Lego David

Fantasy Pirates: A LEGO World Builder Project

Recommended Posts

I recently teamed up with a couple of friends to create a pitch for a new LEGO Pirates theme to submit to the new LEGO World Builder platform. On of them is doing the concept art, and another one is doing the digital set designs. Here is a logo for the theme that we recently created:

image0.jpg?width=593&height=396

We plan on making this line distinct from other LEGO Pirates themes by adding a few mystical elements, while also having a more well-defined cast of characters. The basic story idea is about a group of Pirates who travel across the sea looking for a secret island, and on the way there they encounter various sea monsters and mystical creatures. Here is a Karken prototype set build that we just finished yesterday:

THE_KRAKEN.png?width=528&height=396

The project is still currently in the early development stage, but we hope to eventually have a good looking pitch that would attract LEGO's attention on the LEGO World Builder platform. 

What are your thoughts on this project? Would you have any suggestions on what other elements to add in it? Let me know by commenting in this thread. 

If you would like to contribute to this project in any way with your own skills, feel free to DM me, and I'll give you a link to our Discord server dedicated to this project. Any sort of contribution that you can offer to this project would be greatly appreciated. 

I'll also post updates in this thread as the project progresses. 

 

Edited by Lego David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When fantasy pirates are mentioned, board games like Man'o War and Dreadfleet come to mind. Just imagine: orcs, dwarves and skeleton pirates, and everyone has their own ship! Dwarves on steampunk steamboats, skeletons on wraith ships and orcs on rafts. And of course, the classic human pirates. This will be a revival of both the Fantasy Era and Pirates series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Monocle said:

When fantasy pirates are mentioned, board games like Man'o War and Dreadfleet come to mind. Just imagine: orcs, dwarves and skeleton pirates, and everyone has their own ship! Dwarves on steampunk steamboats, skeletons on wraith ships and orcs on rafts. And of course, the classic human pirates. This will be a revival of both the Fantasy Era and Pirates series.

Thank you for those cool ideas! I'll make sure to incorporate them into the theme more or less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lego David said:

I recently teamed up with a couple of friends to create a pitch for a new LEGO Pirates theme to submit to the new LEGO World Builder platform.

For those of us who aren't familiar... what is the LEGO World Builder platform?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

what is the LEGO World Builder platform?

It's a new LEGO platform that was released in August of this year that allows fans to pitch their own ideas for new original LEGO themes. Unlike LEGO Ideas, this platform is for pitching fully-fledged LEGO themes, not just one-off sets. 

Here is a link to the site in case you wanna check it out: https://worldbuilder.tongal.com/discover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If every character would have a ship, I think it'd be nice if the ships could be a remake of Classic Pirate ships. This way it would get fans more interested.

Just a suggestion :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

If every character would have a ship, I think it'd be nice if the ships could be a remake of Classic Pirate ships. This way it would get fans more interested.

Just a suggestion :)

I actually planned on making more unique ship designs instead of the "Classic" ones that have been done several times. Some more Asian-style ships is what I had in mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Some more Asian-style ships is what I had in mind. 

So how will they differ from what Ninjago offers?

LEGO Pirate ships has previously been inspired by vessels of the European nations (that would have been seen in the Caribbean)... yet there are plenty of classes of European ships which haven't yet been represented. E.g a barque, galleon, fluyt, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lego David said:

I actually planned on making more unique ship designs instead of the "Classic" ones that have been done several times. Some more Asian-style ships is what I had in mind. 

 

2 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

So how will they differ from what Ninjago offers?

LEGO Pirate ships has previously been inspired by vessels of the European nations (that would have been seen in the Caribbean)... yet there are plenty of classes of European ships which haven't yet been represented. E.g a barque, galleon, fluyt, etc.

Why not make both then!? :laugh: That would make both types of ships unique in their own way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

So how will they differ from what Ninjago offers?

LEGO Pirate ships has previously been inspired by vessels of the European nations (that would have been seen in the Caribbean)... yet there are plenty of classes of European ships which haven't yet been represented. E.g a barque, galleon, fluyt, etc.

Damm... where did you remember this?

Now I want to listen to the Colonization music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Damm... where did you remember this? 

I cannot recall exactly where... but it would be in topics posted 12+ years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

So how will they differ from what Ninjago offers?

My ships aren't going to be similar to the Ninjago ships in any way... I was thinking something more like this: 

ArtofSinbadLegendoftheSevenSeasA6-1.png

image0.jpg?width=490&height=426

I can understand the appeal of the 18th century European style ships like what we usually get from LEGO, but I want my theme to stand out by having more unique ships designs, like the ones I posted above. 

Edited by Lego David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lego David said:

My ships aren't going to be similar to the Ninjago ships in any way... I was thinking something more like this: 

 

 

I can understand the appeal of the 18th century European style ships like what we usually get from LEGO, but I want my theme to stand out by having more unique ships designs, like the ones I posted above. 

I actually think the shape may be too similar to 70618...

70618-1.jpg?201706280703

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I actually think the shape may be too similar to 70618...

70618-1.jpg?201706280703

My ships aren't going to look like that one, trust me. I plan on giving my ship a more dynamic shape and more play features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lego David said:

My ships aren't going to look like that one, trust me. I plan on giving my ship a more dynamic shape and more play features.

I would be really interested in seeing this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have said this other places, but maybe it ( or any historic pirates theme ) would work well if you combined it with other themes like castle. this idea sounds cool and  i hope it gets made !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update:

We almost finished the concept art for the Pirate Captain, which is going to be the main character in this theme:

image2.jpg?width=303&height=396

As a nod to the Classic LEGO Pirates line, we plan on making this guy be the nephew of Captain Red Beard. It's not going to make any difference in the theme's story, but still a nice little nod to the older LEGO Pirates fans. 

Edited by Lego David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Update:

We almost finished the concept art for the Pirate Captain, which is going to be the main character in this theme:

image2.jpg?width=303&height=396

As a nod to the Classic LEGO Pirates line, we plan on making this guy be the nephew of Captain Red Beard. It's not going to make any difference in the theme's story, but still a nice little nod to the older LEGO Pirates fans. 

Wow! You know, now I'm eager to help you. You can write me in messages for further discussion. At the moment, everything looks well-developed and cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting topic :classic:
Don't follow it actually, you want create some new 'line' in to the Lego? Like for example Friends, Elves ...
Sounds cool. And only boats or also some houses, castles or ...
the Idea of those steampunk boats and orcs and skeletons souds cool too.

On 12/7/2020 at 8:37 AM, Lego David said:

My ships aren't going to be similar to the Ninjago ships in any way... I was thinking something more like this: 

ArtofSinbadLegendoftheSevenSeasA6-1.png

image0.jpg?width=490&height=426

I can understand the appeal of the 18th century European style ships like what we usually get from LEGO, but I want my theme to stand out by having more unique ships designs, like the ones I posted above. 

This idea of the boat looks great. It reminds me right away of the those Chines junks, but than with some kind of medival touch, like those dragon wings on the back. It looks not 'original' (i mean to the junks) but it fits great with the rest of the style.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neonic said:

Don't follow it actually, you want create some new 'line' in to the Lego? Like for example Friends, Elves ...
Sounds cool. And only boats or also some houses, castles or ...
the Idea of those steampunk boats and orcs and skeletons souds cool too.

Yes, we want to create a pitch for a new LEGO theme (like Friends, Elves, etc) that would be submitted to LEGO through the new LEGO World Builder platform that was recently released. There is no guarantee that LEGO will actually take note of it, but hey, there is no harm in trying.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantasy Pirates theme sound really interesting to me as I read throughout this read. It’s a great idea. I was going to ask if ther would be the return of Captian Redbeard but I saw a pic of the nephrew. Ooo, that’s a brilliant idea! I bet his uncle would be proud of this young captian for great achievements! 

I like that Kraken/sea monster design. What about other creatures? Like mermaids/sirens, fairies (i know it does sound like Peter Pan). 

I never heard about World Builder platform myself but I will check that link. I have some idea for a new Time Cruisers theme (time traveling). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I like that Kraken/sea monster design. What about other creatures? Like mermaids/sirens, fairies (i know it does sound like Peter Pan). 

We plan on having four Sea Monsters in total, each of them guarding one of the ancient keys that unlocks the secret island which the Pirates are seeking. And yes, we do plan on having mermaids and sirens in the story. I even thought about giving one of the main characters the ability to become a mermaid whenever she enters in water. 

Speaking of witch, we almost finished another character design:

sketch1607545528634.png?width=237&height=396

 

Edited by Lego David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.