Sign in to follow this  
Spud The Viking

[COR - FB] Joshua Farm and Tea Plantation

Large Plantation in Spudkirk.

(Farmhouse: 68x68; Tea Plantation: 50x50. Total = 7214 studs)

50936069057_d56775cb4d_c.jpg

This is Joshua Farm, the family home of Commander Graham Joshua. His family moved out of Corrington when other landlords began raising rents. Here in Spudkirk, there is no fear of rents or bickering politicians, the family live in relative peace atop the plateau of the settlement. The main house it built of thick stone, similar to their previous farmhouse back in the motherland.

The temperatures are warmer, and the soil more fertile. The Joshua family lead a prosperous and content life.

50935951286_cc18a26858_c.jpg

The farm used to grow only subsistence crops for the settlement, but with the settlement of Wullham relatively close, there is plenty of food coming through the bustling harbour in Spudkirk. Looking for an alternative, the Joshua family came into contact with a group of foreigners. Even though they speak the language, these fellows are rather quiet but offered the family a large quantity of tea plants. Now, the Joshua family are upright and moral, but when such a commercial opportunity arises - it is often better to ask fewer questions, and get down to shaking hands!

So, these foreign men agreed to grow tea on the farm, they insisted on doing it themselves to ensure secrecy of the plant. Their pay is high and they take a portion of the income from selling the tea, but it has been very lucrative for the Joshua family. Who knows, maybe tea will be a staple good of Spudkirk in the future?

50936082607_fb3ceb5441_c.jpg

50936082032_98c5f97159_c.jpg

One of the daughters of the family having tea and biscuits with a cavalry soldier from the Spudkirk barracks. The water boils in a kettle over the fire, and a fine tea set was brought to enjoy this cuppa.

He is a fine fellow, but he takes his tea too milky, which is a clear sign of weakness of character and heart - he is a cavalry man after all, so it is to be expected.

50935276918_8ca3d78a9a_c.jpg

One of the workers carrying water through the fields of tea. 

Spoiler

Link to Flickr photos.

The first plantation in Spudkirk, and perhaps the first tea plantation in BotBS if I am not mistaken.

I had the farmhouse build finished for some time, but it was not enough studs to warrant a large plantation. I was going to have a vegetable field, but remembered I had bough the two plant parts seen from a PAB wall a long time ago. I ended up using pretty much all of green parts in my collection as this is the biggest MOC I have ever made.

Tea was a key part of the imperial world in the past, and I have been learning about it in one of my university courses. I figured I would use it for inspiration. 

Edited by Spud The Viking

Been looking forward to you posting this one! The buildings look great, and the tea plants are wonderful!

Do you have higher-res photo links available? Would love to check out the details more closely

Nice shout out to Wullham!

Edited by evancelt

7 minutes ago, evancelt said:

Been looking forward to you posting this one! The buildings look great, and the tea plants are wonderful!

Do you have higher-res photo links available?

Thank you!

Good reminder, I'll edit the spoiler tag to have the Flickr link!

I like the farmhouse and the plantation. Both are beautiful and built with lots of details. The fire pit next to the pond is a good idea. Thanks for the Flickr link, I like to look at bigger photos.

Thanks for posting the hi-def pic links. How did you make the windows on the right building? They look great!

wonderful build!

He is a fine fellow, but he takes his tea too milky, which is a clear sign of weakness of character and heart - he is a cavalry man after all, so it is to be expected.

:thumbup::pir_laugh2:

Edited by Brickwolf

1 hour ago, evancelt said:

Thanks for posting the hi-def pic links. How did you make the windows on the right building? They look great!

No worries! Here is a very quick setup of the windows.

Spoiler

50936390758_c317c7befd_w.jpg

As you can see, it doesn't quite fit. There's also trans-clear bricks holding the window in place behind at an offset, allowing the pane to recess half a stud.

I also lit the house from the back with a lamp.

20 minutes ago, Brickwolf said:

wonderful build!

:thumbup::pir_laugh2:

Thanks!

5 hours ago, NOD said:

I like the farmhouse and the plantation. Both are beautiful and built with lots of details. The fire pit next to the pond is a good idea. Thanks for the Flickr link, I like to look at bigger photos.

Thank you! And yes, I also like larger photos to zoom in on other people's work!

1 minute ago, Spud The Viking said:

Here is a very quick setup of the windows.

Thanks! I'm going to give that technique a try. With it not quite fitting, do you need trans bricks holding it in place? Seems like it is so tight it might hold itself in place - will play around with it!

This is a wonderful Moc. Very beautiful, with distinct segments that join together without even a visible seam. 

Fantastic Work! 

13 hours ago, evancelt said:

Thanks! I'm going to give that technique a try. With it not quite fitting, do you need trans bricks holding it in place? Seems like it is so tight it might hold itself in place - will play around with it!

The bricks don't interfere, they sit behind. Let me know how you get on!

2 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

This is a wonderful Moc. Very beautiful, with distinct segments that join together without even a visible seam. 

Fantastic Work! 

Thank you for your kind words!

1 hour ago, Bodi said:

The farm house and the tea plantation look both very good. Nice job!

Thank you!

Both builds look great. The buildings are nicely done and I really like the stone wall in each scene. The field also looks pretty good with all those plant pieces. Good work. :classic:

Beautiful build! I love the roughness of both the stone house and the white house. I really like the stone stables, actually. The red door gives a nice pop to it and the general vibe is just something you don't see that often, I think. It makes think of British/Scottish medieval houses or colonial buildings in Canada.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:26 PM, Spud The Viking said:

No worries! Here is a very quick setup of the windows.

Hide contents

As you can see, it doesn't quite fit. There's also trans-clear bricks holding the window in place behind at an offset, allowing the pane to recess half a stud.

I also lit the house from the back with a lamp.

The bricks should align properly if you make the upper part of the window a 2 stud plate too. The math between the vertical and horizontal bricks is off now and it would require a lot of fidgeting to make it correct again.

50947637712_2c45b67fa4_w.jpg

However, this way you don't get the nice effect of a smaller top part of the window, of course.

On 2/15/2021 at 4:25 PM, Fraunces said:

Beautiful farm. You keep inproving!

Thank you, Fraunces! I'm glad to hear, I try to pick up more techniques and add more detail!

23 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Both builds look great. The buildings are nicely done and I really like the stone wall in each scene. The field also looks pretty good with all those plant pieces. Good work. :classic:

Thank you!

22 hours ago, Khorne said:

Beautiful build! I love the roughness of both the stone house and the white house. I really like the stone stables, actually. The red door gives a nice pop to it and the general vibe is just something you don't see that often, I think. It makes think of British/Scottish medieval houses or colonial buildings in Canada.

Thank you!! The Scottish vibe was definitely what I was going for!

The bricks should align properly if you make the upper part of the window a 2 stud plate too. The math between the vertical and horizontal bricks is off now and it would require a lot of fidgeting to make it correct again.

Yes! I had taken note of the technique somewhere and forgot it was 4 1/3 studs high. That makes more sense, thanks!

However, this way you don't get the nice effect of a smaller top part of the window, of course.

I agree, plus the windows would have been too tall for the build.