Micmac

Harry Potter custom builds and moc's

2 minutes ago, Seaber said:

No problem! Snape's Office and Potions classroom are in the Dungeons below the Viaduct Entrance (the build in the Astronomy Tower set). 

They are so far under the school you could make an argument for them being anywhere, but the entrance in Myrtle's bathroom is in the aforementioned Viaduct Entrance

This is where the OotP and HBP games get a little messy, they'd suggest the entrance to Slytherin is near Potions class, and I suppose that's no impossible, but it makes more sense to add them below the Quad or Great Hall which have more sides near the Lake. 

So in terms of placement, I've currently got Snape's Office next to The Quad's Entrance, and the Potions classroom parallel to it, next to that tower piece that's got a bathroom and Dumbledor's office in it. Speaking of which, isn't Dumbledor's office supposed to be in the big tower connected to the great hall? And if that's supposed to be Myrtle's bathroom, it should be on the other side of the display right?

21 minutes ago, shadefoundry said:

So in terms of placement, I've currently got Snape's Office next to The Quad's Entrance, and the Potions classroom parallel to it, next to that tower piece that's got a bathroom and Dumbledor's office in it. Speaking of which, isn't Dumbledor's office supposed to be in the big tower connected to the great hall? And if that's supposed to be Myrtle's bathroom, it should be on the other side of the display right?

Dumbledore's office is in those three tiny turrets on top of the biggest tower, yeah. The bathroom in the Clock tower set is the Prefects bathroom, rather than Myrtle's, which is located just below the Hospital Wing in universe. 

I'm not modding my sets into a correct Hogwarts, I'm going to be breaking them up and rebuilding when I get a chance so I'm not sure of the best placement of the existing modules :) 

1 hour ago, Seaber said:

I'm not modding my sets into a correct Hogwarts, I'm going to be breaking them up and rebuilding when I get a chance so I'm not sure of the best placement of the existing modules :) 

Same, though instead of going through the hassle of creating a screenaccurate Hogwarts I will be building it the way I always imagined it (which is a mix of the books, movies and my own imagination) :grin:

In trying to place DA in my town, I’m curious as to people’s interpretations on how it “fits” in the town. Obviously the Leaky Cauldron is there, but what surrounds it? And, what do you muggles see? That of course will just be imagination...but still. 

I like to be as realistic as I can, even with added fantasy elements. I’ll try to explain this as best as I can...my plan is(if you’re looking straight at the table) I’ll have Detective’s Office to the left of Brick Bank, then Pet Shop & Bookshop next to the laundry side of the Bank. It forms a backwards L. Then behind those will sit DA(and using The Highlander in DO in place of the Cauldron). So it’s sorta hidden, but will be fully visible from the other side. 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 2:56 AM, Vindicare said:

In trying to place DA in my town, I’m curious as to people’s interpretations on how it “fits” in the town. Obviously the Leaky Cauldron is there, but what surrounds it? And, what do you muggles see? That of course will just be imagination...but still. 

I like to be as realistic as I can, even with added fantasy elements. I’ll try to explain this as best as I can...my plan is(if you’re looking straight at the table) I’ll have Detective’s Office to the left of Brick Bank, then Pet Shop & Bookshop next to the laundry side of the Bank. It forms a backwards L. Then behind those will sit DA(and using The Highlander in DO in place of the Cauldron). So it’s sorta hidden, but will be fully visible from the other side. 

I believe you could place it next to 10246 and 10232.

I was one of those who REALLY wanted the Diagon Alley set, but both the price and the pinkness of Quality Quidditch Supplies made me decide to go it on my own. So I bought a ton of windows from Bricklink, 3 pages of stickers from the set (still waiting on the one for "The Daily Prophet!") and used my ample supply of bricks to make my own versions. My version has all the shops built with no sidewalk or street, because it worked into my existing city like that, and I changed other things I didn't like (like you can actually take things down from the bookshelves in Flourish and Blotts!). Ollivanders is from the old Diagon Alley set (and re-colored). And of course the inside of "The Daily Prophet" is all custom. And my sincere apologies to the creator of "Potage's Cauldron Shop," JL.Brick. I saw the Instagram post, loved it, immediately set out to make my own, and only today saw they posted the instructions for sale on Rebrickable! 

50417869807_d5bcb42fe7_b.jpg

50417704921_b33730684d_b.jpg

50417010038_96be0d67c7_z.jpg

I have had quite a busy couple of months, but I made a few entries to the Return to Hogwarts contenst on the LEGO website. I'm not expecting to win as there were some really great entries, but I'll post them once the judging has finished. Before that I'll post one entry that was rejected, and another that I didn't get round to finishing. 

The first is based on Harry's first night in Hogwarts, where he is sitting on the windowsill lookin gout over the lake with Hedwig. This one was rejected, though I can't understand the reason why. Still, it was a fun afternoon designing and not my favourite entry anyway :) 

_20201008_113936

_20201008_113718_20201008_113743

I did enjoy designing the water jug and bed, the cupboard took about an hour to get right for something so small. Harry's using lamp bricks to look like sitting legs. 

I didn't get to finish the following entry as I had two weeks away. It's a mini Hogwarts, currently in the GoF look, which I was then going to have certain features easily added, removed, or modified to make it look like other films and other scenes. The GoF scene was to be the arrival of the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang students in mini carriage and ship which I started but didn't complete. Someone uploaded an entry with a similar Flying Horse design too, which made me lose interest more. I've rendered it as it is though, so the rock work is incomplete, as is the Training Grounds, and the GST is one level too short. The Wooden Bridge hasn't even been started! Might finish it off one day. 

340?cb=20100209203859

micro hogwarts pre rocks_2micro hogwarts pre rocks_3micro hogwarts pre rocks_4durmstrang and beaubatons

On 10/5/2020 at 2:33 AM, f2iso100 said:

I was one of those who REALLY wanted the Diagon Alley set, but both the price and the pinkness of Quality Quidditch Supplies made me decide to go it on my own. So I bought a ton of windows from Bricklink, 3 pages of stickers from the set (still waiting on the one for "The Daily Prophet!") and used my ample supply of bricks to make my own versions. My version has all the shops built with no sidewalk or street, because it worked into my existing city like that, and I changed other things I didn't like (like you can actually take things down from the bookshelves in Flourish and Blotts!). Ollivanders is from the old Diagon Alley set (and re-colored). And of course the inside of "The Daily Prophet" is all custom. And my sincere apologies to the creator of "Potage's Cauldron Shop," JL.Brick. I saw the Instagram post, loved it, immediately set out to make my own, and only today saw they posted the instructions for sale on Rebrickable! 

Nice job, you should probably add and extra level of window to the top and bottom windows in Olivanders to scale it up to the size of the other buildings, It looks a bit squished. 

Hey all. I've built some more of the east wing. I added the central tower, southeast gallery, bell towers, lookout tower and part of the courtyard. The next steps will be to add the last small building in one corner of the courtyard and of course the astronomy tower. Sorry for the bad-ish photos, I really need to find a better way to take pictures.

WIP3

Here's a look from the other side:

WIP1

Some more can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/189983961@N08/albums/72157715675147848/with/50447395872/

Hi guys. I can't quite afford Diagon Alley, so I was thinking of buying it block by block, as someone is splitting the set on eBay right now. The building I like best is Quality Quidditch Supplies, were it not for the hot pink shop front. While it's accurate to the set, the set has appeared in murky green too:

ebfbd720defc63083c7299e6eaec4f31.jpg

I wonder what you guys think to a recolour. And then, sand green, earth green, olive green or lime?

I've seen it done in stone but while I like it, it doesn't suit the pic above.

It would look roughly like this:

BzORucO.png

On 10/9/2020 at 1:18 AM, Micmac said:

Nice job, you should probably add and extra level of window to the top and bottom windows in Olivanders to scale it up to the size of the other buildings, It looks a bit squished. 

Ooh, I think you're right! I'm going to play around with that this week. To be fair, my kids play with my sets (eek!), and it usually ends up next to Medieval Market Place, which is substantially smaller, and my daughter's purple book shop :) Thanks for the feedback! 

@Princess Amy, have you looked at Bricklink? You can buy individual shops there as well from multiple sellers, and I've personally had a much better experience with Bricklink shops vs. ebay. Regarding the recoloring, I do that myself all the time, but I haven't found a good solution to the pink problem for QQS either. I think I have enough brick red to give that a try, but I think it's going to be too dark. Your green solution is nice; olive green would add some depth to the palette since Flourish & Blotts already uses sand green. 

Lego Gringotts Bank And Broomstix

On the final run on Diagon Alley moc. Just need to finish Olivanders and all the outsides will be finished at least.

Wasn't sure if this was the place to post... but here goes nothing. 

50557017791_d43eb003fd_z.jpg

These are all citizens, travelers passing through Hogsmeade, or, in Tom's case -  a very old Horcrux from nearby Hogwarts.

NOTE: I mix flesh figs with yellow figs. I have done that forever, and consider them from parallel universes and / or times that are traversed by some magical means to get them at the same place and time. Be this a jacked-up time turner, errant portkey, or magic steam loco, it works for me.

Top row (L 2 R): Hogsmeade station master w/ lantern (name unknown) - apothecary shop owner "Mr. Owens" - The Fat Controller (on holiday, not resident) - funeral director "Samuel Leech" -  graveyard watchman "Mr. Smith"

Second row (L 2 R): Ministry of Magic dignitary "Joseph Davis" - Dentist "Dr.  Salazar Hugo" - village crackpot "Jake Roberts" (believes Hogsmeade and Hogwarts exist only in fiction... how absurd!) - sweet stuff inventor "Thomas Roberts", (Older brother of Jake Roberts.  Works for Honeydukes Candy Store) - Hogsmeade founder statue. (No-one quite remembers who founded the town, but they certainly earned the statue, located outside the train station.)

Third row (L 2 R): These four ladies are the local gossipers.* Names aren't important on who THEY are, but when they've got YOUR name, you have trouble coming!  - Horcrux "Tom Marvolo Riddle" (DANGER: Do not approach! If you see this spectral figure in Hogsmeade or Hogwarts, contact the Ministry of Magic or Dumbledore immediately!)

*In reality, my brain is about fried for today, I couldn't come up with anymore random names. So I gave up and wrote the gossip bit instead.

Any thoughts on this batch of figs? I was trying to make generic-yet-somewhat-HP-looking figs. Please tell me if I succeeded or not!

EDIT: Oh, and here is the station I mentioned earlier:

50541970386_fd10ef717f_z.jpg

See it here in this topic with the Hogwarts Express.... and yes, it was inspired by the Sesame Street set!

Edited by Murdoch17

Modified the Great Hall by adding a courtyard, cliffs, the boat house, and a taller tower. I moved Dumbledore's office to the top of the tower, incorporating versions of Bugbot20082's pensieve and memory cabinet. I placed the fireplace from the Advent Calendar into the floor below (I figured it could be a waiting room into Dumbledore's office) and the rotating Griffin statue below. 

c4606a6e862f51eacbc64282371f3c2c.jpg

04e2d4148fd080be897ea69f92df6f69.jpg

f4bc0f73d2cc46ef67bb690d9375f480.jpg

75eaff8ea8c8de61413013779cbe0dc4.jpg

a77edeb76ce0096b5b1ac1e6ae7372c2.jpg

On 10/29/2020 at 5:35 AM, Micmac said:

On the final run on Diagon Alley moc. Just need to finish Olivanders and all the outsides will be finished at least.

Nice work on the tilting columns of Gringotts, and the crooked chimneys on top of Olivanders.  Wizard crowds look lively :classic:

A couple of entries I sent in to the recent lego competition. 

Meeting the Fat Lady:

_20200921_162125

Micro Dementor Encounter on the Hogwarts Express:

_20201127_105234

On 10/11/2020 at 9:12 AM, Princess Amy said:

Hi guys. I can't quite afford Diagon Alley, so I was thinking of buying it block by block, as someone is splitting the set on eBay right now. The building I like best is Quality Quidditch Supplies, were it not for the hot pink shop front. While it's accurate to the set, the set has appeared in murky green too:

I wonder what you guys think to a recolour. And then, sand green, earth green, olive green or lime?

I've seen it done in stone but while I like it, it doesn't suit the pic above.

It would look roughly like this:

BzORucO.png

Go with the Sand Green bricks and Dark Blue windows.  The green/blue upper story coloring is found at Universal Studios Orlando FL theme park (perhaps others).  We made a small MOC based on the London set from the later movies, with position and coloring based on Orlando.  I also recommend the dark tan masonry bricks to tone down the dark orange/nougat used in the Lego set.  Your Orlando photo reference has shortened the large window and added an additional door to the left.  Based on the first two movies, TLG built the bottom half spot on, and matched the pinkish color as best as they could.  The upper windows could be lower to match the film better.  But I suspect they took liberties and stretched the building to match the back side of Weasley's.

Edited by more awesomer

Small update on the Hogwarts East Wing MOC progress. The upper levels are finished. Dungeons are next, then the West Wing. Still a lot of work to be done :). Also happy new year all!

Jan update

On 1/3/2021 at 5:09 AM, Magicbrick said:

Small update on the Hogwarts East Wing MOC progress. The upper levels are finished. Dungeons are next, then the West Wing. Still a lot of work to be done :). Also happy new year all!

Fab. Looks Amazing. Do you make interiors or is it just exterior build. Do you post your work anywhere? insta or flickr? Greenhouses look cool.

I’ve just recently started watching the Harry Potter Saga recently. Finished The Order of the Phoenix last night! I have all the sets of the last couple waves (haven’t built them all yet!) and they are all starting to make sense! :D but I can see improvements that certainly can be made to them! I skimmed the first page of this thread and am super excited to see what you’ve all done!

11 hours ago, Micmac said:

Fab. Looks Amazing. Do you make interiors or is it just exterior build. Do you post your work anywhere? insta or flickr? Greenhouses look cool.

Thanks :)! Limited interiors yeah, but I'm not very good at them yet. Some of it, mostly exterior scenes, is on Flickr and Instagram under mag1cbr1ck. The greenhouses were inspired a bit on the new Hogwarts moments set.

Diagon Alley Moc comparison

Made a comparison picture of the original and my moc. Made a few more alterations to some of the buildings as I ordered some more bricks. Just need to do interior of Oliivanders and Scribbulus now.

4 hours ago, Micmac said:

Made a comparison picture of the original and my moc. Made a few more alterations to some of the buildings as I ordered some more bricks. Just need to do interior of Oliivanders and Scribbulus now.

That looks amazing!

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

That looks amazing!

Thanks. Working on interior of Ollivanders at the mo but should be done in a few days. Finished interior of Broomstix tonight