Murdoch17

Hogsmeade Railway Station MOC - based on HP concept art and the later films

51137455220_cd8b26db63_z.jpg

It's a rainy and cold evening in Scotland, and you are on the Hogwarts Express as a first year student. You have noted other students have changed from street-clothes into the black robes with the crest of your destination on the front: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You do the same, and then notice the train slowing down, and finally coming to a stop at a small station marked "HOGSMEADE" on a wooden platform sign. You don't want to get too wet in your nice new robes, and feel a bit lost in the hustle and bustle of older students departing and railway staff getting luggage off the train and onto the platform. You spot your trunk on the platform and detrain. It's raining less hard now, and a slightly portly-looking, very tall man in a beard and fur-lined coat comes down the platform shouting above the steam engine's noise; "First years with me!" He leads you and about dozen other 11-year old's away from the nice and neat (and warm!) station down to a series of boats on the water's edge of a huge lake not far from the train. He leads each student into the boat, and then boards the lead boat himself. He taps the oarlock of his boat with his umbrella, and all the boats move away in sync by themselves. You are then astounded to see a huge castle, perched on rocky cliffs on the other side of the lake, lit up by hundreds of candles under the moonlight of the clearing sky.

The man then shouts out to everyone assembled in the tiny boats; "Welcome to Hogwarts!"

(small note: This movie concept art was taken from the Harry Potter wiki sometime in 2015. It is NOT mine.)

53634049275_05749fe170_z.jpg

I have converted and combined this Hogsmeade Station from two different versions found on Rebrickable, and made it my own using pictures and guesswork. This design is supposed to go well with set 76388 - Hogsmeade Visit - (or my Winter Village MOCs) but of course, in the official Harry Potter canon it's on the other side of the lake from Hogsmeade proper. (But I don't listen to canon!)

53633605231_43aa3ef90b_z.jpg

The entrance to the employees-only ticket counter area is on the side furthest to the camera, while the nearest door is to the passenger waiting room.

53633944264_cb7f90814f_z.jpg

The model has two rooms under the removable roof, featuring seating from the Disney train set. One one side is the ticket office, with a cash register / ticket window and a sorting desk for tickets / packages. The other is the waiting room with a few bench seats w/ individual arms and a bulletin board.

53655951634_b861486f6b_z.jpg

Starting amount of parts: 1,185
Parts found so far: 657
Parts still to find: 528

Over half of the parts have been found so far. (I've also started taking apart my Disney-inspired station for it's pieces, so that has made a dent in this project, with more to come as I start on the ground floor of that older MOC.)

EDIT 4/15/24: Sorry for the REALLY late update, but I've finally gotten started on building this in real bricks! (only took three years, but whose counting?) It should be finished sooner rather than later.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, and complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

Nice building, but...

[Just a little joke] ... what's the sense of having a waiting room for a train that depart from Hogsmeade only two times a year? I suppose the train would be already on the platform and no one would have to wait :snicker:

Returnig serious...

Maybe I would make more pointed and slender the roof at the ends (left and right), like you can see in this image 

51gCpO4cY0L.jpg

I reckon the steeper roof is a good idea. Plates may be easier, like in the upcoming Hogsmeade set, to give the suggestion of snow. It wouldn't be impossible with sloped bricks though. 

For the interior, how about a lost property or luggage area? 

On 4/26/2021 at 7:05 AM, BrickMatit said:

Nice building, but...

[Just a little joke] ... what's the sense of having a waiting room for a train that depart from Hogsmeade only two times a year? I suppose the train would be already on the platform and no one would have to wait :snicker:

Returnig serious...

Maybe I would make more pointed and slender the roof at the ends (left and right), like you can see in this image 

SNIP

On 4/26/2021 at 1:23 PM, Seaber said:

I reckon the steeper roof is a good idea. Plates may be easier, like in the upcoming Hogsmeade set, to give the suggestion of snow. It wouldn't be impossible with sloped bricks though. 

For the interior, how about a lost property or luggage area? 

To answer both @BrickMatit @Seaber at once, the station has a waiting room because in my head-canon it ISN'T serviced by just Hogwarts Express.

51143549112_e8d6846f72_z.jpg

Lady, the magenta engine from the Island of Sodor / the 2000 Magic Railroad film, can pull into Hogsmeade, as her magic lets her travel there from her own time / place either normally, or through the magic railroad. The engine pulls two coaches these days, based on my interpretation of Henrietta. (as usually pulled by toby the tram engine) Lady has a schedule to keep, and services the Hogsmeade station once a week at a regular time, around Noon on Wednesdays.

As for the ideas for the roof, it's hard to do a plate roof in LDD, due to the angle tool being kind of bad at it's job... it's just way easier to do it this way.

Edited by Murdoch17

4 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

the station has a waiting room because in my head-canon it ISN'T serviced by just Hogwarts Express

I really like hearing (or reading) how everyone shapes his own Harry Potter canon. :wink:.

I have never heard about Magic Railroad film until now, but your add seems so interesting to me.

Hope to see your Hogsmeade station after August :thumbup:

51136540638_ce2ae61dde_z.jpg

The old version...

51400374503_e187e739bc_z.jpg

versus new version, now uploaded into the first post! (updated text has also been added)

Thoughts?

Edited by Murdoch17

I find the new station a good improvement of the older one.

Gray, and not black, roofs look really better, in my opinion. And I like the new idea for the clock on the track side.

A pity having to wait "someday" to see your project in real bricks... :snicker:

... but, hey, your other buildings look good too!

I'm Begging you to Release Instructions for the Second Model.

It's so Good!It would fit in Really Well among the Other Hogsmeade Sets.

10 hours ago, Scuhro52 said:

I'm Begging you to Release Instructions for the Second Model.

It's so Good!It would fit in Really Well among the Other Hogsmeade Sets.

Ask and you shall receive @Scuhro52! Just uploaded the LDD file for the building: It's not instructions, but it's all I have... it's available on Bricksafe here.

Posted (edited)

Main post edited 4/15/24:

Sorry for the REALLY late update, but I've finally gotten started on building this in real bricks! (only took three years, but whose counting?) Sadly, I wasn't too sure on the plate roof and if it would attach properly, so it was revised into brick slopes again. Sorry for everyone who liked that more!

51400374503_e187e739bc_z.jpg

Compare the old...

53634049275_05749fe170_z.jpg

..to the new!

Over half of the parts have been found so far for the newer station. I've also started taking apart my Disney-inspired station for it's pieces, so that has made a dent in this project, with more to come as I start on the ground floor of that older MOC. It should be finished in real life sooner rather than later, with real world pictures of it and my Hogwarts Express coming shortly there afterwards.

Also, apologies to the mods for the three-year topic bump.

Edited by Murdoch17