Ever since TC15, and @Lipko who (I think) came up with and @Rudivdk who used a great little variable pitch propellor system using the three-pin technic hub, I knew I had to use it for a little helicopter. I used it in a failed design, and a little executive helicopter that was not great. I wanted to try it again.

After playing with some panels, I decided to try my hand at one of my favorite little sets, 8640 from 1986. It is mostly the same size, but seats two technic figs and their skis and poles.

Both main and tail rotors spin, and the collective for the main rotor is controlled by the pilot.

50710019211_1dfb09dbc4_b.jpg

Ski and pole storage

50710019706_00eac1de5c_b.jpg

50710018031_9f034d6c6a_c.jpg

50709283533_ec155e5c41_c.jpg

I hope you enjoy. I'll take it apart soon, and I'll make some photo instructions then.

Nice! Thanx for mentioning me, but like you said, the design came from others. 

The heli looks really smooth, and like a real set actually. Makes me wonder how it would be received if TLG starts a 'Legacy' series (like they do with Ninjago) for Technic remakes...

This adds a nice touch to that old set. I found it rather bland as it only had the turning function of the main and tail rotor.
I would like to build it myself.

Isn't helicopter pilot typically sitting on the right side of the cockpit?

Edited by anyUser

5 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Nice! Thanx for mentioning me, but like you said, the design came from others. 

The heli looks really smooth, and like a real set actually. Makes me wonder how it would be received if TLG starts a 'Legacy' series (like they do with Ninjago) for Technic remakes...

While I recall you were not the one to come up with it, I recall you were the first to integrate it into a finished MOC, so I felt the need to cite you.

I confess, nostalgia runs strong with me, so I will buy any remake TLG will do. 21322 was a buy for me because of this. I do well not buying everything TLG makes these days, but if they release Ice Planet, Blacktron, Launch and Load Seaport, and anything Octan Racing or Technic pre 1998; I will buy it all.

@jorgeopesi while I love your construction builds, I would welcome a helicopter from you. 

34 minutes ago, anyUser said:

This adds a nice touch to that old set. I found it rather bland as it only had the turning function of the main and tail rotor.
I would like to build it myself.

Isn't helicopter pilot typically sitting on the right side of the cockpit?

You know, I don't know where the pilot usually sits. I guess I should have looked this up prior to this build.

11 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Wow, what a great execution! Brilliant use of the wheel hub as the collective control, might steal that idea :wink:

Go ahead and steal away. I stole it from others.

Liked the original LEGO set as a kid (never had it though) and love your version. Collective pitch for the main rotor and rotating main and tail rotors together is just stunning in this scale and the heli looks superb. This is the perfect little Technic set for me.