Found myself in a bit silly situation- when building the marvelous front/headlight section of my Sian, I have noticed:

To the left section of Sian, there is no visible Gap in between the black technic beam and the rounded shape of the white bottom angular headlight bar in the instruction:

800x450.jpg

However, there is a clearly visible gap in between for the right section 

800x450.jpg

The end result currently is this:

800x450.jpg

Is it normal, or was there an error in the instructions manual? I think both section should be done similarly. I just do not know which one to follow.

It is trivial, but when a model is such detailed, I should care.

Edited by thekoRngear

39 minutes ago, thekoRngear said:

Found myself in a bit silly situation- when building the marvelous front/headlight section of my Sian, I have noticed:

To the left section of Sian, there is no visible Gap in between the black technic beam and the rounded shape of the white bottom angular headlight bar in the instruction:

However, there is a clearly visible gap in between for the right section 

The end result currently is this:

Is it normal, or was there an error in the instructions manual? I think both section should be done similarly. I just do not know which one to follow.

It is trivial, but when a model is such detailed, I should care.

Hi I don't quite understand what you mean but I uploaded a video of completed model (with some bits removed!) which hopefully helps. How you've done it looks right to me? I can't see a difference between left and right?
The two angled pieces that the white bars are attached to, end up kinda 90 degrees to each other. The white bars start by following the line of the angled piece, but there's obviously a gap between the white piece and the angle piece as the angled piece er, angles away? OK i knew i couldnt write what i mean clearly so yeah check out the video haha

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zxlh0nqAfJbQMJUsKBYQ6N2iepaLvXG4/view?usp=sharing

@SiDawg Thnx for your response. I have watched the vid which confirms my building the right section of Sian was right. Now kindly take a look at my post again where I have reuploaded one of the 2 pics again so that anyone can understand it more clearly. Take a look at the Red Marked area in Pic#02. Then I guess you would understand which gap I am talking about.

Just now, thekoRngear said:

@SiDawg Thnx for your response. I have watched the vid which confirms my building the right section of Sian was right. Now kindly take a look at my post again where I have reuploaded one of the 2 pics again so that anyone can understand it more clearly. Take a look at the Red Marked area in Pic#02. Then I guess you would understand which gap I am talking about.

Ahh ok im with you... well the top pic still probably matches the bottom: that piece is at an angle, and lego uses orthogonal not perspective drawing so it would be blocking the gap by same amount as you can see front faceon other side kinda thing... but yeah agree it does "look" like second shows a larger gap. To be honest: I just moved each of the three bars in and out until it "looked right" where the three ends met... if you put them all fully inwards then it's not symetrical

Just now, SiDawg said:

Ahh ok im with you... well the top pic still probably matches the bottom: that piece is at an angle, and lego uses orthogonal not perspective drawing so it would be blocking the gap by same amount as you can see front faceon other side kinda thing... but yeah agree it does "look" like second shows a larger gap. To be honest: I just moved each of the three bars in and out until it "looked right" where the three ends met... if you put them all fully inwards then it's not symetrical

That is one massive help. I agree with you that since Lego uses orthogonal so it "looks" to us as if there is no gap. Thanks for your very prompt response. I can now happily resume the rest of this awesome build.

I bought set somewhere in autumn. Now building.

I was excited building, it was really interesting. Chiron f.i. was not like that.

And then I got to this

800x592.jpg

I knew, that some conntectors have different color, I was ready for that, but was not ready, that the same parts will also differ in color (in picture left and right).

It seems also, that some liftarms 13L and 11L (on the roof) also are different color. Not so visible as for those parts in headrest.

Lego has lost somwhere its quality control. Not only for siān, it is only on ducati, some connectors ar not red, they ar brownish red.

Also, in instruction manual there are at least two mistakes. In one place it is something like sww trough, or that axle is over everything, despite it had to be inside other parts. Then in one palce in one step I add axle/pin connector, in whole picture later it is missing.

After that headrest I'm not enjoing build anymore, as I'm just thinking, how bad this is.

I'm not sure what's going on with the color issue, but I saw one on display at the store and there was no color inconsistency or anything like that...

On 12/27/2020 at 9:51 PM, JintaiZ said:

I'm not sure what's going on with the color issue, but I saw one on display at the store and there was no color inconsistency or anything like that...

It was the chosen one :pir-wink:

Regarding the colour inconsistency problem: I know someone with a cheap Chinese clone of this model, and it has no colour issues at all between the lime green parts. Even the flex axles match the lime green panels. So it can be done 

If a clone company can get it right, I hope Lego pulls up their socks for future models!

@ArtemyZotov, @Jurss did you contact Lego CS? If you will, please share their response - still waiting to buy Sian myself. I am still waiting for their reply on Fiat 500, 2x2 sloped pieces. Waiting since 18th of December, after I did send them pictures.

10 hours ago, beach_dr said:

Regarding the colour inconsistency problem: I know someone with a cheap Chinese clone of this model, and it has no colour issues at all between the lime green parts. Even the flex axles match the lime green panels. So it can be done 

If a clone company can get it right, I hope Lego pulls up their socks for future models!

And lego ask 3-4x the price..

This set is pretty embarrasing, im looking at alternatives from cada (completely legit) instead

4 hours ago, Jurss said:

Do You think they will sned me whole new set? As that is only option.

Of course not lol

On 1/9/2021 at 6:46 PM, Jurss said:

Do You think they will sned me whole new set? As that is only option.

If you will not let them know that you are not satisfied, how they supposed understand that they are doing not enough? Send them pictures, ask for official statement, post it here. If there will be enough "bad" PR on this, they will have to make some changes. We have to expect from Lego the best for this price, not a freaking maze with multiple shades of lime. Personally I am reporting each and one issue I have with their sets and so far i did receive new parts which are free of problems. However I do not have the Sian yet, on purpose - nobody was able to present here the Lego reply on the colour issue when they did report it. If any of you did report it to them.

@blondasek OK, got Yout point, You are right. Wrote e-mail to lego, as in those forms on lego.com I can't add pictures. Hopefully someone reads them.

2 hours ago, blondasek said:

If you will not let them know that you are not satisfied, how they supposed understand that they are doing not enough? Send them pictures, ask for official statement, post it here. If there will be enough "bad" PR on this, they will have to make some changes. We have to expect from Lego the best for this price, not a freaking maze with multiple shades of lime. Personally I am reporting each and one issue I have with their sets and so far i did receive new parts which are free of problems. However I do not have the Sian yet, on purpose - nobody was able to present here the Lego reply on the colour issue when they did report it. If any of you did report it to them.

Lego knowingly lowered the quality standards on this set to keep production going though, it is a known issue, and they still decided to sell it as is. Considering the massive amounts of sets they've probably sold, i doubt they are going to walk back on that and try to fix this, especially given that not everyone has problems with the same parts, and it isnt even guaranteed that the right colour replacement parts for one customer are also right for the next customer...

By all means, voice your concerns and dissatisfaction to lego, it is the only way they can be pushed to change and improve, but i wouldnt expect the sian to get fixed, especially ones already sold. Once lego gets a grip on their production lines post-corona they could perhaps fix the colour and produce new correct Sians, but even then buying one is going to be a gamble. One possible fix would be bringing out a set-revision with a different, easier to get correct colour, and perhaps sell conversion kits at a discount to current owners. It is also quite shame that lego keeps trickling in new parts on these sets every time, since there is no way to recolour the Sian on your own right now, given the unique panels.

Edited by vectormatic

3 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Lego knowingly lowered the quality standards on this set to keep production going though, it is a known issue, and they still decided to sell it as is.

Do you have any source on that?

Just now, AVCampos said:

Do you have any source on that? 

There was a lego presentation linked somewhere earlier in this topic, basically lego has an acceptable range of colour variation they usually work within, and this range tends to be nearly invisible to customers. For the Sian they allowed more variations due to production difficulty due to corona.

IMHO, lego has been making some dubious decisions lately, this colour issue on one of their super high end sets, the osprey debacle, and then there are some technical design choices such as the inconsistent and mysterious driveline problems on the defender etc.. And while i absolutely loved building a big set like the 911 and Chiron, and would love more of those experiences, i find it very hard to keep any enthusiasm for the brand. I actually bought the defender, excited to get a cool 2700 part build with a nearly chiron level driveline, but couldnt get the damn thing to run properly, despite checking every single gearmesh, axle, u-joint allignment etc..

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

@blondasek OK, got Yout point, You are right. Wrote e-mail to lego, as in those forms on lego.com I can't add pictures. Hopefully someone reads them.

You will be able to send them pictures and a video as well if needed when they will reply. Prepare the box pictures (label with a few digits, numbers and letters - production serial number). That is how I have got a replacement parts for Ducatti (5 out of 8 pins with axle were dark red instead of red) and I am expecting a reply on Fiat 500.

@vectormatic I would let myself to disagree in terms of lowering the quality. The problem is not due to the Covid, but rather the change of the way how they are preparing the plastic pastils with colours. That is the biggest problem and they have to modify it. Somehow parts from Denmark are usually close to perfection in terms of the colour, where the parts from Hungary are very often faulty. I do understand that there is a huge gap in quantity, but still - I do not care for this price about that. I do not expect them to change the procedures completely, but looking on the pictures here I see that new batches have problems with different parts - even within the same parts. That is below any standards and they are basically stretching the line too much. Sian will be produced for at least 20 more months, there is still plenty of time to correct it. Anyway most of the people will not come back to Lego asking for a replacement (which is bad) so they should not have a problem to replace some parts for everyone who already bought the product.

Aaand that is everything from me. I do advise everyone who has that model to contact Lego (and post here their reply!) and I am asking everyone who will buy this in the future, to post the pictures here to determine if TLG is doing anything to make it better.

Have a nice week! :)

Edited by blondasek

This color inconsistency was especially funny when I looked at some different lime toys from totally different sources and manufacturers. The difference was smaller than the differences I saw on the images. I don't have the real Sian, for the record.

41 minutes ago, blondasek said:

You will be able to send them pictures and a video as well if needed when they will reply.

If there will be no response during week, then I'll go that way.

Edited by Jurss

I got my sian for Christmas and I've noticed at least 5 missing pieces and some pieces that weren't used in one box ended up being used in the next box and I'm not talking about just pannels and flex rods I mean pieces in numbered bags. was wondering if anyone else had this problem 

Unfortunate to see the color issue is still affecting the modern sets to this degree. The different colors for the same parts also surprised me, though mine was an earlier set (late July).  For the 1 x 2 beams got like 3-4 different shades of lime.

The only workaround of sorts for the color issue is to basically open up all remaining bags with lime pieces once you get to the chair building steps, arrange them by type and then further arrange them by color variance. You'll then have to mix and match the best you can, keeping in mind what parts come next to the printed pieces and keep aside those best matching. Or, if you've just started building, replace the lime pieces from the underside and chassis with black/gray ones so that you have more spares to mix and match by the time the body needs building.

Longer term solution would probably be to buy sets or separate lime pieces and exchange them on the Sian one by one, until they're all mostly the same.

I just got one of the latest release sets direct from Lego and the color problem still exists.  While some panels have extremely small differences (definitely within tolerance) some of the connectors around the model and the small panels on the spoiler are a completely different shade of green.  Still an enjoyable model and hopefully I get the replacements I requested and they pull them from a good batch.