Sign in to follow this  
ScotNick

Custom train parts for Stud.io

Hey guys!

I have made some custom parts for Stud.io which I wanted to share with you!

First of all I added the connectivity to the files of the Big Ben Bricks drivers. In addition I used them as a basis to make part files for the #13 (XXL) drivers as well as thin train wheels in sizes #6, #7 and #9 (MS, M and L using the old naming convention).

51116827577_17d151a23c_b.jpgcustom drivers for Studio by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Also I created parts for the windows which are in develoment by Fx Bricks:

51117192119_c94f9b5681_b.jpgFx Bricks train windows for Studio by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Here are the links for downloading the files:

Train Wheels

Train Windows

Best is to download the whole folder as a package.
I also included a text file with instructions how to add the parts to your custom parts library.

Keep in mind that some of the dimensions might not be 100% correct, but they are pretty close and have always worked out for me so far

While I didn't have any problems rendering the wheels I did run into problems rendering the glass panes of the Fx Bricks windows in trans-clear.

Let me know if you run into any problems or struggle with adding the parts!

Hope this will be helpful to you!

Cheers, Nick

Edited by ScotNick
Updated download link for custom parts package

Great work! Thanks, I will probably make good use of it and many others too :).

Thanks so much for doing this and making the files available!

I am running Studio 2.0 on a Mac and had to jump through a couple of hoops with PartDesigner to get everything synced up, but the wheels look great. There may be other ways to do this, but here is what worked for me:

EDIT (4/16/21): This approach works, but I poked around some more and found an easier method, described in my post below. I am leaving this one here, since it works, but suggest using the new one, since it is much quicker.

1. Go to ".../Applications/Studio 2.0/ldraw".
  2. Copy the files from the downloaded "collider" subfolder into the ".../Applications/Studio 2.0/ldraw/collider" subfolder.
  3. Copy the files from the downloaded "connectivity" subfolder into the ".../Applications/Studio 2.0/ldraw/connectivity" subfolder.
  4. In PartDesigner, open one of the .dat files from the downloaded "parts" subfolder. It may ask if you want to import the related connectivity data -- choose yes.
  5. Choose "Export to Studio" and save the file.
  6. Repeat Steps 4-5 for each part you want to import.
  7. The parts should now be available in Studio under the Custom Parts pallet.

Again, this is what worked for me. It may be user error, but if I simply copied the downloaded parts data into an "ldraw/Custom Parts/Parts" subfolder, I could see the parts in Studio, but they were not synced with the associated connectivity data. If anyone knows how to directly copy the files or to batch import them through PartDesigner, please jump in.

Hope this helps, and thanks again to @ScotNick for doing the work on this.

Edited by CMF-1138

3 hours ago, JopieK said:

Great work! Thanks, I will probably make good use of it and many others too :).

Thank you, always happy to help the Lego train community!

1 hour ago, CMF-1138 said:

Thanks so much for doing this and making the files available!

I am running Studio 2.0 on a Mac and had to jump through a couple of hoops with PartDesigner to get everything synced up, but the wheels look great. There may be other ways to do this, but here is what worked for me:

1. Go to ".../Applications/Studio 2.0/ldraw".
  2. Copy the files from the downloaded "collider" subfolder into the ".../Applications/Studio 2.0/ldraw/collider" subfolder.
  3. Copy the files from the downloaded "connectivity" subfolder into the ".../Applications/Studio 2.0/ldraw/connectivity" subfolder.
  4. In PartDesigner, open one of the .dat files from the downloaded "parts" subfolder. It may ask if you want to import the related connectivity data -- choose yes.
  5. Choose "Export to Studio" and save the file.
  6. Repeat Steps 4-5 for each part you want to import.
  7. The parts should now be available in Studio under the Custom Parts pallet.

Again, this is what worked for me. It may be user error, but if I simply copied the downloaded parts data into an "ldraw/Custom Parts/Parts" subfolder, I could see the parts in Studio, but they were not synced with the associated connectivity data. If anyone knows how to directly copy the files or to batch import them through PartDesigner, please jump in.

Hope this helps, and thanks again to @ScotNick for doing the work on this.

Thanks @CMF-1138 for the input! I did change the instructions accordingly using some of your wording, hope this is ok!

Also included the differences for Windows and Mac.

Cheers, Nick

Edited by ScotNick

1 hour ago, ScotNick said:

Thanks @CMF-1138 for the input! I did change the instructions accordingly using some of your wording, hope this is ok!

Also included the differences for Windows and Mac.

OK by me, although I should note that I am relatively new to using Studio, so there may well be a better/easier way. I sent you a PM with some suggested edits for the Read Me.

Updating this for the Mac users out there. My workaround solution seemed a bit kludgy, so I poked around some more and found that Studio stores the custom part data in a hidden folder. Here is how you can access that folder and copy the data directly, rather than having to go through PartDesigner. 

1. From the Finder, select Go -> Go To Folder (Command+Shift+G)
  2. Type in "/Users/YOUR_USERNAME/.local/share/Stud.io/CustomParts"
  3. Copy the files from the downloaded "parts" subfolder into the ".../CustomParts/parts" subfolder.
  4. Copy the files from the downloaded "collider" subfolder into the ".../CustomParts/collider" subfolder.
  5. Copy the files from the downloaded "connectivity" subfolder into the ".../CustomParts/connectivity" subfolder.

Hope this is helpful.

Last Year I created some Customparts, i.e rods for steamlocomotves. They exist as stl files. The Question is: Which steps are to make in order to import this parts into Stud.io?

Thanks @ScotNick - these will be really helpful in the future when I get round to building a UP FEF class locomotive, which uses 80 inch wheels IRL, so BBB XXL or size 13.  

Also, is anyone aware of anywhere I can find Stud.io parts for ball bearing wheel sets?

cant wait to make the aurora from metro exodos with some of these wheels

Edited by Alex I-285