Jim

[SURVEY] TLG Technic Team needs your input

3 hours ago, brolansys BLS 21 said:

For instance would it have been better (and cheaper for consumers) for the LEGO Technic group to have come up with their own original tiltrotor/tiltwing VTOL aircraft 

TLG did that and received a cease and desist letter from as well as some legal problem with Boeing, as the latter claimed that because the Osprey is the only tiltrotor aircraft in use today any tiltrotor can be associated with it and hence infringe Boeing's interests related to it, or something along that line.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:14 AM, eric trax said:

I do not understand that the TECHNIC department is ignoring agricultural machinery. I know that there have been several sets on this subject over the years. The topic is very extensive and grateful. Lots of interesting mechanisms that are eye-catching. Hiding a large HUB in a combine or forage harvester is no problem. This is something that can be a flagship without any complexes. But we still get cars and construction machines. Over and over...

We need a space shuttle like a 8480. Once upon a time, the technic was filled with much more diverse ideas.

I skip the smaller models because other vehicles or machines appear there more often. However, it is a less risky market.

+1

LEGO had released some tilt rotor type aircraft sets in their Creator and CITY themes long before they did the Technic Osprey. 

8 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

LEGO had released some tilt rotor type aircraft sets in their Creator and CITY themes long before they did the Technic Osprey. 

That's why I voted for cancelling those licensed sets at all!

With licensed sets we get lots of limits: higher price, no B-model, no extra functions etc!

32 minutes ago, Parazels said:

With licensed sets we get lots of limits: higher price, no B-model, no extra functions etc!

That's not quite true. Licensed sets also have B-models, if they're the right size (42103). And until recently, larger licensed sets also had alternates and an array of functions. The B-model problem affects all large sets now - I highly doubt any of this year's 2H sets will have anything on the back of the box. License or no.

29 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

That's not quite true. Licensed sets also have B-models, if they're the right size (42103).

As an exception of the rule!

Remember, 30 years ago ALL Lego sets (even $10 sets!) had B-models!

Among my wishlist, I have put in the feedback and improvement section "PLEASE solve the coloring problems recently encountered on sets like the Lamborghini Sian !! Official Lego sets are expensive, and so they deserve to be perfect on the aesthetic side."

Hard to be optimitic on this point, but who knows...

9 minutes ago, Parazels said:

As an exception of the rule!

Remember, 30 years ago ALL Lego sets (even $10 sets!) had B-models!

I'm not clear on the point you're trying to make. These days it seems only the small sets have B-models, the larger ones don't. Irrespective of licensing.

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'm not clear on the point you're trying to make. These days it seems only the small sets have B-models, the larger ones don't. Irrespective of licensing.

Licensed sets were first, which dropped B-models. Later it became a "normal" practice in other sets.

Let's ask Lego to get B-models back.

Edited by Parazels

In the past there have been plenty of licensed sets with B-models, 42030, 42043, 42053, 42063, 42078 and 42081 at least. 8110 and 42054 didn't have a B-model but I understand they came with instructions to build many kinds of implements which sort of compensates. Except for the UCS cars the dropping of B-models trend only seemed to really start in 2019 with the Land Rover/Porsche and PU sets and since then we've had much less of them. Last year even sets like the Cement Mixer and Mobile Crane had no B-model, even though as a mid-size non-motorized sets they should be prime examples of the possibilities for a B-model.

15 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Last year even sets like the Cement Mixer and Mobile Crane had no B-model, even though as a mid-size non-motorized sets they should be prime examples of the possibilities for a B-model.

I never got why they don't have B-models, and there's no reason for them not to. Supercars and experimental motorized sets aside, it was 42108 that worried the hell out of me. It hasn't set a good precedent.

Edited by Maaboo35

6 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

I never got why they don't have B-models, and there's no reason for them not to. Supercars and experimental motorized sets aside, it was 42108 that worried the hell out of me. It hasn't set a good precedent.

Yeah, even the Cement Mixer has the (very thin) excuse of having the drum part which is hard to reuse, but there's absolutely no reason for 42108 to have no B-model.