Think about that for 1 second... or even 2.

Edited by legoturtle

2 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

I still posit that all copies of the ToD set are forever locked away in Hangar 51.

As someone who didn’t really enjoy ToD, the only sad thing about this whole affair is not getting a Short Round minifigure, as well as another Indy variant. I think it’s beyond pathetic that it took conceptualising this set, designing and possibly producing a new mould for Mola-Ram, and generating the box art etc. before they decided to cancel it. This really should have just been another set to begin with, especially as it was the flagship non-18+ set and that’s a huge reason why the wave we got felt so tiny.

I liked the design and would likely have purchased the set. I rewatched ToD recently and while it's certainly a product of the 80s and the worst of the OT if for nothing else than Willie's screaming (Note to Spielberg- you can make it clear indy finds her annoying without making me want to cringe every time she shows up on screen), it isn't as bad as people say- they don't act like the cult is in any way emblematic of indian culture or hinduism. It actually makes kind of a nice parallel- the cult uses Kali in a similar manner to how the nazis co-opted norse deities.

I could see the argument for removing the Kali statue, as it is a real-world deity, even if the cult worshipping it isn't. But the rest of the set seemed fun.

59 minutes ago, legoturtle said:

I have a vision that we will get a great Indiana Jones video game

After that we will get an Indiana Jones TV-serie, which starts when Indy is still young. Even 10 years old. 

This all will happen in 3-5 years. Harrison Ford won't be in main role. That character could be even Indy's son or daughter OR we could go even back in time - then we would start from Indys father. (If any of you thinks Indy is dead - Then you don't understand at all about FRANCHISE) how those work. 

My guy. It is over. The video game in development doesn't change anything in regards to the lego sets. A MOVIE didn't get it's on lego sets. The game won't. And while I'm not super up to date on rumors, IIRC the rumored show (Not about young indy but about Marion's Father in his early days) was cancelled before really any development was done. In fact, Lucasfilm's been pretty public about stepping back from everything but Star Wars to focus on that property. We won't see any indy movies or shows anytime soon.

The point is there are no sets coming anytime soon.  There's nothing about it to discuss. The theme came back for a couple of sets and left again. Maybe at some point it'll return again, but for the foreseeable future, LEGO INDIANA JONES IS DEAD.

We‘ve been over this before :hmpf: If the final movie can‘t get any sets, what on Earth makes you think a videogame of all things stands a chance? Most of the time, not even Star Wars video games get sets, just look at the Jedi series. Plus there are no rumoured shows in development. The alleged show about Marion‘s dad has ceased to exist. Lucasfilm are reportedly only working on Star Wars content for the foreseeable future. Plain and simple, it‘s over!

And of course IJ is a current theme, because the three sets are still available. Once they reach their EOL (Dec 2024 presumably), it‘s curtains for the theme :tongue: 

Well I hope we contact lego and ask why they won't make sets about the new movie?

I heard that when Indiana Jones launched - LEGO did not give enough sets for retailers.

@legoturtle: We will never get a straight answer from them. First off, customer service only know what they need to know, and contractual details and meeting protocols are not part of that :tongue: And secondly, this sort of information is generally kept secret since it concerns arrangements with other business partners, in this case Lucasfilm/Disney. That sort of thing is not meant for the public to see.

I mean, what do you expect? Them to come forward and say “yeah, we didn’t make DoD sets since we didn’t expect them to sell anyway based on the lackluster sales of the KotCS merch in 2008”? :laugh: Because that’s what I suspect happened, hence their focus on two of the first three movies.

Well, LEGO community could come forward and ask for somekind of information about Indiana Jones franchise. What is the point of buy these sets - if you don't know anything from the future. Not even is it just those 3 sets. OR will LEGO at least try to make 4 set or from newest movie. Which makes good results in Apple TV.

Is that franchise finished. For how long? What about indy game, indy tv-serie, those won't count at all? Why was these 3 sets launch so bad? What went wrong. Lego could at least a bit explain what is going on.

For example - I try to buy all CITY/Space sets 2024 because I have trust for that Franchise. It is clear. Lego puts 100 % for that.

It’s a business plain and simple, and they don’t owe us an explanation for their business decisions :wink: We‘re customers, not (non-existent) shareholders!

I say this as a huge Indy fan, as someone who was looking forward to the return of this theme for years, expecting a grand return à la Harry Potter with multiple waves, BrickHeadz, polybags and everything, as someone who cleared an entire display cabinet in anticipation of these sets, and as someone who was incredibly disappointed when it became clear that those 3 sets were it:

We need to let it go.

There is absolutely no point in going in circles about this. 

54 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

It’s a business plain and simple, and they don’t owe us an explanation for their business decisions :wink: We‘re customers, not (non-existent) shareholders!

Well, that attitude has to change. If Apple makes mistake - it explains it for customers.

2 minutes ago, legoturtle said:

Well, that attitude has to change. If Apple makes mistake - it explains it for customers.

Lego didn't make a mistake though.

They made a handful of sets to take advantage of the movie coming out and that's it. They never promised an evergreen theme, no promise was broken. We only even know about the TOD set because of leakers, and when they canceled it they gave us a statement even though we weren't owed it in any way.

The only ones who I‘d like to hear an explanation from are Promobricks. Not that it makes a difference at this point, but I‘d like to know if they misunderstood something, if their source was misinformed, or if 77016-19 were actually planned at some point and then cancelled :shrug_oh_well:

It‘s the first and so far only time they reported on a non-existing range of sets!

2 hours ago, legoturtle said:

Is that franchise finished. For how long? What about indy game, indy tv-serie, those won't count at all? Why was these 3 sets launch so bad? What went wrong. Lego could at least a bit explain what is going on.

For example - I try to buy all CITY/Space sets 2024 because I have trust for that Franchise. It is clear. Lego puts 100 % for that.

Not sure there is any indication that the launch was "so bad." They just decided to only make these sets, and that's that. We can deliberate why they could have done this in circles, but it doesn't change anything. I am sure LEGO makes their choices based on license-holders's requests, profit expectations, etc. as any good business would. As such, they made three sets for the line. 

LEGO put 100% into the three Indy sets released, as I'm sure many would agree. They put 100% into the Space 2024. There is no indication that Space will continue after next year, and LEGO didn't make a mistake if they don't make more for years afterwards. 

I have seen an image... Indiana Jones minifigure (Temple of Doom). It is a quite impressive minifigure. So I believe they made whole set. Show it to public in Germany BUT then they pull it back. AND then happened something.

Indy minifigure is different in all 4 sets. It is very well made and whole combination of 4 sets thought true. 

19 minutes ago, legoturtle said:

So there was no fare in Germany where those sets were?

Toy Fairs are for retailers, they see plenty of prototypes and things that never see release. It's a preview of a product, not a guarantee of what will actually be made.

15 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The only ones who I‘d like to hear an explanation from are Promobricks. Not that it makes a difference at this point, but I‘d like to know if they misunderstood something, if their source was misinformed, or if 77016-19 were actually planned at some point and then cancelled :shrug_oh_well:

It‘s the first and so far only time they reported on a non-existing range of sets!

I'm betting their sources information was just out of date. I think those sets probably were planned at one point and then eventually scrapped and that the leaker had only part of that information. After all, we know that internally stuff gets scrapped all the time in the planning phase.

Hey, this could be 1 reason. What would have been the set / story / act in that CANCELLED set?

Previous was this:

The Temple of Doom is a LEGO Indiana Jonestoyset released in 2009. 

Based on the minecart chase from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, the set came with LEGOminifigures of Indiana Jones, Willie Scott, Short Round, a Temple Guard, the Chief Guard and Mola Ram.

... Could I be that there was something different this time. Lego heart, doll, something too violent.??

Posted (edited)

@legoturtle

....this thread is going round in circles. It's as simple as any one of the following (pick one):

Possibilities of why Lego did not released the set:

1. What was once an okay thing to release no longer is. The film has been criticized by Indians for almost forty years for many reasons, and people are more sensitive to that type of bad press these days. The original Lego set from 2008 just got lucky.
  2. The film is barely PG-13. If R had existed, ToD would have been that. (It was invented because of this film, Gremlins and a few others) LEGO doesn't make sets off R properties, and the film is WAY too violent / graphic.
  3. Too much merchandise left over from Crystal Skull's release across many companies in 2008 led to Disney being super selective on what they okay to produce.
  4. It's insulting to Hindus to depict Kali in such a fashion as ToD did, most likely especially in a children's toy.
  5. other reasons non-specific
  6. all of the above

Any which way you slice it, it doesn't matter why it wasn't released. We don't have the right to know the reasons anyway, and so much guesswork a to the rationale is ridiculous. Why does any company do anything? Because they want to. It's as simple as that. end of discussion.

And, to everyone:

Let the conversation die. This poor dead horse has been beat so much at this point there is nothing left of it to beat! So please don't "@" me. As Elsa sang: Just let it go!

Perhaps @Clone OPatra should just lock the thread, if possible?

EDIT: sorry if this post comes across as rude. Every time i see this thread I get hopeful, then disappointed to see it's the same discussion going round and around.

Edited by Murdoch17

We‘re not beating a dead horse here, we‘re beating its cremated remains! :laugh_hard: Every post made in this thread after April 1st 2023 (unless talking about the three sets) was basically entirely pointless, including my own lamentations :snicker:

Unless something crazy happens (like another factory leak or something), this is the last post I‘m making in this thread. See you guys elsewhere on EB! :tongue:

5 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Possibilities of why Lego did not released the set:

Also, wasn't there a possible structural issue? I wouldn't be shocked if it were any of your reasons and I think you're right, but I feel like there was also another potential problem I had heard about.

19 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I am utterly shocked no one has quoted Last Crusade yet...

"Indiana...let it go"

Agreed!

40 minutes ago, legoturtle said:

Guys!!! We have 1 change? ... LEGO Ideas... I realised that today when I saw this... WE CAN MAKE IT TOGETHER AND POST IT TO IDEAS... let's male a better version of that set. Fan made set. Community made set. And the let send it to LEGO and LEGO Ideas.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/4fe9d880-3693-4b28-af71-95d1273d59e0

Ideas isn't accepting Indiana Jones set ideas currently.

46 minutes ago, strangely said:

Ideas isn't accepting Indiana Jones set ideas currently.

And even if we did, it comes back to - LEGO didn't make that set for a reason. No idea what the "better set" you speak of would be @legoturtle, since the design was already pretty great, but if LEGO didn't decide to produce the set they completely designed, they aren't gonna make it because of ideas either. 

And with that, I am done posting in this thread. It's going in circles. I loved the 3 sets we got, and I'm happy to have those. See you in another thread, everyone.