Sign in to follow this  
legonerd54321

[MOC] Frisco #1501 (4-8-2 Mountain Type)

On 8/25/2020 at 4:57 PM, JWBDolphins said:

Thank you!  They're on my list to investigate!  :classic:

Here's how the Fx Brick's audio sounds with their XL speaker while beneath a plate or two, YouTube did lower the quality quite a bit and compressed the sound, but you can still hear it very well. 

On 8/26/2020 at 9:18 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Iknow, its like you need a printed checklist of all the little things that could be out of place if you look at the model funny. Still though, glad it happened otherwise I would never have noticed your clever solution for a dummy coupler that I'll probably borrow.

Haha yeah, I saw that dummy coupler solution from somewhere, however I'm not quite sure where it was from.

Well it's a New Year, which means it's time for a new update. I wasn't sure if it was okay to make a new topic or bump this one, so I'm going to bump this one just to be safe.

Frisco 1501 rebuild #2

The locomotive has been rebuilt (again) from the wheelbase up. It looks prototypically accurate, from the smokebox door to the roof, and the firebox. The boxpok wheels are temporary though, as the original wheels are currently getting white-walls. I'm also waiting for replacement decals for the tender.

Frisco 1501 rebuild #2

the only thing that I'm personally not happy with is how far the pistons are set out, so I'll be playing around with a proper design for those as well as trying out valve gear really soon.

Frisco 1501 rebuild #2

I may also find a new design for the air tanks on the side of the locomotive, as they are very fragile, as well as the connection they use to the locomotive (currently just two studs).

I'll be back in a few months for another update :wink:

Okay, so version 1.0 was amazing, and it keeps getting better with each iteration. So what would that be, Amazing^3? Brilliant touch on the smokebox, and on the whole it looks so realistic. Two thoughts, first, if you do add valve gear then maybe having the cylinders sticking out isn't so bad (I didn't even notice until you mentioned it) since the valve gear add width beyond the rods. And second, if you are going to redo the air tanks, what about this piece,

6192.jpg

(which BL apparently reclassified as a curved slope)

The updated model is amazing, especially the new smokebox door and additional piping. And photographing it in real snow was a nice touch!

On 1/2/2021 at 8:57 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Okay, so version 1.0 was amazing, and it keeps getting better with each iteration. So what would that be, Amazing^3? Brilliant touch on the smokebox, and on the whole it looks so realistic. Two thoughts, first, if you do add valve gear then maybe having the cylinders sticking out isn't so bad (I didn't even notice until you mentioned it) since the valve gear add width beyond the rods. And second, if you are going to redo the air tanks, what about this piece,

6192.jpg

(which BL apparently reclassified as a curved slope)

Thank you! I will definitely look at that piece, and I've also seen this technique which uses sauce pans and is in-between 1 stud and 2 studs wide. They seem to curve a bit when stacked, but nothing a bit of sandpaper cant fix.

Cabin Car Tank and Tubing

17 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

The updated model is amazing, especially the new smokebox door and additional piping. And photographing it in real snow was a nice touch!

Thank you!

Well, this update took quicker than I thought. The model is pretty much done, I'm waiting one one last brick order, rods order (unless I change up the rods again :tongue:) and one last decal order. I'd say I'm pretty satisfied with this model. The little details like the rope for the bell, minifig hands on hoses, etc all just tie it together for me. I may re-do the motor to do a dual motor setup, but that's way down the line. I'm not touching this until next year. 

Frisco 4-8-2 #1501Frisco 4-8-2 #1501Frisco 4-8-2 #1501

Frisco 4-8-2 #1501

The valve gear isn't perfect setup isn't perfect, but it gets the job done.

Edited by legonerd54321

It just keeps getting better and better. Nice touch with the rope to the bell and I just noticed the use of the wing plate on the cab roof.

12 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

It just keeps getting better and better. Nice touch with the rope to the bell and I just noticed the use of the wing plate on the cab roof.

Thanks! The rope for the bell is a detail that I feel that goes unnoticed when it comes to modelling, it really helps tie models together. 

There's one last thing I had up my sleeve for this model, and I wanted to wait until the Brick Train Awards is almost over to post it. 

I added crew talk to my model on top of the bell/whistle sounds. I really wanted to do something that I haven't seen that many people do with their model, which is crew talk. I had a buddy of mine record sound bites for it, and although it really isn't accurate (as most steamers didn't have a radio) but I feel like it just makes the model feel more alive.