Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - General Discussion

5 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

OK - I was not exactly sure what I could and could not do to prepare for a mission. Thank you for letting me know. 👍
BTW, is it acceptable to make a habit of gathering information in the Library prior to quests, or would it be better to ask these questions in the actual mission thread? 

It's certainly preferable to ask in mission, as that allows all the players to involve themselves in the process and ask questions of their own. Remember, this is something you're expected to do as a group, going off and making plans by yourself beforehand amounts to shutting the other players out of decision-making. That's not really something people enjoy.

9 hours ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

I am really interested in joining, however honestly I have never played any kind of RPG, like D&D and the likes, ever before. So I am seeing a LOT of information and feel a little bit overwhelmed looking at this but also I'd love to dive in and learn.

I'll start reading the Rules and FAQ for now :laugh:

Welcome. :classic: The Rules & FAQ are all you really need to join, the Library and Embassy topics are more for if you want to learn more about the world. Since this is a collaborative RPG, the intention is usually to allow players and Mission Masters (the ones running the game) as much creative liberty as possible, thus we strive to incorporate (where reasonable) any character backgrounds/species/history and just add it to the collective narrative. Looking at your character's stats, everything looks good and I've got to say that figure is awesome! Feel free to signup for Missions when they are available and always feel free to ask any questions you have here.

5 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

OK - I was not exactly sure what I could and could not do to prepare for a mission. Thank you for letting me know. 👍
BTW, is it acceptable to make a habit of gathering information in the Library prior to quests, or would it be better to ask these questions in the actual mission thread? 

Depends on what information you're looking for. The Library (as it currently stands) has a general scope of knowledge available, once you start getting into specifics though (like certain train schematics) or non-public information (Hart-LRTS connections), you'll be better served asking NPC's on the mission itself. Of course over time, as people contribute information from past quests or their own world building to the library the collection will grow. Remember, the majority of the Library is from Laserie's personal collection so it's unlikely she'd have a ton of specific write-ups on everything. You're always free to ask though and doing some mission prep isn't a bad thing at all.

8 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

@KotZ: What range is Varen's rifle? 

Oh shoot forgot that part. It's a rifle. Would that be considered long range or short range?

6 minutes ago, KotZ said:

Oh shoot forgot that part. It's a rifle. Would that be considered long range or short range?

Technically, it can be whatever range you choose, but Long Range (3 squares) or Artillery (4 squares) would make the most sense. Choosing either of these would render your Short Range Weapons proficiency unusable for this mission, however, since you cannot respec mid-quest (though @Waterbrick Down may allow an exception, since the game and mission only just started). 😕

BTW, you should also have a link to your character's Registry post in your signature: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/185707-heroica-glory-amongst-the-stars-hero-statistical-registry/&do=findComment&comment=3416950 

3 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Technically, it can be whatever range you choose, but Long Range (3 squares) or Artillery (4 squares) would make the most sense. Choosing either of these would render your Short Range Weapons proficiency unusable for this mission, however, since you cannot respec mid-quest (though @Waterbrick Down may allow an exception, since the game and mission only just started). 😕

I guess it's an SBR then haha and leave it to WBD to decide if that's ok.

9 minutes ago, KotZ said:

I guess it's an SBR then haha and leave it to WBD to decide if that's ok.

I'm OK if you want to respec your weapon proficiency to match your weapon range, just let me know what you decide to have.

@KotZ I'd recommend Long Range or Artillery on the grounds that the other two ranges are covered by your allies. It's metagame stuff, but frankly metagaming is impossible to avoid anyway.

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

I'm OK if you want to respec your weapon proficiency to match your weapon range, just let me know what you decide to have.

Yeah, I'll do long range and such then. Sorry about the confusion.

Valesia reminds me of the mother character from 'The Mitchells vs. the Machines'. I bet she has some self-stitched cloth flowers on her bag as well :grin:.

32 minutes ago, Khorne said:

Valesia reminds me of the mother character from 'The Mitchells vs. the Machines'. I bet she has some self-stitched cloth flowers on her bag as well :grin:.

How did you know?:laugh:

On 6/21/2021 at 6:10 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

Welcome. :classic: The Rules & FAQ are all you really need to join, the Library and Embassy topics are more for if you want to learn more about the world. Since this is a collaborative RPG, the intention is usually to allow players and Mission Masters (the ones running the game) as much creative liberty as possible, thus we strive to incorporate (where reasonable) any character backgrounds/species/history and just add it to the collective narrative. Looking at your character's stats, everything looks good and I've got to say that figure is awesome! Feel free to signup for Missions when they are available and always feel free to ask any questions you have here.

Thank you, I figure I'll focus Bers on basic combat-capable. For two reasons. One being new to this and not really sure of how to play things out. Going as simple with the character/build als possible and mainly observing and learning from other players as I am not used to role-playing is my main intention currently. I'd like to ask if I make too poorly of a choice here that I might be notified, as I still feel a bit overwhelmed and unsure of myself haha.

Secondly, the character backstory wise is ment to be an old combat design machine, perhaps it was made specifically to fight in the five-year war, or just made to fight wars :shrug_oh_well: Which is also why aside from combat skills/focus I like the idea of a skill such as intimidation playing a part heh

Actually as a third reason, I also intentionally don't want to be the diplomatic, charismatic, chatty character type, and have Bers be a bit 'simple' in the dialogue department, because of the language barrier. Although I have always been decent at English and had pretty high grades at school, I don't think I'm good enough at it to write expansive and interesting dialogue. I also find myself often editing my own posts due to grammar or spelling errors that I catch afterwards :tongue:

Edit* I guess I am going for the sci-fi equivalent of a simple brutish barbarian type haha

Edited by Dutch Thriceman

8 hours ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

Thank you, I figure I'll focus Bers on basic combat-capable. For two reasons. One being new to this and not really sure of how to play things out. Going as simple with the character/build als possible and mainly observing and learning from other players as I am not used to role-playing is my main intention currently. I'd like to ask if I make too poorly of a choice here that I might be notified, as I still feel a bit overwhelmed and unsure of myself haha.

No problem at all. The first iteration of Heroica was my first roleplaying experience 10 years ago, so we've all been there at one point or another. Everyone here will be super willing to help give any pointers whether its for mechanics or roleplaying. :classic:

Secondly, the character backstory wise is ment to be an old combat design machine, perhaps it was made specifically to fight in the five-year war, or just made to fight wars :shrug_oh_well: Which is also why aside from combat skills/focus I like the idea of a skill such as intimidation playing a part heh

The gritty war veteran is a tried and true archetype, Bers will fit in just fine.

Actually as a third reason, I also intentionally don't want to be the diplomatic, charismatic, chatty character type, and have Bers be a bit 'simple' in the dialogue department, because of the language barrier. Although I have always been decent at English and had pretty high grades at school, I don't think I'm good enough at it to write expansive and interesting dialogue. I also find myself often editing my own posts due to grammar or spelling errors that I catch afterwards :tongue:

Edit* I guess I am going for the sci-fi equivalent of a simple brutish barbarian type haha

Quite understandable, EB is a melting pot of folks from all over the world, so you'll be in good and understanding company. Strong and silent types always make for interesting characters for the other more chatty types to play off, so you're good.

11 hours ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

My only experience with role playing games before this game was with video games. And like @Waterbrick Down mention a lot of us started here first. 

Well I am no expert but maybe come up with a reason or a way "he" got out of the gladiator fighting. (That is what it is sounds to me any way.)  

For your English "skills", I feel like I suck at it and I am a native speaker, especially with the spelling. The only advice is to proofread your stuff before you hit the submit button. Sometimes I forget and still need to fix stuff. 

36 minutes ago, Khorne said:

Felix raised an eyebrow and used his insight to see if Molly's words perhaps indicated a special bond between her and the Thudaal. As honestly as he could, he replied: "I will. I promise, Agent Molly."

The Chimeran nodded in appreciation. "We will not fail you."

First roll of the game, woot, woot!

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

First roll of the game, woot, woot!

And they all failed miserably :cry_sad: . At least I tried..

20 minutes ago, Duvors said:

@Kintobor I see our earlier conversation has borne fruit. :tongue:

Reminds me of this comic :laugh::

Spoiler

E2Qc8MQVkAAFQn9.png

E2Qc8MRVkAMJ-Ri.png

I am backing up my "gun show" comment with my plus one to Athletics. :tongue:

16 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

MM Note: Just waiting to see if @Classic_Spaceman wanted to do anything before continuing.

Thank you for waiting - I have not had anything resembling a normal sleep-schedule since COVID began! 😬

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Thank you for waiting - I have not had anything resembling a normal sleep-schedule since COVID began! 😬

I hear that, I started working a job that requires non standard working hours (early morning shifts, late evening shifts And night shifts) at the same time as the covid period began and the combination of those two factors completey destroyed my sleep-schedule, it took a good few months (I tried to reset myself as best I could, despite still working irregular hours) to get back into a somewhat healthy schedule.

8 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Felix Survival Check (DC 1, 3): 4, 5, 4, 3 (3 Success, 1 Failures)

Polaris Nature Check (DC 1, 3): 3, 4, 3, 1 (1 Success, 3 Failures)

Not sure this is the proper thread for this. But could I get a better (or more) explanation on the "checks" in general. 

10 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

Not sure this is the proper thread for this. But could I get a better (or more) explanation on the "checks" in general. 

Rules and FAQ is maybe a better topic for future note, but I don't mind answering here. Successes and Failures are always a 50/50 chance. I'm using a six sided die to determine the outcomes so Failures = 1, 2, and 3's. Successes = 4, 5, 6's. A Difficulty Check (DC) success ranges from 1 (Simple Task) to 7 (Impossible Task). Some tasks have multiple tiers of success. So if you get 1 success you get some information, if you get maybe 3 successes you get a lot more detailed information. The quoted instances given are examples of this tiered DC. For Felix's survival check if he had only gotten 1 success he would have only seen some tracks leading around the building since they were so regular and consistent. Since he got 3 success he was also able to determine there was a recent set of tracks entering the building and another set of six legged tracks hopping around the side of the building.

On 6/24/2021 at 7:45 PM, samurai-turtle said:

My only experience with role playing games before this game was with video games. And like @Waterbrick Down mention a lot of us started here first. 

Well I am no expert but maybe come up with a reason or a way "he" got out of the gladiator fighting. (That is what it is sounds to me any way.)  

For your English "skills", I feel like I suck at it and I am a native speaker, especially with the spelling. The only advice is to proofread your stuff before you hit the submit button. Sometimes I forget and still need to fix stuff. 

Ah I missed this, hmm I didn't consider Gladiator Fighting actually to be honest, but Bers could've definitely been used for that yes. The key point of the character and interesting juxtaposition (gosh I hope I'm using that word correctly haha) I wanted to give him is that on one side he only just awakened as an adamite / conscious individual, giving him a sort of fresh childlike look to the world but on the other side is a dangerous robot originally built to absolutely eviscerate things.

So Bers is simultaneously this sort of innocent puppy and this horrible murdering deathbot.

I just thought that'd be an interesting concept to play out when I was creating the character. As for his backstory, I figured his creator(s) made him orginally to eradicate their enemies, a warmachine built to fight in some conflict basically. But then one of the creators or a third party decide to free and awaken Bers. "The scientist Periklis Prometheoi discovered a method by which one could use Ætherspace’s ‘livecode’ to give an artificial being sentience - a true soul." interpreting this bit of lore, since a machine isn't so much born with a soul as it is given one, I figured it is definitely a possibility for this to happen in-universe.

Oh yeah, I think my spelling of words is usually okay and I check a lot, I just won't be abe to structure sentences as well as a native-english speaker I think.

Edit* just to add to that / clarify. I have thought about and worked out his backstory and certain details a bit more but we don't want to give everything of our characters away, right :grin:

Edited by Dutch Thriceman