Sign in to follow this  
valon

lack of historic/castle themes on worldbuilder

hi, i have noticed how many historic theme fans ( such as me ) have complained how there are no historic themes currenlty, but i have also noticed how there are basicaly no historic themes that have content ( except for fantasy pirates , but i do not know if that is posted yet  and one other pirate theme) on world builder i am confsued why people ( such as me) who want a historic theme or more specifacally castle  would not use a website that lego made for people to design there own themes to make one !!!! ( pirates fans such as myself have gotten the pirate ship and bay ) if people want these themes so badly then why not make one on world builder that acautally has things in it !!!!

5 hours ago, valon said:

hi, i have noticed how many historic theme fans ( such as me ) have complained how there are no historic themes currenlty, but i have also noticed how there are basicaly no historic themes that have content ( except for fantasy pirates , but i do not know if that is posted yet  and one other pirate theme) on world builder i am confsued why people ( such as me) who want a historic theme or more specifacally castle  would not use a website that lego made for people to design there own themes to make one !!!! ( pirates fans such as myself have gotten the pirate ship and bay ) if people want these themes so badly then why not make one on world builder that acautally has things in it !!!!

I am honestly very surprised at how uninterested the general AFOL community seems to be about this new platform. I even met a few people who still haven't heard about the platform yet, despite having launched almost four months ago already. There was even a topic about it made on Eurobricks, and barely anyone commented on it. 

It honestly baffles me how so many AFOLs keep begging LEGO for a new Castle/Pirates/Space theme, yet when the opportunity comes right in front of them, they choose to ignore it. :wacko:

Thankfully though, I wasn't asleep when this platform was announced, and I already assembled a team and started working on a pitch for a new LEGO Pirates theme. It may be a while until my theme is actually uploaded to the site, as we are still early in development, but when we finish, it's going to be incredible.:wink: You can follow my project as it progresses in this thread here.

So yeah, if anyone here really wishes to see the return of those classic themes in some form, LEGO World Builder is the platform to use. 

Edited by Lego David

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

I am honestly very surprised at how uninterested the general AFOL community seems to be about this new platform. I even met a few people who still haven't heard about the platform yet, despite having launched almost four months ago already. There was even a topic about it made on Eurobricks, and barely anyone commented on it. 

It honestly baffles me how so many AFOLs keep begging LEGO for a new Castle/Pirates/Space theme, yet when the opportunity comes right in front of them, they choose to ignore it. :wacko:

Thankfully though, I wasn't asleep when this platform was announced, and I already assembled a team and started working on a pitch for a new LEGO Pirates theme. It may be a while until my theme is actually uploaded to the site, as we are still early in development, but when we finish, it's going to be incredible.:wink: You can follow my project as it progresses in this thread here.

So yeah, if anyone here really wishes to see the return of those classic themes in some form, LEGO World Builder is the platform to use. 

that looks absolutley EPIC !!!!!!!!!!!! and i am glad you are not uploading it until there is content, i hate how so may themes on world builderlook really cool, but have nothing on them !!!! i completley agree on what you said, if people want castle or pirates so badly, they should use worldbuilder and i am glad you are doing so !!!! i am actually making a castle theme on worldbuilder and will create a thread for that eventaully and hope others will make historic themes on world builder !!!! once agian, your pirate theme looks awesome and i hope it gets made 

Edited by valon

I think World Builder would be about new themes instead of remakes of old ones as it is about creating the next big LEGO world. I feel like more creative themes would have a better chance of being accepted...

Also, the Medieval Blacksmith may be the return of the Castle theme...

Edited by JintaiZ

Just now, JintaiZ said:

I think World Builder would be about new themes instead of remakes of old ones as it is about creating the next big LEGO world. I feel like more creative themes would have a better chance of being accepted...

a castle theme with a story line and creative elements would work !!!!

1 hour ago, valon said:

a castle theme with a story line and creative elements would work !!!!

You're right, it could work. However, the TLG likes unique and standout sets as most Ideas sets that gets chosen are the creative ones.

49 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

You're right, it could work. However, the TLG likes unique and standout sets as most Ideas sets that gets chosen are the creative ones.

i am working on a theme for world builder that i think could work !!!! here is the link if you would like to look at it https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/181926-world-builder-castle-rangers-of-the-falcon-kingdom/

1 hour ago, valon said:

i am working on a theme for world builder that i think could work !!!! here is the link if you would like to look at it https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/181926-world-builder-castle-rangers-of-the-falcon-kingdom/

Great idea, but I believe that you should start with a small build instead of asking other builders for help.

i have small builds, i was going to post them later but i can post them today i guess, ( would you possibly be good at building castles ?, i have basically no building peices here, though i could build small rooms in a castle )

4 hours ago, valon said:

i have small builds, i was going to post them later but i can post them today i guess, ( would you possibly be good at building castles ?, i have basically no building peices here, though i could build small rooms in a castle )

I'm not the best at building castles, I prefer to build Space/Sci-Fi MOCs. It's okay if you don't have pieces, as you could always use LDD or Mecabricks!

Edited by JintaiZ

I've got a few thoughts on this.  Ultimately, it would be nice to know LEGO's motives and what influence LEGO World Builder has on their decision to make a new (or bring back) a historical line.  Ultimately they want to create a line that people enjoy and that turns a profit.  This ultimately depends on kids wanting the toys.  I do not believe AFOLs are a big enough market for a whole historical line.  The architecture line is the only adult focused (non-AFOL) line I can think of.  There is ideas, of course, but that is a mostly one-offs.

Getting back to LEGO World Builder - would it be more convincing to have a few well thought-out, multiple contributor 'worlds' or are they looking for many one-offs?  For the latter case, I can see a bunch of individual kids (or small groups of friends) creating little worlds.  If TLG sees a bunch of these in a theme, they could say 'that theme is our next line'.  But maybe seeing a bunch of people work together shows the value in an idea too.  If that is the case, @Lego David's pirates world would be the way to go.

Eurobricks already has a castle world, Guilds of Historica.  Would it make sense to move (or copy) that to LEGO World Builder?  What intellectual property would be risked in doing so?  Would having GoH on LEGO World Building make a bigger influence than how it is run on this forum (in TLG's eyes)?

9 hours ago, jtooker said:

I've got a few thoughts on this.  Ultimately, it would be nice to know LEGO's motives and what influence LEGO World Builder has on their decision to make a new (or bring back) a historical line.  Ultimately they want to create a line that people enjoy and that turns a profit.  This ultimately depends on kids wanting the toys.  I do not believe AFOLs are a big enough market for a whole historical line.  The architecture line is the only adult focused (non-AFOL) line I can think of.  There is ideas, of course, but that is a mostly one-offs

I took the time to look through the LEGO World Builder guidelines, and from what I gathered, it seems like what LEGO ultimately wants from this platform is for fans to create “the next Ninjago” to put it in their words. What exactly that means only time will tell, but my interpretation is that they want fans to create another “Big Bang” theme that could potentially replace Ninjago as the next LEGO theme to last for a decade or more. 

Getting back to LEGO World Builder - would it be more convincing to have a few well thought-out, multiple contributor 'worlds' or are they looking for many one-offs?  For the latter case, I can see a bunch of individual kids (or small groups of friends) creating little worlds.  If TLG sees a bunch of these in a theme, they could say 'that theme is our next line'.  But maybe seeing a bunch of people work together shows the value in an idea too.  If that is the case, @Lego David's pirates world would be the way to go.

If I had to take a guess, I’d say well-developed worlds is what they are looking for. If you just created a fun little concept for a theme, LEGO might look at it and say “It’s a fun idea, but as a company we can’t justify making an entire product line out of it”. On the other hand, if they see a well-developed pitch for a vast world that they can take a lot from, I think that would have a much greater chance of being accepted as an official LEGO theme.

Eurobricks already has a castle world, Guilds of Historica.  Would it make sense to move (or copy) that to LEGO World Builder?  What intellectual property would be risked in doing so?  Would having GoH on LEGO World Building make a bigger influence than how it is run on this forum (in TLG's eyes)?

If Guilds of Historica has the right materials in order to be pitched as a new LEGO theme (such as concept art, set designs, characters, etc) I see no reason why not. 

13 hours ago, jtooker said:

The architecture line is the only adult focused (non-AFOL) line I can think of.

The Art range is 18+.

6 hours ago, Lego David said:

I took the time to look through the LEGO World Builder guidelines, and from what I gathered, it seems like what LEGO ultimately wants from this platform is for fans to create “the next Ninjago” to put it in their words. What exactly that means only time will tell, but my interpretation is that they want fans to create another “Big Bang” theme that could potentially replace Ninjago as the next LEGO theme to last for a decade or more. 

If I had to take a guess, I’d say well-developed worlds is what they are looking for. If you just created a fun little concept for a theme, LEGO might look at it and say “It’s a fun idea, but as a company we can’t justify making an entire product line out of it”. On the other hand, if they see a well-developed pitch for a vast world that they can take a lot from, I think that would have a much greater chance of being accepted as an official LEGO theme.

If Guilds of Historica has the right materials in order to be pitched as a new LEGO theme (such as concept art, set designs, characters, etc) I see no reason why not. 

that is a really good idea !!!!!guilds of historica could work, but you would probably have to make up a story using main characters, maybe the lord raavage plot would work ?

1 hour ago, valon said:

that is a really good idea !!!!!guilds of historica could work, but you would probably have to make up a story using main characters, maybe the lord raavage plot would work ?

I think Guilds of Historica could work in a similar fashion to Legends of Chima, where you have mutliple independent factions fighting each other in a large scale war, each of them having their own motives. There are plenty of story arcs that you could create around that setup. 

that is a very good idea !!!! should i make a page for it in guilds of historica, i think it could work !!!!!

Get permission from the people whose ideas you are thinking of taking. The story name, the factions and the individual stories and builds have been developed by others over many years. Nothing LEGO would take on could ever be as comprehensive as what has been developed by a community, and so they might not want you submitting their ideas.

well i thought it would make sense to make have guilds of hsitorica factions made more simple, but with out peoples characters. excpet from the desert king for kaliphlin, maybe ravage for nocturnus, a leader for mitgardia, who ever that  is and the rego for valryio. I would ask first, i do not like or want to be impolite ( sorry for being a little bit impolite on other threads by the way ) i also would want for other people to help, i do not know enough about guilds of historica to know how to make it simple enough to be a theme

I don't really know what World Builder is, but I believe that there is probably enough IP legality mess with the highly diverse set of characters, stories, images, maps, etc. that it would be a nightmare.  As @Kai NRG says, a story inspired by the Guilds might be good, or perhaps a much smaller story arc set within some small fiefdom or kingdom that could fit in GoH (with appropriate colors etc.) might also be possible.

6 hours ago, Grover said:

I don't really know what World Builder is, but I believe that there is probably enough IP legality mess with the highly diverse set of characters, stories, images, maps, etc. that it would be a nightmare.  As @Kai NRG says, a story inspired by the Guilds might be good, or perhaps a much smaller story arc set within some small fiefdom or kingdom that could fit in GoH (with appropriate colors etc.) might also be possible.

quite that is exatly wjhat i think !!!! a simpleified verison  of the story with kaliphlin as a roman/eygpatian faction avalonlia as a elf/knight and wizard faction, mitgradia as a knight/viking and dragons faction and nocturnus as a evil faction could work very well. You would have to have characters for every faction, but not peoples characters.

So this is where the discussion originated, thanks for mentioning me Grover. :grin:  I agree (obvs) that it would be too hard to get permissions to really replicate a GoH world and besides, it's too messy to replicate in the first place.  So, I would suggest avoiding using any of the original names.  Maybe you could keep the same colors, and four factions [GoH purposefully uses existing LEGO castle logos for their factions; since you are building a world, it makes total sense to design new ones].  If you were working with a team of guildies themselves, you could get those individual people's sig-figs which would be a lot of fun.  Easter egg nods are always awesome.  But if I were you I wouldn't even think about trying to replicate the guild story itself.  That has developed piecemeal over time and is just not the right kind of story for a product line IMHO.

On 12/13/2020 at 4:54 AM, Lego David said:

I've looked into World Builder just a touch and said to myself, definitely going to do that.  Someday. :tongue:  I've yet to be whacked over the head with a brilliant idea, you know what I mean?  But I do want to try to do something sooner rather than later.  This discussion is doing a good job of reminding me of that resolution.  I will need to block off a month for it next year. :grin:

do any of you think Arron Newmans dragon lands could be a theme ? i think it would work