Sign in to follow this  
Jerac

[MOC] 1985 Lamborghini Countach LP5000 Quattrovalvole in 1:16

I rarely do vehicles in lego, but a Countach was on my list for long enough to eventually make it to the top. 
The version I picked was 1985 LP5000 Quattrovalvole, because I had a poster of this exact variant and to me, it is *the* Countach.

49706425723_87dd731454_h.jpg

49707281352_8f223c7c42_h.jpg

49706962211_b53f72d3c9_h.jpg

49706962071_cbb9a341fd_h.jpg

The model features opening doors, front trunk (frunk?), engine cover and proper trunk:
49706427003_67b442dfe7_h.jpg

49706426318_64f7abf9bb_h.jpg

...and an interior:
49718746253_1f25cb22b9_h.jpg

The metal die-cast model I had had no carburator covers for some reason, and indeed it seems some cars are like that. Because this is an incredibly photogenic detail I opted to do it like this too:
49706426433_65915ccad9_h.jpg

Steering uses so-called "vritual axle" mechanism, which was inspired from newest UCS Batmobile. The movement range is low, but it works.

Steering is routed through the center tunnel and you insert a knob into the differential area to use it. You can store the knob in the trunk, making it one of few model LEGO cars having an actual tool in its trunk!
Instructions are available at brickvault.toys - though, it is the MOC aspect I wish to share with you the most.

Since I rarely build model cars, please tell me if you spot anything which can be fixed or made better. There is one particular area which gave me A LOT of headache...
Thanks in advance!

Edited by Jerac

Wonderful stuff! I saw this on TLCB some days ago. You did very well to recreate the lines of the car. To incorporate the functions is even more impressive. I can't see how to improve it at this scale. To be honest there are many areas which would give me headache... Maybe it's nitpicking but some parts espescially the wheelarches do not look too sturdy. Thanks for sharing here!

What a beautiful model! I love how you have extended the standard windscreen to fit, rather than just gone with the element. Your sculpting of the rear wing is also phenomenal!

Thanks guys! Yeah, fenders gave me most headaches here. There is so much happening there. It should have a bulge, should have a continuous line from bumper to front edge of the roof, should have a recess for "frunk", should be gently sloping inwards near the bumper, should have turning wheels - AND it should also have flared fenders, which ALSO need not to be exactly round.

Yeah that was nice challenge.

Like @Jerac this was the only car worthy of going on my bedroom wall in the 80s. I'm a big fan of virtual pivot steering and yours looks like a method I haven't seen before where the endpoints of the steering arms do not pivot on the chassis. It's hard to see how it works from the short clip.

I'm not really one for display models but this tempts me, are there any super rare parts in this build and can you do different colours?

Edited by ukbajadave

13 hours ago, ukbajadave said:

Like @Jerac this was the only car worthy of going on my bedroom wall in the 80s. I'm a big fan of virtual pivot steering and yours looks like a method I haven't seen before where the endpoints of the steering arms do not pivot on the chassis. It's hard to see how it works from the short clip.

I'm not really one for display models but this tempts me, are there any super rare parts in this build and can you do different colours?

I can send you a parts list. Right away it can be done white or red, but if you can substitute few pieces like 1x3 panels and live with little gaps, other colors should be possible. 

On 3/31/2020 at 9:33 AM, Jerac said:

...to me, it is *the* Countach

To me, the Countach is the Lamborghini. Thanks for sharing. I specifically like the side windows and the visual dominance of the rear wheels!

Awesome MOC!  Which Lego would do one of these like the Ferrari...

On 5/22/2020 at 5:26 PM, Go-Kart said:

To me, the Countach is the Lamborghini. 

In my opinion, that crown belongs to the Miura, which came before.

800x600.jpg

In step 30 for the red model should the black sub assembly be secured to the brown thin beams with a 10th red 2l axle? It seems kind of floppy without. The parts list calls for 9 axles and I've used them all already. Any help gratefully received 

Edited by ukbajadave
Added pic

This is very nice shaped Lambo. Though my favorite Countach is this one 

Edited by 1gor
Typo...

3 hours ago, ukbajadave said:

800x600.jpg

In step 30 for the red model should the black sub assembly be secured to the brown thin beams with a 10th red 2l axle? It seems kind of floppy without. The parts list calls for 9 axles and I've used them all already. Any help gratefully received 

I have now reached stage 75 where a 3l axle is inserted and realise it was clearly builder error :blush:

Not a name I expected in the technic forum! It’s impressive to see someone who builds impressively detailed Star Wars sets also do a great representation of a well known sports car.

Hate the arches but I assume you do too. Looks like you got the shaping down quite well though!