A Wild P42

Custom train bogies/trucks

Funny, it was actually through that colour issue that I read about the end of support. Hadn't realised that that specific issue was fixed.

I started using LeoCAD in '99 or 2000, then after a while switched to MLCad.

On 7/11/2020 at 7:16 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Oh man, I feel for you, some of my favorite non-lego software packages have gone obsolete and all of the alternatives really suck. You are probably living on borrowed time, it is unlikely LDD will ever get a parts update even if you are able to backdate to the older version, at some point the palette will become so limiting. But you could go to a hybrid approach by doing most of your building in LDD, then port over to stud.io to add the 5% of the parts that are not in LDD (and maybe even get a cheap mouse to help with it for the 30 min you spend in stud.io)

In fact my situation is worse than yours, I'm mostly on a Mac and the current OS will not and will never again support some of my key apps. So I will need to keep an OS 10.14 machine indefinitely. This is like the second or third time they've done a sweeping obsolescence. On the other hand, I had to update my windows last year and if I recall correctly, that thing will still run DOS programs... sigh.

It's a pity that someone technically minded couldn't take up the LDD torch.

On 7/12/2020 at 4:43 PM, Toastie said:

Well it depends. There was an issue with the MLCAD.ini file recently (if I recall correctly - colors were all wrong due to new color definitions). I raised that issue in the "LEGO Digital Designer and ..." forum. They in turn contacted Michael Lachmann. As I did. He responded nicely and the issue was fixed. Colors do work flawlessly again.

Wow! I had the same problem with MLCad when I upgraded my PC but thought it was something with the update rather than Windows. MLCad is far from intuitive but once you get use to it it is very powerful, so like you, I don't want to change software. I never would have found this solution without your link. Unfortunately, while the file is accessible, there does not seem to be a direct link to it on any of the LDraw of MLCad websites. In case there are others, here's the post I found the link on and here's the direct link to the updated MLCad. Anyway, I fired it up last night and it fixed my color problems. My biggest surprise was that I clicked undo and it actually undid! I thought those buttons were purely for entertainment purposes.

5 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

MLCad is far from intuitive but once you get use to it it is very powerful

Yes, that is exactly my take on MLCad: If you have fun of it, you can painlessly place one brick partly inside another:wink:. But the thing is really when you get used to it, it simply works fine. And that's it. Others have the same feelings for other software - again: Fine! That is also the reason why I use Microsoft (Ohh Nooo) PowerPoint (Ohhh Noooo) for so many things ... not only lectures and stuff but my entire drawings for my LEGO layout, things I change in/add to the house we're living in. Number one: Because I am used to it. It just works - quick and maybe dirty, but works. Number two: House is still standing, wife, dog and cats are happy. LEGO layout as well: I am happy.   

5 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

I thought those buttons were purely for entertainment purposes.

Well I believe nothing in MLCad is for entertainment purposes - I believe Michael is a mechanical engineer - these folks do take things seriously. Every bit of what they construct. Be it a bridge crossing a major river or a piece of software, which was built as there was nothing comparable at that time ...

Glad that it worked out for you! Happy MLCadding.

Best
Thorsten 

Edited by Toastie

21 hours ago, Toastie said:

Well I believe nothing in MLCad is for entertainment purposes - I believe Michael is a mechanical engineer - these folks do take things seriously. Every bit of what they construct. Be it a bridge crossing a major river or a piece of software, which was built as there was nothing comparable at that time ...

Mind you I was NOT complaining one bit about MLCad, it is very powerful and it does a great job. When I started using it I'm pretty sure the "undo" was on the list of functionality to be added in the future. It is quite possible that I've been using an early version of MLCad for all these years and just kept porting it as I upgraded my computer. If this were a commercial piece of software I paid $100 for I'd expect multiple undo's. If this was something that someone put together on the side and did not charge a thing for, hey, I do not need undo. At any rate, there are no undo's in physical building with Lego and in virtual building it is easy to work around. For adding parts, if you don't like it delete it. For deleting parts if it is something I'm unsure of I copy whatever parts, group them, then hide them before I start modifying that area. Or if it is a major change, I make a copy of the sub-model. The files are so tiny that I also always keep a version trail. Each session I update the model version, v01, v02, etc, and sometimes when making a major revision I'll do so in the middle of a CAD session.

On 7/16/2020 at 5:27 PM, Toastie said:

That is also the reason why I use Microsoft (Ohh Nooo) PowerPoint (Ohhh Noooo) for so many things ... not only lectures and stuff but my entire drawings for my LEGO layout, things I change in/add to the house we're living in. Number one: Because I am used to it. It just works - quick and maybe dirty, but works.

Best
Thorsten 

I know what you mean. Years ago I decided not to go an learn Linux. I know it's great and safe and powerful but I've used Mickeysoft since.... around the time of Live Aid? Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards from 5 1/4" floppies!

I have however in the last few years mostly moved from Excel to Google Sheets. That can do so many handy things that Excel can't do. Documents are still in Word though. Anyone remember Word Perfect 5.1 with its html-like 'underwater' screen?

Here's a picture of the step by step building of the side details. Let me know if you guys want more pictures

Step by step.png

A view from slightly the top/side might be something?

And even clearer if parts different colours.

When I click on your image all I see is dark parts against a black background !!!!

You need to use a better way to post images - see FAQs

Same with all black bogie - very hard to see details, best to use different colour parts to show better how it is built.

Edited by Doug72

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

When I click on your image all I see is dark parts against a black background !!!!

C/p into any graphics tool (including PowerPoint) +++ brightness, --- contrast - all there.

Best
Thorsten

I do love these details - the parts usage is certainly novel.

Regarding parts visibility - black is always difficult, even in real life. However, it looks like you're using LDD, so there's an easy in-program fix: Go to "edit", then "preferences". In the dialogue box, tick "Outlines on bricks" (you'll need to restart the program for them to show up). I've reproduced the detail section you've shown earlier to demonstrate - it makes a big visual difference, especially to stacked bricks or plates.

800x213.jpg

Do you plan to build anything (digitally or physically) to use these bogies?

19 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

The files are so tiny that I also always keep a version trail.

Same here. I just save numerous versions - and then later clean up.

With larger models (including many submodels) - I only very sparsely use the "Undo" - if at all - as for some reason increasing numbers of comment lines are appended to each submodel after each "Undo". This may eventually end up in non-functionality of MLCad. When I need to use "Undo" then I do check for that issue.

Found that out when I was adding rather long (and many) LSynth-generated PF and 9V wires to one model. I have always to give that a couple of tries, as MLCad has no problem in wiring through bricks :pir-murder: so "Undo" is very nice to remove all the hundreds of LSynth pieces with one click.

:laugh:

Best
Thorsten

It's more legible with the outlines.

15 hours ago, Duq said:

I know what you mean. Years ago I decided not to go an learn Linux. I know it's great and safe and powerful but I've used Mickeysoft since.... around the time of Live Aid? Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards from 5 1/4" floppies!

I have however in the last few years mostly moved from Excel to Google Sheets. That can do so many handy things that Excel can't do. Documents are still in Word though. Anyone remember Word Perfect 5.1 with its html-like 'underwater' screen?

My wife still uses WP51 for DOS.  I've gone open source.  I guess with source code I can recompile if necessary for new OS on the assumption I can figure out how to do that.   Dang, software dependencies. :laugh:

7 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Do you plan to build anything (digitally or physically) to use these bogies?

Maybe, I don't have all the parts yet. Plus, its not realistic so I'm not sure what I could use it for.

@ColletArrow Thanks, it does make it easier to see.

steps2.png?width=835&height=452steps.png?width=835&height=452

Which steps look the best?

Edited by A Wild P42
Picture glitch

Great, that is so much easier to follow than all that black. Thanks!

With the detail now visible the side frame looks good. I think it could use a top bar that runs at least as wide as the two pink hose handles... actually, wait a second, what if you rotated it 180° so that the hose handles are on the top? As for the stairs in your earlier post, I prefer the panels with three sides, but it is a matter of subjective choice.

Thank for the feedback everyone :)

On 7/19/2020 at 8:05 AM, zephyr1934 said:

With the detail now visible the side frame looks good. I think it could use a top bar that runs at least as wide as the two pink hose handles... actually, wait a second, what if you rotated it 180° so that the hose handles are on the top? As for the stairs in your earlier post, I prefer the panels with three sides, but it is a matter of subjective choice.

Ok, I'll see what I can do with this