Herky

Lego Architecture - rumors and discussion

For those arguing Lego has never done religion...

1309-1.png

set 1309 from 1957 / 309 from 1958 were a Church! *oh2*

So this is nothing new.

2 hours ago, Legochaek said:

This and all the Christmas stuff is starting to make their no-religion policy ‘no religion apart from Christianity’ 

Not really, since the Christmas sets have all focused on the secular aspects of the holiday (Santa, etc); if we get a Nativity scene, that would be different! 

2 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Errr, the Taj Mahal?

That was also a mausoleum (just designed to look like a mosque), but good point; I see it as being more similar to the Great Pyramid. 

2 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Christianity isn’t exactly “modern”

Obviously not! I just meant that Notre Dame is still a place of worship for an actively-practiced religion. 

BTW, I feel like I should clarify that I do not have any issue with LEGO making religious sites; I just thought that it was interesting. 

2 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

For those arguing Lego has never done religion...

1309-1.png

set 1309 from 1957 / 309 from 1958 were a Church! *oh2*

So this is nothing new.

There’s a much more recent example of St Mark’s Basilica in the Venice skyline set.

IMG-7550.jpg

Edited by Lucarex

4 hours ago, Legochaek said:

This and all the Christmas stuff is starting to make their no-religion policy ‘no religion apart from Christianity’ 

Apart from the other examples, there's also the unnamed buddhist pagoda in Tokio and the Chenghuang Miao and Longhua temples in Shanghai. Small builds, but still religious buildings.

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Obviously not! I just meant that Notre Dame is still a place of worship for an actively-practiced religion. 

Not sure if this would matter, but technically Notre Dame de Paris is owned by the French government and not the Catholic church. Maybe TLC sees that as grounds for an exception?

They might also be involved in some kind of reconstruction fundraiser. EDIT: All reconstruction costs have been raised, so probably not that.

Edited by Kaanere

11 minutes ago, Kaanere said:

They might also be involved in some kind of reconstruction fundraiser.

The restoration cost is approx 850m euro. All of it has come from private donations. 

12 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

The restoration cost is approx 850m euro. All of it has come from private donations. 

Thanks, noted :thumbup:

I really hope its just building with some interior bits and not wasting pieces for some trees like in sets before.

Notre Dame is really fascinating building, lets hope like day before release is not cancelled because "muh religion" .

If it really is Notre Dame, I think it will be very interesting to see the finished product.  It's an extremely ornate building, and there are a lot of complex building techniques involved.  However, it's larger than some of the stadiums and previous Creator Expert sets (for example Old Trafford, Tower Bridge and the Sydney Opera House) - it doesn't belong in Architecture where smaller sets should reside.

I was there that night when the fire took place, and the feeling the next day was like nothing I'd ever experienced before.  I remember it having been extremely hot and dry outside two hours before the fire began, and the next day it was like the city had lost an old friend.  Luckily, restoration is underway (I've revisited Paris several times since although the cathedral is closed) and she'll be back and open soon.

Great timing considering it will reopen this year

With this, I wonder what other Catholic buildings might be released

St Peter's Basilica from the Vatican? 

I mean religious buildings aren’t generally something they do (exceptions are mentioned above) but it’s a shame really considering the amount of money that goes into these architectural wonders because of their significance and the resulting ornate creations.  To name a few others I would love to see:

Sagrada Familia, Barcelona 

Saint Paul’s Cathedral, London 

Westminster Abbey, London

Saint Basil’s Cathedral, Moscow

Hagia Sofia, Istanbul

Saint Stephen‘s Basilica, Budapest 

Berlin Cathedral, Berlin

Sainte Chapel, Paris

Europe alone has countless examples and there are plenty of others elsewhere.  Unfortunately, LEGO’s attempted neutrality will likely never allow these to come to fruition as 7/8 of these are churches themselves and the eighth (Hagia Sophia) although a mosque was formerly a church.

P.S. Following Notre Dame, I can imagine the vast onslaught of complaints they would receive from making just one more church after that and none from another religion.

Edited by Vilhelm22

And the most famous catherhral in Florence…

And St. Patrick’s Catheral in Dublin, Ireland.

2 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Westminster Abbey, London

now that you mention it, Id say this is the most likely

If they do Sagrada Familia, it would have to take 140+ years to build, to be accurate. Construction on it started in 1881 and STILL isn't done!

Edited by Murdoch17

I just finsihed building Himeji Castle set today. I love this set!i it’s my first big Archiecture set (well, i did have small Archeicture sets like Big Ben, Trevoli Fountain, Learning Tower of Pisa, Whie House between early and mid 2010s).  

Himeji Castle is gorgeous - I love that it has landscape and  the way it’s built on hill/mountain. Pretty cool to see interior when removing castle’s main tower. 

But…I’m not sure what those parts are for? One stick/cane part on left-hand side, otuside the main entrance to the castle and two bars inside the castle? Any ideas what they are suppsoed to represent?