Sign in to follow this  
Rubblemaker

[MOC] NCS Recon Bubblescout

Every fleet needs a pathfinder, so I made one for mine. This little guy is good for both deep space and planetary atmospheric flight making him the ideal candidate for charting new territories for the fleet to explore. For anyone interested the full album can be found on my Flickr page here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/164260086@N06/albums/72157717063169662

NCS Recon Bubblescout

NCS Recon Bubblescout

NCS Recon Bubblescout

NCS Recon Bubblescout

NCS Recon Bubblescout

NCS Recon Bubblescout

Edited by Rubblemaker

Simply amazing! I'd just change the back with trans-yellow tiles so it looks more like a classic space one.

6 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Simply amazing! I'd just change the back with trans-yellow tiles so it looks more like a classic space one.

The back? Do you mean the front? Where the trans dark blue tiles are? I kind of like it dark there. It's intended to be a section that acts as a force shield and yellow would look too light I think. Its nice to have a strong dark colour defining the front. I could have done it with normal NCS blue tiles but I just preferred the texture the studs gave through the trans blue. Having said that, I agree it would have benefited from some trans yellow somewhere in the build. Such a shame those glass windshield domes don't come in trans yellow. I didn't want to risk staining them with turmeric either as I only have 2 of them so no room for error and I've never done turmeric yellowing before. ?

4 minutes ago, Rubblemaker said:

The back? Do you mean the front? Where the trans dark blue tiles are? I kind of like it dark there. It's intended to be a section that acts as a force shield and yellow would look too light I think. Its nice to have a strong dark colour defining the front. I could have done it with normal NCS blue tiles but I just preferred the texture the studs gave through the trans blue. Having said that, I agree it would have benefited from some trans yellow somewhere in the build. Such a shame those glass windshield domes don't come in trans yellow. I didn't want to risk staining them with turmeric either as I only have 2 of them so no room for error and I've never done turmeric yellowing before. ?

Yes, I meant where the trans dark blue tiles are. I think trans dark blue is already working well, I just thought trans yellow would get classic space fans excited.

Just now, JintaiZ said:

Yes, I meant where the trans dark blue tiles are. I think trans dark blue is already working well, I just thought trans yellow would get classic space fans excited.

Ha! You make a good point. Thinking of buying 2 more domes to dunk in Turmeric now....

You brought together an amazing array of fluid shapes here, Rubblemaker.

And a nice exhaust effect on the first picture. Looks like the engines are working on a sort of afterburner.

55 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

You brought together an amazing array of fluid shapes here, Rubblemaker.

And a nice exhaust effect on the first picture. Looks like the engines are working on a sort of afterburner.

Hey thanks! I love that appraisal of it, 'an amazing array of fluid shapes'. ?? As for the rockets, I'm a graphic designer by day and love doing stuff like this, so this one wasn't going to escape photoshop unscathed.

On 11/29/2020 at 5:29 AM, Jerry McGlade said:

I really like the shaping of your design. Great job!

Thanks Jerry, I think the technique originated from a builder called Dylan Lane. It's mega fragile, is an utter pain to work with but looks good!

3 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Very slick, another great build, Rubble! The front is sick, love those angles! Very neat design. :classic:

Thanks buddy :) I actually made it into Brickvaults Top 10 Mocs with this little fella too! It’s at 7:23: 

3 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Heck yeah @Rubblemaker, that's sick! You deserve it, man. You post some crazy, creative stuff. :thumbup:

Thanks mate. You too, love that white ship you made that splits in two! 

Elegant design!

Amazing how much turning the saucer shape on edge sets this apart from the many other ships incorporating saucer-like sections in the usual orientation (think Enterprise).

Glad you clarified the need for wings. So many LEGO space ships are just reworked jet fighters. Makes about as much sense as engine and weapon sounds in space.

On 12/14/2020 at 7:03 PM, jam8280 said:

Glad you clarified the need for wings. So many LEGO space ships are just reworked jet fighters. Makes about as much sense as engine and weapon sounds in space.

Very true! It was often said that, had the space shuttle not needed them for gliding in to land, it would never have had wings as they were just dead weight in space, though that in itself is ironic as there is no weight in space.

7 hours ago, Kevin Hansen said:

Oh very nice!  I'm loving the curves on this design.  The shape matches the function of the vehicle quite well. :)

Thanks very much :)

2 hours ago, John Cromwell said:

Very nice! This reminds me of that small Vulcan ship from the new Star Trek movies by J.J. Abrams, the Jellyfish.

Someone on my Flickr page made that same observation. I'd seen the movie years ago but the ship itself never stuck in my memory. So then I googled it after the Flickr comment and yeah! it really does resemble the Jellyfish. Honestly one of those things you find out after you've finished a build. I genuinely hadn't based it on anything whilst creating it. :)