Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

16 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Kids don‘t care about the comics (which isn‘t surprising, given how high the threshold is to enter the hobby), so they have to rely on the movies to sell sets, even comic-based ones. No movies, no tie-in sets, simple as that :tongue:

Maybe, but wouldn't it be a missed opportunity in cases like this year, where there are no DC movies at all? They could fill those gaps with comics-inspired sets and still make some profit, I would think... :wacko:

Regards,
Mitch

2 hours ago, CF Mitch said:

Maybe, but wouldn't it be a missed opportunity in cases like this year, where there are no DC movies at all? They could fill those gaps with comics-inspired sets and still make some profit, I would think... :wacko:

Maybe? But they're saying themselves that this is the reason AND they have all the sales figures to base that statement upon, which we don't :tongue: Of course the sets would still sell to a degree even if there aren't any movies around, but it's not hard to see why the media coverage of a franchise correlates with toy sales. No movies means no commercials means no kids are talking about it means less profit :grin:

But hey, zero kid-friendly DC movies this year, and yet we're still getting some decent sets. Could be worse if you ask me

36 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Maybe? But they're saying themselves that this is the reason AND they have all the sales figures to base that statement upon, which we don't :tongue: Of course the sets would still sell to a degree even if there aren't any movies around, but it's not hard to see why the media coverage of a franchise correlates with toy sales. No movies means no commercials means no kids are talking about it means less profit :grin:

But hey, zero kid-friendly DC movies this year, and yet we're still getting some decent sets. Could be worse if you ask me

I like the fact that we got adult based sets! 

Just need a Lego Art set Batman to be released! 

Next year will be interesting!

Watched both Schumacher's Batman movies this week, and I need sets for those. 

They would make such amazing sets, please Lego :innocent2:

Given that they've just revealed all of the remaining Marvel sets this year (minus the CMF series), it's probably not too far-fetched to think that the $40 Tumbler might get unveiled very soon too :moar: 

4 minutes ago, Moon_Knight said:

🤮

Harsh. Of course they‘re both extremely goofy and impossible to take seriously, but that’s part of the fun, for me at least :grin: B&R in particular is essentially a parody, and enjoyably bad in my opinion. Schwarzenegger‘s Freeze just cracks me up :laugh_hard: 

I agree with @THELEGOBATMAN, we definitely need sets for them at some point. People may not remember them as fondly as the Burton movies, but they still deserve a handful of sets, preferably in the same style as the recent 60‘s set :classic:

3 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Watched both Schumacher's Batman movies this week, and I need sets for those. 

They would make such amazing sets, please Lego :innocent2:

I mean no offense to you, but those movies make the theatrical justice league look like the dark knight.

8 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Harsh. Of course they‘re both extremely goofy and impossible to take seriously, but that’s part of the fun, for me at least :grin: B&R in particular is essentially a parody, and enjoyably bad in my opinion. Schwarzenegger‘s Freeze just cracks me up :laugh_hard: 

I agree with @THELEGOBATMAN, we definitely need sets for them at some point. People may not remember them as fondly as the Burton movies, but they still deserve a handful of sets, preferably in the same style as the recent 60‘s set :classic:

I was mostly just trying to be funny and was afraid it would come off that way. 😬

I’m not necessarily opposed to getting a set. Maybe the Batman Forever Batmobile. But there are (at least) 50 other DC sets I’d want before we get any representation of Schumacher’s Batman in the Lego form.

Edited by Moon_Knight

Just for completionist's sake, I wouldn't mind if Lego keeps this Batmobile trend going with the Kilmer and Clooney Batmobiles, as goofy as they are. 

But right now I've just been constantly refreshing my Instagram feed to see when the minifigure scale Tumbler pics will be revealed since we just got the No Way Home set pics which are coming out in the same month.

3 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I mean no offense to you, but those movies make the theatrical justice league look like the dark knight.

I’d like this if I could 👍

1 minute ago, TheBatstan said:

But right now I've just been constantly refreshing my Instagram feed to see when the minifigure scale Tumbler pics will be revealed since we just got the No Way Home set pics which are coming out in the same month.

Same here. Probably my most hyped set of the year.

24 minutes ago, Moon_Knight said:

🤮

:cry3:

Those are love em or hate em kind of movies tbh.

10 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

In terms of tone? Sure.

But that goofiness is what makes them so watchable and amazing for me.

6 minutes ago, Moon_Knight said:

Same here. Probably my most hyped set of the year.

You and me both, since The Batman sets got pushed to next year. The first time in 13 years since we'll get another black Tumbler instead of tan, and one that won't be as oversized as the 2008 version, or barely accurate/detailed like the 2013 Bane version. 

11 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The moment I've seen Bat-Ice-Skates I knew what I was getting into. 

I'm surprised how only a handful of people don't take it seriously at all and enjoy the hell out of it lol.

17 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I'm surprised how only a handful of people don't take it seriously at all and enjoy the hell out of it lol.

I think the biggest reason why I shun them is the behind-the-scenes of why they were made. Tim Burton had made two phenomenal movies (I still think they hold up but that’s a different conversation), that really captured the Frank Miller gritty, edgy Batman tone and Warner Bros was into selling happy meal toys. Burton was dropped so Keaton left and in comes Schumacher. Hence, why Batman’s suits change a couple times in both movies. They wanted to sell a buttload action figures. Poor writing, poor acting (even from top performers) and poor directing. I think 66 Batman is easily more watchable and worthwhile than Schumacher’s Batman. End of my Schumacher Batman hate. 😛

Edited by Moon_Knight

Well at least with Keaton being in The Flash, and the new Batman '89 comic series that's set after Batman Returns, it's clear that the Burton and Schumacher movies are in completely separate timelines now.

Also there was a leaked video yesterday that showed off some concept art from The Flash movie, and one of the images showed the 1989 Batmobile in a redesigned Batcave. What are the odds that Lego rereleases the same design again after they just made it with the 40433 GWP set?

22 minutes ago, TheBatstan said:

You and me both, since The Batman sets got pushed to next year. The first time in 13 years since we'll get another black Tumbler instead of tan, and one that won't be as oversized as the 2008 version, or barely accurate/detailed like the 2013 Bane version. 

Dude, I’m also pumped for The Batman sets. So excited to get that Batmobile in Lego form. I hope it’s got a similar build to Gervant Triviiskiy’s design. If not, I’m going to build his. I also hope we get a new mold for Battinson’s cowl but I’m not holding my breath.

2 minutes ago, TheBatstan said:

Well at least with Keaton being in The Flash, and the new Batman '89 comic series that's set after Batman Returns, it's clear that the Burton and Schumacher movies are in completely separate timelines now.

Also there was a leaked video yesterday that showed off some concept art from The Flash movie, and one of the images showed the 1989 Batmobile in a redesigned Batcave. What are the odds that Lego rereleases the same design again after they just made it with the 40433 GWP set?

I also saw the leaked video yesterday and I’m crazy excited. I doubt we’ll see a rerelease of 40433 but it’s always a possibility Lego will make a Flash set with the 89 Batmobile in it. Lego likes its vehicles. I guess it really depends on how much screen time the Batmobile gets.

Edited by Moon_Knight

12 minutes ago, Moon_Knight said:

I think the biggest reason why I shun them is the behind-the-scenes of why they were made. Tim Burton had made two phenomenal movies (I still think they hold up but that’s a different conversation), that really captured the Frank Miller gritty, edgy Batman tone and Warner Bros was into selling happy meal toys. Burton was dropped so Keaton left and in comes Schumacher. Hence, why Batman’s suits change a couple times in both movies. They wanted to sell a buttload action figures. Poor writing, poor acting (even from top performers) and poor directing. I think 66 Batman is easily more watchable and worthwhile than Schumacher’s Batman. End of my Schumacher Batman hate. 😛

Honestly I really dislike Burton and his style, so I have no attachment to his Batman movies. I think they are just simply acceptable.

I treat those movies as a parody in a way, and I love them. The acting is great, I mean they all perfectly fir their roles - the villains in Forever clearly have ADHD and are so stereotypically crazy, I mean was anyone better for that role than Jim Carrey? I love Val Kilmer too, my favourite late 20th century Batman. Villains in Batman & Robin were so bad that I loved it. I mean Arnold Schwarzenegger doing ice puns? Clooney was kinda... there tho. I also, this time for real, hated Robin and Batgirl.

The writing, if you think about it, was the same as in Burton's movies. I mean sure, Batman 89 was more grounded, but Batman Returns? It's literally the same thing as Batman Forever, just with a much different aesthetic. 

Don't make me start on directing. It's unironically great! This movies are so visually pleasing, the shots and colours especially. 

1 minute ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Honestly I really dislike Burton and his style, so I have no attachment to his Batman movies. I think they are just simply acceptable.

I treat those movies as a parody in a way, and I love them. The acting is great, I mean they all perfectly fir their roles - the villains in Forever clearly have ADHD and are so stereotypically crazy, I mean was anyone better for that role than Jim Carrey? I love Val Kilmer too, my favourite late 20th century Batman. Villains in Batman & Robin were so bad that I loved it. I mean Arnold Schwarzenegger doing ice puns? Clooney was kinda... there tho. I also, this time for real, hated Robin and Batgirl.

The writing, if you think about it, was the same as in Burton's movies. I mean sure, Batman 89 was more grounded, but Batman Returns? It's literally the same thing as Batman Forever, just with a much different aesthetic. 

Don't make me start on directing. It's unironically great! This movies are so visually pleasing, the shots and colours especially. 

Well definitely an agree to disagree discussion and nothing wrong with that! You can have your Schumacher Batman and I’ll take my Burton Batman 😘

34 minutes ago, Moon_Knight said:

Dude, I’m also pumped for The Batman sets. So excited to get that Batmobile in Lego form. I hope it’s got a similar build to Gervant Triviiskiy’s design. If not, I’m going to build his. I also hope we get a new mold for Battinson’s cowl but I’m not holding my breath.

We're pretty much twins. I really can't wait to see how Lego does Battinson's Batmobile with all the recent innovations they've made with the Speed Champions line like introducing the two seater car piece and making those models as sleek and accurate to the real things. My expectations for it are pretty high, but if it doesn't end up looking the best, then I also plan on using Gervant's design as a backup.

I think we will get a new cowl mold, none of the existing versions matches the unique design that Battinson's has. It's not like Lego can just reuse a comic cowl and call it a day like they did with the Batfleck minifigure using the New 52 cowl.

39 minutes ago, Moon_Knight said:

Well definitely an agree to disagree discussion and nothing wrong with that! You can have your Schumacher Batman and I’ll take my Burton Batman 😘

Yeah let's do that :excited:

On 6/30/2021 at 5:59 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

The other thing to consider is that given the popularity gulf between DC and Marvel right now, it's entirely possible retailers don't want DC Lego stuff that's not Batman or tied to a movie of some kind. There was a whole video done recently examining why Hasbro's Marvel toys generally offer a much broader and more diverse character selection than the DC toys made by other companies, and one of the key points raised was that Marvel as a brand has been red hot for the past 10 years, while DC's reputation in movie theaters has been much more hit or miss. Consequently, a lot of retailers are less willing to take a chance on DC stuff without reliable mainstays or some sort of movie presence to guarantee casual buyers will have even heard of the property and characters being featured.

2 hours ago, TheBatstan said:

I think we will get a new cowl mold, none of the existing versions matches the unique design that Battinson's has. It's not like Lego can just reuse a comic cowl and call it a day like they did with the Batfleck minifigure using the New 52 cowl.

The budget is usually higher with sets based off of films as opposed to comic-based sets.

I don’t even like the Schumacher movies, and also consider them to be in a different universe from the Burton movies, but I’d love to see sets from them. Getting an official Batman minifigure with Bat Nipples would be amazing and a lot of stuff from those movies make for great toys. :laugh:

5 hours ago, Moon_Knight said:

🤮

Fun fact I grew up on these movies and loved them and only recently learned how universally hated they are.

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Not at all. Those movies were 80’s camp with amazing costumes and a clearly goofy vibe. The Justice League is pure cringe and does not have that goofy loveability that Batman and Robin has. Bat credit card, bat nipples, and Freeze singing I’m Mr Snow Mizer were cheeky and funny. Snyders vision is just misled and mediocre, and that’s being generous.

5 hours ago, Moon_Knight said:

Hot take, all four films should somehow be represented in a set. I mean we constantly get Batcontent, I’d actually be so excited about an Uma figure, Arnold as Freeze, even the good and evil twins from Two Face’s lair would be fun. Instead of another year of Bat vehicles led by black suit Batman, a repeat of a hero we already got but somehow worse, and the Joker, why not give us a Bat set with from the 80’s? I can see a set at several price ranges from each movie and the costumes were so vibrant and eye catching, the hairography with Ivy was impressive, and Bat nipples would be funny and a huge source for memes if made in Lego, I’d love figures from those movies. I really think they should make it happen. And it’d be much more exciting than the standard bat sets we always get.

That said, I’d hope Suicide Squad gives them the push to finally make. a Lego King Shark. I also hope at least Mary Marvel and Black Adam get made in a set. I would love a set with Shazam, Black Adam, and Mary Marvel. Could be movie or comic inspired as the costumes are super accurate, preferably comic so we don’t get anything too stylized or movie specific, as I don’t imagine it will sell well and rumor has it the DCCU sets sell poorly anyways. I mean it doesn’t need to be directly based on the movie for us to know the movie is the reason we got it. We all know we got Deadshot in 2016 bc thats when Suicide Squad released, same with Shazam in 2019. I hope they repeat that tradition of unofficial tie ins bc I don’t enjoy the DCCU.