Hi,

I found myself lately developing more RC models. I have a spaceshuttle in the works as shown here a while ago which uses a Control+ hub and three motors to control eight functions. I also have an BMW X3 that I haven't shown yet. That one uses two Sbricks to control four motors and 4x2 leds. And I have a new 1:8 supercar in the works that will use two Control+ hubs with seven motors to control eleven functions.
For all these models some extra logic is needed to make them work. I am looking at functions like:
- Find the endstops of a Control+ motor and then divide the space between it in 4 or 8 equal partitions.
- Select a function on the smartphone display, then, based on that selection, move the aforementioned Control+ motor to one of the 4 (or 8) positions and then start another motor to run the function
- A LED light is used as main light as well as indicator light. The indicator function can be triggered either by selecting the right signal button or the alarm button. Deselecting these buttons should bring the light back to the previous state.

Furthermore a skin needs to be made that shows all the functions on a smartphone/tablet interface.

Even though I have some experience with programming I prefer to spend my time on designing models instead of designing user interfaces and underlying logic. So I am looking for someone who is willing to do this kind of work for me for a fee. If you are interested you can PM me.

@Jim: I assumed this kind of post is allowed here. If not, feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum.

Edit: from the discussions it followed that the new-to-be-released Sbrick Pro app is the best candidate platform for this.

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

I can possibly do it as long as I can use C asm or freebasic and there's no OOP involved. I also know that @Sariel is making android apps so maybe this might interest him.

Regards, Snipe

Edited by SNIPE
edit: oops I totally misread your post

19 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

I can possibly do it as long as I can use C asm or freebasic and there's no OOP involved. I also know that @Sariel is making android apps so maybe this might interest him.

Regards, Snipe

I have no idea what is available in terms of SW platform. I'd say today there are three kandidates, SBrick, BuWizz and Brickcontroller2, since these are available to the general public. I wouldn't want to ask you to make yet another controllerplatform I guess.

The current apps that are offered by SBrick and BuWizz are quite rudimentary when it comes to even slightly more complex logic than a tank-steering or a blinking light. But I think both are working to expand their SW platform to also enable Control+ applications. It would make a lot of sense if they than also add more 'programming' features.
I have no experience with Brickcontroller2, so I don't even know what is possible in that platform, let alone what SW it uses.

So, if one of these platforms is using C asm or freebasic for their code it could be interesting.

I spend a lot of time coding (going to uni for computer science) so I may be able to help out here. I don't know anything about the code involved with this psecific project but I can learn. Are there any resources/code bases for any of these controllers out there?

10 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I have no idea what is available in terms of SW platform. I'd say today there are three kandidates, SBrick, BuWizz and Brickcontroller2, since these are available to the general public. I wouldn't want to ask you to make yet another controllerplatform I guess.

The current apps that are offered by SBrick and BuWizz are quite rudimentary when it comes to even slightly more complex logic than a tank-steering or a blinking light. But I think both are working to expand their SW platform to also enable Control+ applications. It would make a lot of sense if they than also add more 'programming' features.
I have no experience with Brickcontroller2, so I don't even know what is possible in that platform, let alone what SW it uses.

So, if one of these platforms is using C asm or freebasic for their code it could be interesting.

There are only two options:

- Create a new application that fulfills all of your wishes

- Use existing apps and live with the limitations

If you want to create your own app, be aware that you have to take care of it for years ;) Creating the Jeroen Ottens Version of the Control+ app just for your models without any option for customization would be easier, but I'm not sure if it would be wise to do so =/

16 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Hi,

I found myself lately developing more RC models. I have a spaceshuttle in the works as shown here a while ago which uses a Control+ hub and three motors to control eight functions. I also have an BMW X3 that I haven't shown yet. That one uses two Sbricks to control four motors and 4x2 leds. And I have a new 1:8 supercar in the works that will use two Control+ hubs with seven motors to control eleven functions.
For all these models some extra logic is needed to make them work. I am looking at functions like:
- Find the endstops of a Control+ motor and then divide the space between it in 4 or 8 equal partitions.
- Select a function on the smartphone display, then, based on that selection, move the aforementioned Control+ motor to one of the 4 (or 8) positions and then start another motor to run the function
- A LED light is used as main light as well as indicator light. The indicator function can be triggered either by selecting the right signal button or the alarm button. Deselecting these buttons should bring the light back to the previous state.

Furthermore a skin needs to be made that shows all the functions on a smartphone/tablet interface.

Even though I have some experience with programming I prefer to spend my time on designing models instead of designing user interfaces and underlying logic. So I am looking for someone who is willing to do this kind of work for me for a fee. If you are interested you can PM me.

@Jim: I assumed this kind of post is allowed here. If not, feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum.

In case of "Control+ Hub":

- Calibration and deviding the range of values can be done in the Powered Up - App. Calibration will not be stored between sessions.

- The interface can not be customized at the moment. You can select many different functions, but you have to do it with the three available buttons and two sliders (there are two numbers, that can indicate the selected funktion). The logic required is easy to implement with the logic-blocks.

- Again: Doable, but the interface would be complicated.

Edit: The interface thing is only half true. You can of course access the functions directly in the block interface.

- Skins are not available in Powered Up.

Edit2: I do not know if there is any possibility to easily share configurations.

A few ifs and maybes:

If the Sbrick team releases their new version soon and it can do everything you want: Use the sbrick app. Maybe contact them for informations.

Lego continues to release updates for Powered Up on a "regular" basis. I'm sure they will add a customizeable interface someday... there is an unofficial announcement for a new update at the end of this month, maybe they add something essential ;) (I do not think so)

Edited by Gimmick

Doesn't sound like something I could do, sorry. More like something that calls for a team of seasoned devs.

As @Gimmick said what you described would require currently a custom app built from scratch, none of the available solutions offer compatibility with Powered Up (Control+) & SBrick hardware and customizable interface with high level of programmability. 

• BrickController 2 - you could set up a controller profile that controls SBrick and Powered Up hardware even the same time, but no endstop calibration what you described. It has a calibration sequence for steering servo but I guess you need something else. Profiles are also non-shareable currently so you need to provide step-by-step instructions for the setup, and it's not a software-only solution since you need a game controller to use the app. Still your best chance probably to have the features added that you need, I suggest to get in touch with @imurvai to see the complexity of the extra features needed
  • SBrick app - only controls SBrick hardware at the moment, a promise of upgrade/new version is there but wouldn't hold my breath 
  • BuWizz app - limited support for Powered Up hardware, no support for SBrick. No coding options.
  • Powered Up app - support for Powered Up hardware, no SBrick support. From a coding perspective this might be the most versatile solution to customize it for your needs, but lacks a properly customizable interface at the moment and there's no option to share profiles. The app is very much work in progress, new features will updated gradually but I wouldn't expect a fully customizable solution anytime soon.

Thank you all for your reactions, that really helped narrowing down the options.

I actually did have a chance to look at the new Sbrick Pro interface and that does seem to have a wealth of logic blocks to program with (a bit like the MindStorms interface). I think that this is the best offer out there at this moment.

So I changed the title of the topic. Is there anyone that is interested in programming the things I need in the new-to-be-released Sbrick app?

On 5/25/2020 at 5:42 AM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I spend a lot of time coding (going to uni for computer science) so I may be able to help out here. I don't know anything about the code involved with this psecific project but I can learn. Are there any resources/code bases for any of these controllers out there?

Hi, BrickController2 is open source and can be found here

12 minutes ago, zux said:

Have you considered FxBricks? Seems like another possible option.

Interesting company. But it looks like these are more geared towards light & sound additions. That I sofar have no need for.

2 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Interesting company. But it looks like these are more geared towards light & sound additions. That I sofar have no need for.

Correct, but they also have PFx Brick which can control motors. Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Android and iOS. Proper documentation is available too, including Python and C++ API's for you own app. So there's already a good start.

Both founders are well known in LEGO community and it may be just worth getting in touch with them to understand if existing product already meets your need. Maybe such functionality will be available in the future.

Taking into consideration available options like API's and extensive documentation PFx Brick looks to be the better (easier?) option out of all suggestions to start with.