Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

Hmm, what went wrong with the 2023 Indiana Jones wave of LEGO?

No clue, I bought 2 of the 3 sets. First time I bought any Indy LEGO sets.

So I guess the voodoo doll from the the canceled Temple of Doom set is on EBay. That’s pretty cool. 

46 minutes ago, RODDY said:

So I guess the voodoo doll from the the canceled Temple of Doom set is on EBay. That’s pretty cool. 

If it’s genuine, that is :tongue: Kinda fishy that this person not only claims to have the leaked part, but also a misprint they advertise to include for free should the bids go above a threshold.

Weird. I was under the impression the set had been cancelled well before hitting production. Honestly, I don’t like the idea of individual parts now leaking, given how crazily expensive it would be to hunt them all down :tongue:

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

If it’s genuine, that is :tongue: Kinda fishy that this person not only claims to have the leaked part, but also a misprint they advertise to include for free should the bids go above a threshold.

Weird. I was under the impression the set had been cancelled well before hitting production. Honestly, I don’t like the idea of individual parts now leaking, given how crazily expensive it would be to hunt them all down :tongue:

If any of the minifigs make it for sale, I’m getting popcorn ready to see the prices on those bad boys. 

1 hour ago, RODDY said:

If any of the minifigs make it for sale, I’m getting popcorn ready to see the prices on those bad boys. 

If just a nanofig goes for $100+, the mere thought of that makes my skin crawl :jollyroger:

11 hours ago, Shiva said:

@legoturtle Those could be how the youtubeman feels it like.

Well If you watched the video - you probably not say like that. For example retailers did not get enough sets. Only few.

16 hours ago, RODDY said:

Neat, actual news! Let’s take this as an opportunity to move on from whatever the heck all the Nazi discourse was.

Regardless, it looks like the seller is from Norway and is also selling a bunch of other one of a kind misprints; probably assembly line snags like we were seeing with Cody earlier this year. I wonder if there’s a chance of any of the figs surfacing…I secretly hope they don’t because seeing a Short Round fig that I’ll never be able to own might break my heart.

2 hours ago, Portal Out said:

I wonder if there’s a chance of any of the figs surfacing…I secretly hope they don’t because seeing a Short Round fig that I’ll never be able to own might break my heart.

Same. Not being able to afford a SDCC minifig is one thing, but this would be so much worse :cry_sad: Also, if they actually were being produced at the time of cancellation, can you imagine hundreds or thousands of minifig parts being shredded or molten?! Just the thought hurts

I wonder where the joy comes from of owning one of these stupidly rare, incredibly expensive figures? You clearly wouldn't play with them. Would you even display them? What about the risk of UV exposure for discolouration or cracking? About even having them assembled and cracking. Do they tucked away in a box, in pieces, and you just know they are there?

The whole ToD set fiasco is just so frustrating. Why they couldn't have decided earlier on that they didn't want it, I do not know. Such a waste of a potential set, or a set slot for something else.

4 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

The whole ToD set fiasco is just so frustrating. Why they couldn't have decided earlier on that they didn't want it, I do not know. Such a waste of a potential set, or a set slot for something else.

completely agree. There are two real cases here where it's on lego- the first that it was structural issues, in which case... c'mon. Doesn't matter if you build MOCs or not, everyone on this forum could make the temple stable, a lego designer should be able to knock that out in an afternoon without adding much at all to the part count or cost. The second that it was for "brand values", which really gets on my nerves because no, you designed a set, designed the figures, made packaging, apparently produced at least one copy-  you cannot tell me you got that far without considering "brand values".

I think the most likely one is that Disney/Lucasfilm changed their minds on it and made lego scrap the set, since we know they don't seem to be a fan of ToD merchandise

92777_77014-scaledup.jpgBy MarcusDewaine in United States, 13 Mar 2023

I'm a marketer and often work with our internal PR department and I am getting VERY tired of these companies and businesses giving half-assed, non-specific answers. 

They try and sweep things under the rug and hope everyone forgets the issue, with hopes of protecting their brand image. 

But IMO, treating your customer base like children and giving non-answers is so much worse than actually providing a response.

--------------------------------------

(it might be that we get this set later and others. maybe TLG wants to see how people react these sets).

https://brickset.com/article/92777/why-has-77014-the-temple-of-doom-been-cancelled

Edited by legoturtle

The most likely reasoning behind it being cancelled is that Disney/LF pulled the plug, as I can only think of one other example of a set that made it that far into production stage and was cancelled (Osprey Helicopter) and that one both was given a clear PR explanation as to why they cancelled it, and also had a more likely reason for it being scrapped (the gear function straight up didn't work), so they could blame the very, very small public backlash since it was probably easier than pulling every copy they had already made in order to redesign the set.

I mean, technically, the fact that we got any explanation at all is a surprise to me, since the set was never announced or publicly revealed, it was just a set number and leaked photo.  They didn't have to even acknowledge the fact that the set existed.

While LEGO product cancellations are relatively common, this example is unusual because this set was exhibited at Nuremberg Toy Fair and images have leaked online.

6 minutes ago, legoturtle said:

While LEGO product cancellations are relatively common, this example is unusual […] 

Doesn’t matter in the end though. The set has been cancelled, they’ve acknowledged it, and that’s it :tongue: What else do you expect?

Well there might have been some kind of problem with set, for example quality. now we have to wait they fix it and second wave on indy sets could be coming 2024.

1 hour ago, legoturtle said:

Well there might have been some kind of problem with set, for example quality. now we have to wait they fix it and second wave on indy sets could be coming 2024.

The theme is dead. 77014 has been cancelled and we’ve known for ages that there won‘t be more sets in 2024. We should simply accept it and move on :tongue: Feel free to believe in miracles, but it‘s a waste of time I‘m afraid

Posted (edited)

:jollyroger: Well it is 2024...

This year I try to get adventure sets: Orient Express (train) and Natural History Museum (base). BOTH are adventure sets even with adventurer minifigures (1 per / set). So this is sad but there will come something good out from this I hope. Also "Space subtheme" is amazing thing. CITY and Technic line-up... and then there is a rumour about spaceship like Galaxy Explorer.

THE END 

Edited by legoturtle

1 thing I just have to ask... WHY we did not get any sets from Indy 5?

When Indy 4 game, there were sets from that movie.

very upsetting abt that statuette as someone who collects them

the dream is they end up making more sets and put it in one of those, but i know thats very unlikely

9 hours ago, legoturtle said:

1 thing I just have to ask... WHY we did not get any sets from Indy 5?

When Indy 4 game, there were sets from that movie.

I'm guessing this was a decision by Disney. But then again, Lego didn't make any sets for the third Fantastic Beasts movie either so that seems to imply it's not just a studio thing (unless WB also made the same decision) but Lego itself felt some of these sequels were going to underperform/flop and weren't worth making merchandise for.

1 hour ago, JeanGreyForever said:

I'm guessing this was a decision by Disney. But then again, Lego didn't make any sets for the third Fantastic Beasts movie either so that seems to imply it's not just a studio thing (unless WB also made the same decision) but Lego itself felt some of these sequels were going to underperform/flop and weren't worth making merchandise for.

It's also important to note that lego has been having an issue of producing sets that don't go on to sell well as film tie-ins. Eternals sets sold terribly, and even sets for films that did well at the box office, like Black Panther 2, became big shelfwarmers. (The amount of Shuri's Sunbirds I see at walmarts...)

We are now talking about INDIANA JONES ... which you can compare franchise like: 

- Star Wars
- James Bond 007
- Jurassic Park

AND Indy 5 is doing fine with 4K discs and for example Apple TV digital movies (rent/buy). There is also a game coming from studio who made Wolfenstein (Nazis). If there is a movie, Indy 5... why there are no sets from the movie? We have sets from 4 indy movies... but not from this newest. MAYBE lego did not have information about the movie. That why they started to make 4 sets from indy 1,2,3 ... 

We can only speculate, but my guess is that they anticipated low sales for merchandise based on DoD and thus decided to focus on RotlA and TlC only. Given the performance of DoD, it was a wise decision, at least from a financial point of view :shrug_oh_well: 

No point in mulling over it. The Indy theme is dead, but there are plenty of other themes to get excited for this year! :excited: