Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, Metanoios91 said:

This bickering about supposed minifig exclusives and hoping that they stay exclusive is seriously going on my nerves. It's a piece of printed plastic that cost a few cent to produce and some youtube influencers make people loose their mind over it. What happened about caring about the build of Diagon Alley (and the thousands of pieces that go into that)? Some care more for the two pieces that they thought are worth 100 $ and start acting like drama queens when they are in a 30$ AC or 70 $ set. If you bought DA just because of the minifigs you might want to look into collecting funkos or hasbro toys but not lego because you clearly are missing the point of a construction toy

Eh I still think there should be exclusive figs or variants and that’s not from watching YouTube, I’m not a big fan of the review community myself.  Main characters should obviously be available to everyone but stuff like DA Harry should remain exclusive. There are so many other Harry variants in cheaper sets for those less off, there’s not a problem in keeping one exclusive as an extra incentive to those who shelled out $400. Same with Lockhart, now he has a gold variant in the new Great Hall, so there’s no need to make the lilac one  available outside the set. If you’re willing to pay the money, then having a couple exclusive variants or exclusive background characters like Florean Fortescue is totally fine.  There’s special feeling when you get a rare minifig.

Edited by RODDY

Right now I can only see 2 possibilities for this witch figure: 
1. It appears in the accessory pack and has somehow leaked. 
2. It's not from the HP theme. 

Edited by Guyon2002

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

Right now I can only see 2 possibilities for this witch figure: 
1. It appears in the accessory pack and has somehow leaked. 
2. It's not from the HP theme. 

1) That’s definitely possible. I could see the accessory pack containing random wizards and witches to inhabit DA or other sets. The packs usually leak as a whole, but we‘ve seen weirder leaks before :laugh:

2) Considering it‘s a flesh-coloured minifig, at least parts of it have to be from either Marvel or HP since those two are the only licensed themes where minifigs could leak right now, unless I‘m overlooking something.

16 minutes ago, RODDY said:

Main characters should obviously be available to everyone but stuff like DA Harry should remain exclusive. There are so many other Harry variants in cheaper sets for those less off, there’s not a problem in keeping one exclusive as an extra incentive to those who shelled out $400. Same with Lockhart, now he has a gold variant in the new Great Hall, so there’s no need to make the lilac one  available outside the set.

Thats exactly what I mean. Btw I would love to get even 3rd version of Lockhart in next CMF series in his salomon pink or blue outfit and with cornish pixie. He is one of my favorite characters and I like his robes in the movies.

Edited by Textorix

28 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Well with silencio Harry minifig is quite different story. I think the problem there is that Lego itself marked that minifigure as super special and exclusive by putting it in extra box and not including it minifigure list for that set. I dont know if you get what I mean but if Lego  presents you some minifig as very special suprise then they shouldnt put it somewhere else. Otherwise I dont really care if you can get certain minifigs in multiple sets if its justified. I didnt have any problem with reuse of trio from Clock Tower in latest advent calendar.

The fig was nowhere in the promotional material and it says nowhere on the box or in the press release that the fig will remain exclusive to this set. It was supposed to be a special surprise for sure, that got flashed over all lego fan media sites and channels the second it hit the shelves. So even the "surprise" aspect is questionable.

The exclusivity was interpreted into it by you and others but lego never mentioned or promised its exclusivity (the only wish of them was to keep the silencio box secret). I think the press release only talked about 4 new characters (at that time): "Populate the mysterious shops and streets of Diagon Alley™ with four new character minifigures you won’t find anywhere else, including Gilderoy Lockhart, Florean Fortescue, Lucius Malfoy and the Daily Prophet photographer." 

This whole exclusive minifig thing with the SDCCs and so on might be "fun" for a few hundred collectors on the world. But for the rest of the consumer base it is either annoying, because good quality minifigs or sets like the Nebulon B or Bespin Duel are limited to a few basements, or they don't care for it at all.

Someone on IG speculating that the torso is for Griphook, the hat is for Hermione, and the head is for Justin. I could sort of see that.

Does anyone else think the head could also be used for a custom Nic Cage?

SDCC minifgures are completely different story :DDD I get your point of view but as RODDY said, some minifigures or their special variants should remain exclusive to specific set and its nothing wrong with it as everyone can still get them, just not from multiple sets.

Edited by Textorix

20 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Thats exactly what I mean. Btw I would love to get even 3rd version of Lockhart in next CMF series in his salomon pink or blue outfit and with cornish pixie. He is one of my favorite characters and I like his robes in the movies.

As the annoying resident Lockhart fanboy, the more Lockhart the better. Make a Bricktober pack with just Lockhart variants: Salmon Pink, Blue, Dueling Club, and the Green ones he wore at the Quidditch match. That still isn’t even all his attires as he has those red ones he wore when Harry was in Detention. Or the Insane Asylum Lockhart. Hell he could have his own CMF line!

Edited by RODDY

8 minutes ago, girlie-site-boots said:

What benefit is it to Lego to keep MFs exclusive to certain sets? 

Benefit for Lego is that they force some people to buy set just to have that minifigure. I am not saying I would do it but there are many people that would buy set just for minifig they dont have. Just from marketing point of view if you make certain product more exclusive to others, more people will buy it. 

Edited by Textorix

6 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

Someone on IG speculating that the torso is for Griphook, the hat is for Hermione, and the head is for Justin. I could sort of see that.

The head being Justin‘s is the only thing I could believe, but why does that twerp deserve a new face print? Ok, maybe for a petrified alternative look :tongue:

The torso can‘t be Griphook‘s though since he wears a brown coat in PS and the hat looks like the hat/hair combo piece that was introduced in CMF S14 and nothing like the proposed piece would look. A piece like that would be an absolute waste

1 minute ago, Brickroll said:

Does anyone else think the head could also be used for a custom Nic Cage?

The torso looks like a shoddy photoshop recolour from 40410 Charles Dickens hommage. Look closely and you can still see the dark green under the dark blue paint brushing that erased some of the print details. The collar is definitely the same as the charles dickens torso. The dark brown hair and the edge towards the face make me think that is also only a painted over hair piece from the DA photographer. The dark brown hair has lost a lot of contrast and light reflections it should normally have and the photoshop brush bleeds into the face at the edge. That wouldn't occur in a real photograph of the fig. I think it's a fake until reality proves me wrong with a release of that fig

Just now, girlie-site-boots said:

What benefit is it to Lego to keep MFs exclusive to certain sets? 

This is my thoughts too.  Look at how many people get upset when what they believe is an "exclusive" figure attached to a book ends up being part of a set at some point or already was.  Did anyone really think that the Tom Riddle figure that came with the overpriced already out of date HP character encyclopedia would remain the only way to get that figure?  I bought the book but I knew the figure would most likely end up in a set at some point eventually.

6 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

I think it's a fake until reality proves me wrong with a release of that fig

I think you might be onto something here, these parts definitely look suspicious upon closer inspection :hmpf_bad: The hunt for the elusive 15 minutes of Internet fame claims another victim 

If there are no exclusive figures, then there is no reason to buy specific sets. It's marketing and driving people to purchase from you. End of story. That's how a business would stay afloat. If they keep repeating characters/prints, then you can skip over certain sets altogether if there isn't much new in it. LEGO can't have that...

12 minutes ago, karrit said:

This is my thoughts too.  Look at how many people get upset when what they believe is an "exclusive" figure attached to a book ends up being part of a set at some point or already was.  Did anyone really think that the Tom Riddle figure that came with the overpriced already out of date HP character encyclopedia would remain the only way to get that figure?  I bought the book but I knew the figure would most likely end up in a set at some point eventually.

No offense but this isn’t a really good example. The book was $20 where the set Tom Riddle is coming in is $140. And we don’t even know if it’s the same figure or variant. Meanwhile DA Harry Potter was in a $400 set is now in $40 set, 90% off the original price. I know why they put him in there along with Griphook and the mine cart, so it pairs well with Gringott’s but it’s a bit of a let down to those who bought the OG Diagon Alley set imo. 

1 minute ago, RODDY said:

And we don’t even know if it’s the same figure or variant. 

Already said this but I'm pretty sure it's the same fig.

Just because a particular figure is exclusive to a specific set upon release doesn't mean the figure should never be used again in the future.  If someone is just starting to collect now should their only option be to buy a retired set third hand just to get a particular variant?  That doesn't make any more money for TLG.  I'm not saying there shouldn't be exclusives at all but you can't always have it both ways.  People complain about all the variants of the main three as well as a few other figures but the minute one of them gets used again others who thought they were exclusive complain about that.  They complain when we get yet another variant of Luna or Neville but then whine that we need another version of Lockhart or Lucius or Snape.  Meanwhile we each have particular other characters we want that have yet to be made.

5 minutes ago, RODDY said:

No offense but this isn’t a really good example. The book was $20 where the set Tom Riddle is coming in is $140. And we don’t even know if it’s the same figure or variant. Meanwhile DA Harry Potter was in a $400 set is now in $40 set, 90% off the original price. I know why they put him in there along with Griphook and the mine cart, so it pairs well with Gringott’s but it’s a bit of a let down to those who bought the OG Diagon Alley set imo. 

In all honesty it's just a couple of minifigues you still got an amazing build out of the DA set.

1 minute ago, Donkeypunch said:

In all honesty it's just a couple of minifigues you still got an amazing build out of the DA set.

Exactly.  If people are spending $400 on a set just to get a couple of "exclusive" minifigures that is the prime example of first world problems.

Each to their own, I do however think it's slightly unfair to criticise those who consider the minifigures to be a huge draw of bigger sets.  I don't think LEGO is solely a construction toy, look at the CMF series and huge selection of figs in big collectable sets - there's obviously a draw for many people who consider the figures to be an exciting part of their collection or of creating a scene they enjoy.  And just as some here are underwhelmed by another iteration of the Great Hall, the rarity of the scenes/figs is big plus for lots of people.  I still find it quite special having some of the original HP figs like Trelawney, Umbridge, Bellatrix that were rare and extra valued parts of my HP displays and if some people felt the same about the new Lockhart/Harry then I don't have a problem with that, in fact I can understand why an inclusion in a far cheaper set might taint their perceived value.

In any case, I don't really mind myself. I'm sure there will be plenty exciting figs/scenes to come.

Edited by Yope

I wont buy 400€ Diagon Alley just bcs of minifigures. The build is the most important and in case of DA its amazing but we shouldnt underestimate importance of having good minifigure selection and even some exclusive ones in sets like these. If you spend so much money for a large set its some kind of symbolic reward from Lego that they give you exclusive figure that you dont find anywhere else.

Edited by Textorix

If this was Fortescue, the DP photographer or the twins in their WWW outfits that were going to be reused I'd be upset. But I don't really see the problem with reusing a Harry figure, especially as he pops up literally everywhere.