Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

2 minutes ago, bluedog1111 said:

Thanks for clearing that up.

No worries; I went ahead and edited my initial (very brief) post for clarity, but I'm glad to help out. :)

2 hours ago, Modal said:

I’m really hoping that with the instructions for this set that someone better at MOC’ing does some of the other popular stores. I doubt we will get more than Gringotts and B&B officially.

My local Lego store has 14 in stock now and getting 18 more tomorrow, so I should be good! Since it’s curbside pickup I don’t have to wait in line either, it’s just first come first serve on the phone. A little nerve wracking but shouldn’t be a problem with that many sets.

Curbside is the issue here for me. My closest store is an hour & a half away, and without knowing where I am in line...I’m going to just order it on S@H. I don’t want to miss out on it over a phone call. 

2 hours ago, 8fifty said:

You guys make me so happy cause it's great to know that I'm not the only one who is ridiculously impatient with such things like Lego sets ? 

Just as a little side note, after the first hours of being on sale in several countries, DA is already sold out in South Korea but still available in Australia and New Zealand. 

I’m terrible. I’m a pretty patient person...unless I’m waiting for LEGO. I check my tracking page more times than is necessary every day. Whenever I hear or see the delivery truck, even though I know it’s not my day, I get both excited & disappointed. 

2 hours ago, Bowtruckle44 said:

So when it releases at midnight (for the US at least) will the GWP be included as well? And does it also apply to different time zones in the US like how for some people I'll release at 9? I've never done one of these midnight buys before so I'm really anxious and curious on how it'll turn out

Back when that blue hot rod was the GWP I ordered at 9PM(where the site clocked midnight) & I got it. 

how long do you guys think the set will take to sell out online. I hope that its still in stock buy 11:30 am tomorrow, just in case I dont end up getting it at the Lego store (fingers crossed I do)

Edited by Surge

1 minute ago, Surge said:

how long do you guys think the set will take to sell out online. I hope that its still in stock buy 11:30 am tomorrow, just in case I dont end up getting it at the Lego store (fingers crossed I do)

It’s such a toss up. I thought for sure the NES would sell out fast, but it didn’t until later that day(or it may have been the next). But, the Grand Piano sold out in about 15 minutes, I believe.

14 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

I’m terrible. I’m a pretty patient person...unless I’m waiting for LEGO. I check my tracking page more times than is necessary every day. Whenever I hear or see the delivery truck, even though I know it’s not my day, I get both excited & disappointed. 

This is extremely relatable :grin:

On 8/28/2020 at 9:16 AM, B2Brixet said:

??? The set clearly isn’t designed to be back to back, it would look awful.    They added the connectors to give options, hardly a great deal of effort.

The similarity in size between 1st/3rd and 2nd/4th is just because of the baseplates. They obviously wanted 4 modules, 1 per base plate. With 6 shops (not counting the DP door and entrance to KA) that meant two would fill a base plate each and 4 would share 2 base plates. QQS and WWW are portrayed as bigger shops in the films so they got a base plate each. This then forced QQS to fill a base plate which may explain why it seems slightly larger than it perhaps ideally would. But we’re into the constraints of designing and building in Lego here, nothing more.

It is interesting to read about all the theories behind the design, appeal to girls, display back to back etc. when it seems obvious to me it’s just based on the films.

I’m trying to work out where to display this. Looks like the best bet will be a book shelf so hoping the depth is no more than 20cm. Do we know what the depth is? A 16x32 baseplate would be 13cm but looks like the stairs come back beyond the baseplate.

5 hours ago, B2Brixet said:

How about I admit to being a bit wrong? ? The connectors were there to give people options so I never said they couldn’t be placed back to back. I was wrong about it appearing back to back in the promo shots though. 100% stand by my main points that I don’t understand why anyone would want to and it looks awful.

Anyway the set looks even better in the official release and I can’t wait to build and display it (not back to back obviously!!!)

Edit: stupid fat fingers, quotes the wrong post.

Seems like you may be guilty of trying to revise history a little bit.  Last week when I posted that the designer went to a great deal of trouble to design the set for either display in linear fashion or in back to back fashion for those with display space limitations or those who just prefer closed structures you posted the first quote above.

As to why one might display the set back to back I can only speak for myself but once again for emphasis: I don't have a three foot x  six inch display cabinet but I do have a 28 inch x 13 inch one which will accommodate the thing nicely.  Additionally, I prefer the look of enclosed structures and think Diagon Alley back to back will show nicely along with my modular collection. 

As they say, different strokes for different strokes but in my humble opinion saying putting the buildings back to back converts a great looking set into an awful looking one is more than a little hyperbolic.

Edited by Friscorays

Just ordered mine (alongside the student pack). DA was available 4 minutes before midnight so those 4 minutes waiting for the GWP were hell :tongue:

I ordered a few minutes before midnight without the GWP but it's now available since midnight. I'll keep an eye on the shop how long DA will be available over here ?

21 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

It’s such a toss up. I thought for sure the NES would sell out fast, but it didn’t until later that day(or it may have been the next). But, the Grand Piano sold out in about 15 minutes, I believe.

The Grand Piano sold out in like 30 min but it was on backorder until the next morning.

Edited by YetiZombie

Available a whole hour before in the UK. Don't think I've ever seen a set go live that early. But no GWP yet so a no go. Why would you do this Lego! Why! If it sells out before midnight I'm out. :wall:

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

Dangit, no GWP for me :sceptic: Bricklink away...

I would just cancel the order and make a new one or call the client service tomorrow :)

Just now, Lfm55 said:

I would just cancel the order and make a new one or call the client service tomorrow :)

Meh, not gonna risk it :tongue: But thanks for the suggestions! :thumbup:

6 hours ago, Juturna said:

Jesus Christ. How much was the $799 Millenium falcon in Aus?

It was $1,299.00.

2 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Available a whole hour before in the UK. Don't think I've ever seen a set go live that early. But no GWP yet so a no go. Why would you do this Lego! Why! If it sells out before midnight I'm out. :wall:

It's 8:10am on Sept 1st here in Australia and it's still avaliable on S@H.    I am partially regretting letting my Mum know about it cause it's now my Christmas present cause I really want the Brickheadz, but no idea if Mum is planning on buying it direct or not :laugh: (but also really grateful I've got parents who indulge my Lego love and obession even at 33 years old)

Just now, chris6507 said:

It was $1,299.00.

Converted in USD, the Australian prices are very expensive, but if you translate to EUR it's almost the same amount ?

9 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Just ordered mine (alongside the student pack). DA was available 4 minutes before midnight so those 4 minutes waiting for the GWP were hell :tongue:

Same, although without the student pack. :P

Edited by Salix

Whaat, i ordered but, it doesent show up in my "order status" page, is that normal? still havent got a email either, but the money is on hold from my card..