Paperinik77pk

[MOC] Egger Bahn narrow gauge steam railmotor

Hi all,

after a quite long absence from the forum, I'd lilke to show you this small MOC I just prepared. It should have been a model for the Octrainber, but since I've no time to prepare the whole diorama, I'll show you only the little railcar.

The Egger-Bahn is a model line created in the 60s, based mainly on fictional freelance rolling stock (even if some models were inspired by real prototypes). These models were in 1:87 scale, running on H0e track - therefore simulating a narrow gauge system. One of the main models was the articulated steam railcar you can see in this picture taken from internet.

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

The lillte railcar is articulated and composed by a steam motor and an half-passenger wagon. It is a very nice model and I've always liked it!  :wub:

Since I'm working a lot on big scales, I wanted to do something different, so I got back to 6-wide on 4-wide track:

Egger-Bahn Steam Railcar Mini

It's super-deformed as my other small locomotives I made , and it's based on the 9V red MicroMotor.

It can run on black Lego narrow-gauge track and on LEMAX Christmas Train track - which is perfect for small Lego models (and features straights and larger curves).

Here below you can see the different components, like the MicroMotor, the rear bogie, and body parts (motor and trailer).

And here's a detail of the motor and passenger trailer. As you can see, the 9v MicroMotor is mounted upside-down, and moves the rear wheels of the steam motor.

The power comes from a 9v battery box, but I succeded to run the Micromotor on small 12v batteries. Some home made electronics may save space! :thumbup:

The batteries should be placed near the trailer link, therefore their weight - insisting on the only driven axle -  can improve traction.

I hope you like it! :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk
One picture missing :)

While I love the model as it's really close to it's prototype, have you tried to build this in the brick? I own a micro motor and as far as I can tell, it's neither fast nor strong, I'm not sure if it's enough to propel this little guy around the track.

21 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Such a neat little railcar! I'm amazed that you were able to power it in such a compact way. Great work!

Thanks! Probably it could also fit some interiors, if using a smaller battery - but I did not try it , sincerely! :sweet:

20 hours ago, deraven said:

Looks great, and wonderful job articulating and motorizing it at that scale!  :classic:

Thank you very much!

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Wow, the prototype is crazy and the build is amazing. Great work! Just one thought, would this part be helpful for the stack:

18654.jpg

This part would be fantastic! I did not thought about it...it is also a great idea for headlights on bigger models!!! Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, Amoreternum said:

While I love the model as it's really close to it's prototype, have you tried to build this in the brick? I own a micro motor and as far as I can tell, it's neither fast nor strong, I'm not sure if it's enough to propel this little guy around the track.

Thanks! :classic:

I did not try to build this model, but I use the little 9v Micromotor from some time and in a similar model (a "Swiss" mini-locomotive) it works fine!

If you look at it you can see the chassis of the steam railmotor is pretty the same. I think the railmotor will have more traction than this little red thing.

It is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW ,but it can pull easily the standard 9v battery box (not the one in the photo...too big and heavy) inside a small wagon. :thumbup:

WP_20180202_14_12_58_Rich

Ah, that's just too cute! Great model as well, must look great on a layout :D thanks for sharing it, as well as your thoughts, does sound like the motor is just enough for what you need it to do. Great!

On 10/20/2020 at 6:14 AM, Amoreternum said:

Ah, that's just too cute! Great model as well, must look great on a layout :D thanks for sharing it, as well as your thoughts, does sound like the motor is just enough for what you need it to do. Great!

Thanks! The 9v Micromotor works better than I expected , it's awfully noisy but delivers enough power to move also a 12v old car from 7740 set (which is not so light). It amazed me , to be honest I did not think it could pull anything :wub:

Now I'm quite an "aficionado" of the Micromotor...so I always use it on these small MOCs ! :laugh:

On 10/20/2020 at 9:23 AM, seejay said:

Really nice compact model. The articulation looks . . . satisfying.

Thanks!!! It seems to work even if it is simple - I've made a mockup to test it on small black curves :laugh:

On 10/28/2020 at 3:08 AM, Modeltrainman said:

I wish LEGO would make a NEW micromotor. It'd solve many powering issues. Nice job, @Paperinik77pk

Me too! There are so many electric small motors nowadays, working at lower voltages and being more powerful than this one :wub_drool:

Thanks for appreciation!

On 10/28/2020 at 9:17 AM, brick-builds said:

Hello Davide. Very good work, thanks for sharing! :pir-love: 

Thank you!!! :laugh: