Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

45 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Next year we are getting the same amount of sets,with three (possibly four) being based on the older movies and four on the upcoming movie.I think it's safe to assume that the release schedule for next year will be similar to the one from '08.

But do ye believe that we could be getting another set in 2024?

6 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

But do ye believe that we could be getting another set in 2024?

For the time being I'm more focused on what's coming up next year :grin:

Whenever I will want to see more indy sets beyond next year will be based on how good the new sets will be.

Edited by LOTR34

Just now, LOTR34 said:

Whenever I will want to see more indy sets beyond next year will be based on how good the new sets will be.

Indeed, by the sound of it, first wave has to be rather good but who knows...:def_shrug:

9 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Indeed, by the sound of it, first wave has to be rather good but who knows...:def_shrug:

I'm not particular fond of the idea that half of those sets are remakes.There is alot of material that they can adapt on lego form like the Petra Temple for example,yet they choose to lazily remake older sets.Either they are planning on more waves with more original sets or this is just a quick cash grab,which why they are remaking older sets especialy those that are based on iconic scenes like the Temple of Doom or the Ark Tomb.

And lastly if the 150$ set is based on the 4th movie then along side with the four sets which are based on the 5th one,we'll end up with 5 sets worth of old indy.Which is really lame honestly :hmpf_bad::laugh_hard:

Edited by LOTR34

1 minute ago, LOTR34 said:

And lastly if the 150$ set is based on the 4th movie then along side the four sets for the 5th one we'll end up with 5 sets worth of old indy,which is really lame honestly :hmpf_bad::laugh_hard:

Maybe we will get a set from 5th film with younger Indy.

2 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

There is alot of material that they can adapt on lego form like the Petra Temple for example,yet they choose to lazily remake older sets.

LEGO seems to do that quite a lot nowadays.

1 minute ago, Jack Sassy said:

Maybe we will get a set from 5th film with younger Indy.

I haven't been following the movie leaks since I don't care for the movie but I heard from you guys that there will time traveling antics,meaning that there could be a younger indy.Guess we'll have to wait for more details on those new sets.

4 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

LEGO seems to do that quite a lot nowadays.

And unfortunately most of their actions are misses in my opinion any way.But that is another topic so let us not derail this thread.

I'm pretty excited for the return of LEGO Indiana Jones! The new Indy minifigure sounds great and getting Sallah is very welcome. I hope LEGO does a new hat mold for Henry Jones, Sr.

Looking forward to all the set reveals!

Also to add to a point that I made earlier.Out all the sets they decided to remake from TLC,why did they decide to remake the plane chase?I think it would have been more preferable if they remade the bike chase instead,since it is not only cheaper but it contains the same characters as the plane one.

Guess licenced sets can't have small cheap sets any more.

This is a reboot of a 15 year old theme, so of course they‘re focussing on remakes of classic scenes, at least for now! A lot more lucrative than appeasing collectors I‘d say :tongue:

Also, while the old sets have aged decently overall, they‘re still in dire need of updates, so I‘m actually glad we‘re getting some remakes first! HP was treated the same way in 2018, to great effect

4 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

This is a reboot of a 15 year old theme, so of course they‘re focussing on remakes of classic scenes, at least for now! A lot more lucrative than appeasing collectors I‘d say :tongue:

Also, while the old sets have aged decently overall, they‘re still in dire need of updates, so I‘m actually glad we‘re getting some remakes first! HP was treated the same way in 2018, to great effect

I'm just tired of remakes that is all :hmpf_bad: and while I think that they have their place in a long running theme or a returning one they should be few and far between.Which is a contrast to how things are now with the overabundance of remakes from various themes.

Edited by LOTR34

5 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

I'm just tired of remakes that is all :hmpf_bad: and while I think that they have their place in a long running theme or a returning one they should be few and far between.

A lot of people don‘t have the old sets and no means to get them though, especially kids. For them, this is the perfect opportunity!

While I‘m not huge on constant remakes either (looking at you, Star Wars), after 15 years it’s more than justified in my opinion :wink:

10 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

A lot of people don‘t have the old sets and no means to get them though, especially kids. For them, this is the perfect opportunity!

While I‘m not huge on constant remakes either (looking at you, Star Wars), after 15 years it’s more than justified in my opinion :wink:

You are not wrong but I'll reserve final judgement for the time being.If this theme is meant to outlive the next year then that gives the designers an opportunity to create more original sets.

22 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Exactly this. It makes most business sense for LEGO to focus on the key scenes, within the price points that they've set. With a limited run needing mass market appeal, they're going to focus on the greatest hits.

3 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

Also to add to a point that I made earlier.Out all the sets they decided to remake from TLC,why did they decide to remake the plane chase?I think it would have been more preferable if they remade the bike chase instead,since it is not only cheaper but it contains the same characters as the plane one.

Perhaps they in fact wanted to remake a set with proper build, and that plane set is the best bet from Last Crusade. I always preferred Motorcycle Chase over Fighter Plane Attack, but it is nice to see this set getting remade in a somewhat original manner (with the car and all that), Venice Canal Chase would not be the same as Indy doesn't have his classic attire. Still, not too fond that all of these are remakes but I shall take them for what they are. :excited:

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Also, Indy doesn’t have nearly the same amount of source material as something like Star Wars or even HP (I know Indy has the TV show and the comics, but realistically I don’t think we’re getting anything from those).  On top of that, the nature of the movies seems a lot less conducive to tons of sets like SW, just because there’s a lot of time spent in  locations where sets aren’t super feasible (either due to a lack of playability, the actual source material, like the tanks in Last Crusade, or spending a lot of time in one location that doesn’t require multiple sets, like the Temple of Doom).  If you go through the movies, there’s probably 3-5 vehicles or locations each that are definitely going to make good sets, and then you start getting into things that either have very little screen time, or aren’t super realistic as sets.  

If they didn’t do ANY remakes for this wave, I honestly don’t know what they could even do.  The Grail temple is the only one that sticks out as something that would both work well as a set and wasn’t made in the first one.  I think the bridge fight in ToD would be a good option.  Then I guess the plane from the intro of ToD?  The map room?  The circus train?  Something from Castle Brunwald?  Anyway, point being, I feel like most of the sets that they chose were stronger options than pretty much all of those except the Grail temple (which technically could still be that large set).

While I think the collector market is there for Indy (as evidenced by the eBay prices of almost *anything* Indy, not just LEGO), I’m not sure it’s on the level of SW where you could pretty much pump out a set or action figure of anything and people would buy it.

Because of the nature of the movies this theme doesn't have alot of longevity and while I'm not fond of the D2C type sets I think they could work for this theme.A large expensive remake of 7623 would be great in my opinion.

Just checked the online lego shop to see if the remaining sets for avatar were added.They did and so did the prices and damn are they expensive,makes me wonder what will be the final prices for the indy sets.

Edited by LOTR34

Looking forward to see the pictures of the new Indy sets. I hope, this theme will stay around longer than the last time LEGO made Indiana Jones sets... :classic:

20 minutes ago, klokriecher said:

Looking forward to see the pictures of the new Indy sets. I hope, this theme will stay around longer than the last time LEGO made Indiana Jones sets... :classic:

I see you are a new member,so welcome to eurobricks!

If this theme is meant to outlive 2023 then that means it will last (at the very least) 3 years and if it surpasses legos expectations sales wise then it might last even longer.

The current harry potter line was meant to last 3 years yet because of it's popularity it's life has been prolonged.

Edited by LOTR34

Honestly I’m happy they are remaking the older sets, and I hope they make new ones on other scenes. Even though these sets are remakes, I doubt they will be remade again like Star Wars sets. It would be cool if they decided to keep the theme alive for a while, to use content from the young Indy show.

35 minutes ago, ChiefPie said:

Honestly I’m happy they are remaking the older sets, and I hope they make new ones on other scenes. Even though these sets are remakes, I doubt they will be remade again like Star Wars sets. It would be cool if they decided to keep the theme alive for a while, to use content from the young Indy show.

Unless disney reboots the show there won't be any sets so don't get your hopes up.

1 hour ago, LOTR34 said:

Unless disney reboots the show there won't be any sets so don't get your hopes up.

Obviously.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:05 AM, LOTR34 said:

I'm just tired of remakes that is all :hmpf_bad: and while I think that they have their place in a long running theme or a returning one they should be few and far between.Which is a contrast to how things are now with the overabundance of remakes from various themes.

I mean, remakes aren’t inherently bad. In this case in particular, it’s been like 13+ years since we last had Indiana Jones sets on shelves. Versus some other themes that remake stuff every few years, I think remakes are entirely acceptable in this instance. Those original Indy sets go for crazy amounts now anyway and it makes sense for Lego to tackle a lot of the iconic scenes right out of the gate and if the theme lasts a while, then we can expect sets that were never made for the original line.

Besides, a good remake improves upon the original or at least does something that sets it apart. And from the three remakes we know about, we know that they’re not only going to likely look better as modern builds, they’re also still going to be changing things up. Doing things like making more Indy variants, finally including characters like Sallah and substituting things from the original sets (replacing the Joneses’ plane with the car they steal in The Last Crusade set) are all examples of that.

41 minutes ago, The Stud said:

I mean, remakes aren’t inherently bad. In this case in particular, it’s been like 13+ years since we last had Indiana Jones sets on shelves. Versus some other themes that remake stuff every few years, I think remakes are entirely acceptable in this instance. Those original Indy sets go for crazy amounts now anyway and it makes sense for Lego to tackle a lot of the iconic scenes right out of the gate and if the theme lasts a while, then we can expect sets that were never made for the original line.

Besides, a good remake improves upon the original or at least does something that sets it apart. And from the three remakes we know about, we know that they’re not only going to likely look better as modern builds, they’re also still going to be changing things up. Doing things like making more Indy variants, finally including characters like Sallah and substituting things from the original sets (replacing the Joneses’ plane with the car they steal in The Last Crusade set) are all examples of that.

I generally agree with your stance but what I meant to say earlier is that I wish that Lego started off with more original sets and then resort to remakes.

We don't know if this theme will outlive 2023 so there's no guarantee for more sets original or not.

And I'm not against remakes on their basis, for example I never bought the original ark tomb so I welcome the remake. 

It's just the saturation of remakes that Lego does in general that I find tiresome. 

On 7/25/2022 at 6:10 PM, Pulp Detective said:

I generally agree with your stance but what I meant to say earlier is that I wish that Lego started off with more original sets and then resort to remakes.

We don't know if this theme will outlive 2023 so there's no guarantee for more sets original or not.

And I'm not against remakes on their basis, for example I never bought the original ark tomb so I welcome the remake. 

It's just the saturation of remakes that Lego does in general that I find tiresome. 

Oh, I think they did a smart job of targeting the sets that really needed the most improving and updating.  Most of the Indy sets still look superb and fairly up to date, even after 14 years, like the Jungle Cutter and the Peruvian Plane especially, and the Desert Chase, and the Shanghai Chase, and the Venice Chase, etc...

But the Well of Souls was way too simplistic, and needed to be amped up a lot.  The Temple of Doom needs more accuracy around the ceremonial platform.  The German plane needs a closed cockpit and smoother wings.  And the Crystal Skull Temple (if that's the $150 set) was way too jumbly and childish.  That's why I was saying they should redesign it to be more like an Architecture set.  Plus, the set should include the Jungle Cutter with the temple as a side vehicle, to make the set more popular, then that could be the last set for Movie IV they ever make!

Then in the near future, I can imagine we will first get a $200+ remake of the Fertility Temple in Peru (Indy's iconic intro to the world), and then a $200+ model of the facade of the Grail Temple (the capstone of the original trilogy).  It'll be the first time they've done that locale, and they can just do a great Architecture style set of the exterior, which we all know is a real Nabatean Tomb at Petra, if they want to avoid too much overt religious imagery in a Lego set.  Two easy hits!  If they sell strongly, then obviously Lego will design more and more every year... 

OK, and so when are these being released...?  I'm sure they've been boxed up stacked up and ready to go out the door for months, but just delayed, because Movie V was delayed a full year by the pandemic.  It's just a few days until August now, so is this first wave of four due out on the first of September?  Five weeks away?

That means they should be officially revealed almost any day now.....

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

37 minutes ago, The Real Indiana Jones said:

OK, and so when are these being released...?  I'm sure they've been boxed up stacked up and ready to go out the door for months, but just delayed, because Movie V was delayed a year by the pandemic.  It's just a few days until August now, so is this first wave of four due out on the first of September?  Five weeks away?

That means they should be officially revealed almost any day now.....

My speculation is January, at least for the first wave.The 2nd wave will drop probably in April,since the movie comes out in June and usually movie based waves release 2 months in advance.