Thirdwigg

[MOC] Ionos Sports Sedan (Free Instructions)

3 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Light Bluish Grey

Wow have I missed something? Which set introduced LBG Defender wheels?

I think it is pretty cool that you are making 2 transmission options :thumbup:

3 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Wow have I missed something? Which set introduced LBG Defender wheels?

I think it is pretty cool that you are making 2 transmission options :thumbup:

The new AT AT. 

This build is all about the options: 3 engines, two drives, two transmissions, and two bodies. 

Alright, after about a year, and 6 months after when I wanted it to be, this project is finally done. It may not be my most popular MOC, but it certainly is one of the ones I am most proud of, right up there with my Spitfire.

This project started with the Defender wheels, and a desire to make a 1:10 scale sport sedan. My indecisiveness meant that I was willing to try a modular and options based approach to the car. And since most modern cars are made this way I thought it would be fun to see if this could work. Additionally, many of my recent builds are MOCs with lots of options that can be added to modify the MOC, so I was well prepared.

51753076983_c5c2167734_b.jpg

The car is 25 studs wide in the front, 27 at the rear with a 33 stud wheelbase. The car is 53 studs long. Each version has independent suspension front and rear, four doors, opening truck and bonnet, and steering with both a HOG and a cabin steering wheel. The full flickr album is here. Instructions are free an my be found at Rebrickable. I organized them as Red AWD Sequential, Dark Azure RWD Manual, and a V-8 for the RWD. I have all the studio files, so if you need something specific, PM me.

Then there are options. Lots. AWD Hybrid, RWD, I6, V8, Red, Dark Azure, Manual, and Sequential. Each is interchangeable.

51753716440_06ec0a1a98_b.jpg

Two engine tubs allow for RWD or AWD. The RWD tub will accept a V-8 or and I6 engine. The AWD tub has a fake hybrid unit with a flat 6 fake engine.

Two transmissions options are available, and both with connect with 6 pins to either engine tubs. A 4 speed manual or a 4 speed sequential transmission is available. The manual shifts in the cabin, and the sequential shifts with a lever on the rear bumper.

51752843341_a06071c5ed_b.jpg

Red and Dark Azure bodies are available. Both fit, but the bottom inside bolsters of the right seats need to be removed to allow the sequential transmission tunnel a little room. 

51753487199_ec2461c8e1_b.jpg

Below is the I6 Manual.

51752843961_3ca51fe627_b.jpg

The black wheels look best, but I had to try the new light bluish grey ones.

51752867926_56e38510a4_b.jpg

The video is a little long, but I wanted to show everything. Sorry for all my fingers.

I had a lot of fun with the MOC. I hope you enjoy as well.

Edited by Thirdwigg

Wow, all this modularity is really another level. I like the sequential with rear lever, which is very well integrated. Colorwise blue one is my favourite. Congratulations also for sticking with it for so long. End result pays off for the patience.

Best reagrds!

Wow, this is really cool :pir-love:! Thanks for sharing and taking the time to make the video, it was not to long!

I think this is something for the frontpage! 

It's very nice to see sedan instead of another supercar!
Cool attention to details like turning lights in the front fenders and complex exhaust system.
And thanx for the instructions!

1 hour ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Wow, all this modularity is really another level. I like the sequential with rear lever, which is very well integrated. Colorwise blue one is my favourite. Congratulations also for sticking with it for so long. End result pays off for the patience.

Best reagrds!

Yeah, I went really deep down the modularity rabbit hole. I agree, the blue is my favorite. And the manual with the hybrid motor. I'm happy I stuck with it.

1 hour ago, GerritvdG said:

Wow, this is really cool :pir-love:! Thanks for sharing and taking the time to make the video, it was not to long!

I think this is something for the frontpage! 

Thanks for the praise. I'm happy you like it, and were willing to watch the whole video.

28 minutes ago, Aleh said:

It's very nice to see sedan instead of another supercar!
Cool attention to details like turning lights in the front fenders and complex exhaust system.
And thanx for the instructions!

I know, I get tired of all the two doors.....

I'm glad to share the instructions.

Indeed, that modularity is really nice, the chassis seems quite cleanly done. I wonder if the fact that the body is only connected on a few points makes it kind of more 'flexible' (I don't mean the chassis, just the body sitting on top of it).

What I really like is the panel usage on the bodywork. It feels like it does not try to close all gaps but that works better as if it did. It feels like some patches of bodywork give a general curvature of the body where it needs, but parts of it don't try to get too close to each other where they can't connect naturally, so it does not end up looking like broken china (almost there but not smooth). Kind of like a 'less is more' feeling. The doors are simple and clean, and I like their similarity despite their differing size. Maybe the rear end behind the wheels is cluttered a bit only.

Thanks for the great work!

Well done, congrats that you finished it! Following the WIP thread was interesting. I like the modular design and the different engine/transmission options, very cool.

The bodywork style is not for me tho, I prefer a closed body with as few holes as possible. It is a style choice, some will like it, others won't.

50 minutes ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

Great job done on this! Really a fun build and blue really stands out…thanks!

Thanks, yeah, I love the blue.

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

Well done, congrats that you finished it! Following the WIP thread was interesting. I like the modular design and the different engine/transmission options, very cool.

The bodywork style is not for me tho, I prefer a closed body with as few holes as possible. It is a style choice, some will like it, others won't.

Glad you like the modular design and all the options. I really need to learn how to be decisive. Yeah, I get the comment on the bodywork. I realize it's not for everyone.

1 hour ago, gyenesvi said:

Indeed, that modularity is really nice, the chassis seems quite cleanly done. I wonder if the fact that the body is only connected on a few points makes it kind of more 'flexible' (I don't mean the chassis, just the body sitting on top of it).

What I really like is the panel usage on the bodywork. It feels like it does not try to close all gaps but that works better as if it did. It feels like some patches of bodywork give a general curvature of the body where it needs, but parts of it don't try to get too close to each other where they can't connect naturally, so it does not end up looking like broken china (almost there but not smooth). Kind of like a 'less is more' feeling. The doors are simple and clean, and I like their similarity despite their differing size. Maybe the rear end behind the wheels is cluttered a bit only.

Thanks for the great work!

Thanks for the thoughtful post.

The body in the video is only attached by two points, but there are six connections points: two in the front above the front engine to the frame, two in the middle that attaches to the floorpan (as seen in the video), and two at the rear to the suspension towers. It all ties together firm and well. With each added part the car gets stiffer.

Thanks for the comments on the bodywork, and I'm pleased with it. Yeah, the part behind the rear wheels took me too much time, and they are still not perfect. I'll do something better on the next build.

Again, thanks for the comments.