Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, LEGOMotionStudios said:

What’s your source on this? I haven’t heard any updates on the US releases.

Those dates we're listed on S@H for some time. Don't put any weight on it though, it looks like all US releases have been pushed back a while

I just realized that Diagon Alley is probably going to come in a big black box with "18+" on it.  That really makes me mad.  Obviously it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it's one of the cringier things The LEGO Group has done recently.  I feel like they're trying to make extra money off of the pandemic by marketing all expensive LEGO products as stress-relieving "projects" exclusively for adults.  I think they are first and foremost toys (whatever Will Ferrell's character might say in The LEGO Movie), and I've never seen any problem with adults playing with toys.

1 hour ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Out of interest, I know it’s a long way off, but what do people think the next D2C will be (2022)?  I feel like Hogwarts Express is likely.

I think we’re almost guaranteed to get a D2C Hogsmeade set next. While it may not have been a prominently featured location in the films, it is the original setting of the Wizarding World at Universal Studios, which (at least here in the US) has become the most iconic Harry Potter setting after Hogwarts. I imagine it will feature Honeydukes, The Three Broomsticks, the Hog’s Head Tavern, and the Shrieking Shack - all covered in snow. 

14 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

I just realized that Diagon Alley is probably going to come in a big black box with "18+" on it.  That really makes me mad.  Obviously it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it's one of the cringier things The LEGO Group has done recently.  I feel like they're trying to make extra money off of the pandemic by marketing all expensive LEGO products as stress-relieving "projects" exclusively for adults.  I think they are first and foremost toys (whatever Will Ferrell's character might say in The LEGO Movie), and I've never seen any problem with adults playing with toys.

I don't know I kinda like the black boxes? Though having a Harry Potter set in that style may feel a bit "off". I don't mind it for more model-like sets though.

3 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

If they put such a potentially colourful set in a black box then I would be disappointed, although honestly, I'm more interested in what they do with the set than the box. After spending so much time stressing about boxes arriving in good condition when delivered, and then fretting about where and how to store, I finally decided to part with my boxes a few months ago; as much as I think the HP boxes are some of the best Lego box art and I know discarding boxes is not for everyone, I came to the thinking that it is just cardboard at the end of the day and it causing me so much stress/anxiety is pointless (no this wasn't a lockdown epiphany, but just before the pandemic). It honestly made getting the 2020 sets so less stressful - when a set came in the post and the box was a little dented and a family member pointed it out, it felt good to be able to just wave it away and say 'yeah it doesn't matter.'  Like you say though, the black 'adult' box art is quite cringey, at least outside of say architecture sets I think, and it would take all the fun out of what I'm imagining should (and hopefully will be) a very colourful box art. Ironically, whilst I think Lego made the decision to switch to the black box art before the pandemic, I actually find the black boxes rather depressing and 'bleak' at the best of times, so I don't think it's actually very good marketing at the moment.

23 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Oof, that's something I hadn't even thought about. @BacktoBricks already pretty much summed up my thoughts on those boxes: they're dark, bleak, empty and most of all kinda depressing.

36 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

I actually kind of liked the way it looked for the Mickey/Minnie D2C that we just saw the box art for. I think with a set like DA, the set will be colorful and "magical" enough to make the box look good despite the dark background.

I really like the black boxes for certain sets, like the Star Wars helmets for example. However, it just looks bad for some sets and it would look horrible for Diagon Alley. I really really hope that Diagon Alley has a more normal style of box art because having such a vibrant street on a black box wouldn’t look good. I shudder to think what Ninjago City would’ve looked like with one of those plain black boxes...

6 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I really like the black boxes for certain sets, like the Star Wars helmets for example. However, it just looks bad for some sets and it would look horrible for Diagon Alley. I really really hope that Diagon Alley has a more normal style of box art because having such a vibrant street on a black box wouldn’t look good. I shudder to think what Ninjago City would’ve looked like with one of those plain black boxes...

Like you say, for the helmets, and some Star Wars sets like the ISD that are meant to be in space, I think it works fine. However, what I love about HP (and the feeling that putting all the Lego sets together creates) is that there is a whole vivid and expansive world to immerse yourself in. But if you take a set and put it against a black box art, you are essentially containing it in a black void and it evokes the complete opposite feelings of vivid or expansive. 

52 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

If they put such a potentially colourful set in a black box then I would be disappointed, although honestly, I'm more interested in what they do with the set than the box. After spending so much time stressing about boxes arriving in good condition when delivered, and then fretting about where and how to store, I finally decided to part with my boxes a few months ago; as much as I think the HP boxes are some of the best Lego box art and I know discarding boxes is not for everyone, I came to the thinking that it is just cardboard at the end of the day and it causing me so much stress/anxiety is pointless (no this wasn't a lockdown epiphany, but just before the pandemic). It honestly made getting the 2020 sets so less stressful - when a set came in the post and the box was a little dented and a family member pointed it out, it felt good to be able to just wave it away and say 'yeah it doesn't matter.' 

I actually recycle all my boxes too (I could make back some money selling them on Bricklink, though).  But as most of us seem to agree, the new “adult” boxes are so...lifeless.  When I bought the A-Wing this past May the Fourth, I was seriously put off by the box art.  The box isn’t just a collector’s item, it’s what everyone sees first when they see a set on a store shelf.  IMO, every aspect of Diagon Alley should look magical. 

Edit: @BacktoBricks You beat me to it again!  Childlike nostalgia and that sense of wide-eyed wonder are what got me back into HP! 

Edited by RogueTwo

57 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I think we’re almost guaranteed to get a D2C Hogsmeade set next. While it may not have been a prominently featured location in the films, it is the original setting of the Wizarding World at Universal Studios, which (at least here in the US) has become the most iconic Harry Potter setting after Hogwarts. I imagine it will feature Honeydukes, The Three Broomsticks, the Hog’s Head Tavern, and the Shrieking Shack - all covered in snow. 

I agree. Hogsmeade is definitely my first choice for a D2C if we get another one. And it might be the only location left on a scale large enough for a D2C as well (although I think it should still probably come in at a lower price point than Hogwarts or DA). It would also be a great opportunity to give us some generic students in winter gear. Plus it’s the only way we’re getting Rosmerta and would significantly increase our chances of getting Aberforth as well. 

6 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

I agree. Hogsmeade is definitely my first choice for a D2C if we get another one. And it might be the only location left on a scale large enough for a D2C as well (although I think it should still probably come in at a lower price point than Hogwarts or DA). It would also be a great opportunity to give us some generic students in winter gear. Plus it’s the only way we’re getting Rosmerta and would significantly increase our chances of getting Aberforth as well. 

I also agree.  Hogsmeade seems incredibly likely to me, either for 2022, or maybe even next year, if this line continues to be a powerhouse.  Not only would the minifigures be great, we could also be guaranteed a Shrieking Shack remake, which seems unlikely as a standalone set, since the only minifigure that hasn't been released is werewolf Lupin, who could show up either as a promotional figure or CMF.  I sincerely hope we don't get another D2C next year, though...my wallet will need some breathing room!  :laugh:

Edited by RogueTwo

I could see a Hogsmeade D2C being similar to Diagon Alley and I don’t think the price would be much lower. The “big 3” buildings of Hogsmeade are the Shrieking Shack, The Three Broomsticks, and The Hog’s Head (at least to me). Honeydukes is a must as well, and including Zonko’s would be great. I hope there is a microscale Hogsmeade GWP this year even though kingnono was a liar, as that would be awesome! I really can’t wait to see Diagon Alley and hope it lives up to our expectations!

2 hours ago, LEGOMotionStudios said:

What’s your source on this? I haven’t heard any updates on the US releases.

Yeah, what @Guyon2002 said.

55 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

I also agree.  Hogsmeade seems incredibly likely to me, either for 2022, or maybe even next year, if this line continues to be a powerhouse.  Not only would the minifigures be great, we could also be guaranteed a Shrieking Shack remake, which seems unlikely as a standalone set, since the only minifigure that hasn't been released is werewolf Lupin, who could show up either as a promotional figure or CMF.  I sincerely hope we don't get another D2C next year, though...my wallet will need some breathing room!  :laugh:

I actually think a Shrieking Shack remake is fairly likely, especially considering by the time they'll be able to do one (2022 and onwards) the PoA sets will be off shelves. Meaning besides having an exclusive Werewolf Lupin the SS would also be the only way (excluding Bricklink ofc) for fans who missed out to get their hands on characters like PoA Harry, Hermione, Ron and Sirius.

24 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I could see a Hogsmeade D2C being similar to Diagon Alley and I don’t think the price would be much lower. The “big 3” buildings of Hogsmeade are the Shrieking Shack, The Three Broomsticks, and The Hog’s Head (at least to me). Honeydukes is a must as well, and including Zonko’s would be great. I hope there is a microscale Hogsmeade GWP this year even though kingnono was a liar, as that would be awesome! I really can’t wait to see Diagon Alley and hope it lives up to our expectations!

In terms of size it's definetely possible but I personally wouldn't classify Hogsmeade in the category of things a lot of people would be willing to spend $400 on.

Hm, I never really thought about the box art, but if the set’s 18+, it’s definitely going to be the new style and at 400$, it’s hard to imagine it as anything but 18+ :sceptic: I agree with the consensus here, the new style looks great for some sets like the A-Wing or the recently revealed Mickey & Minnie set, but less so for others (Haunted House)

I just got my sets from Zavvi, and one thing I really love while building the Forbidden Forest is the teal hot dog piece to connect the mushroom top to the tree! I really love these tiny tree builds they do every year, same thing last year with the Expecto Patronum. 

9 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Hm, I never really thought about the box art, but if the set’s 18+, it’s definitely going to be the new style and at 400$, it’s hard to imagine it as anything but 18+ :sceptic: I agree with the consensus here, the new style looks great for some sets like the A-Wing or the recently revealed Mickey & Minnie set, but less so for others (Haunted House)

I feel like a giant set like Diagon Alley would look MUCH better with a box that has some background to make the set stand out. It would add this unique climate. 

On 6/11/2020 at 5:28 PM, teos said:

I just purchased 4 sets from Zavvi (for the 1st time), so I'll keep this thread updated.  I think it said 2-4 days for delivery, but I could be wrong.

Shipping was $9.99 total (plus USA sales tax) for:

Room of Requirement

Privet drive

Grawp set

Jurassic baby dinos set

The Zavvi order arrived.  DHL was a little wonky, but I'm still very pleased.  I think this is a great option for those of us in the USA.

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

In terms of size it's definetely possible but I personally wouldn't classify Hogsmeade in the category of things a lot of people would be willing to spend $400 on.

I think you’re underestimating the influence of the US market. Hogsmeade is the most popular setting in the Wizarding World here, second only to Hogwarts itself.

Before covid-19, you couldn’t turn on American TV without seeing a commercial for Universal Studios featuring the beautiful angular snow-covered rooftops of Hogsmeade. Merchandising based on the village is crazy popular, too.

The most popular right now is probably the Bradford Exchange illuminated Hogsmeade Christmas village, which resales for big bucks and features Three Broomsticks, Honeydukes, the Hogsmeade Train Station, the Shrieking Shack, and Hogwarts. Some of these pieces are incredibly hard to find. 

Americans have come to associate Hogsmeade more with happy memories of family vacations and less with the books and films themselves. It appeals to a very wide audience. I think a Hogsmeade D2C would sell like hot cakes.

Here is a link to the Bradford Exchange sets:

https://www.bradfordexchange.com/products/918041_harry-potter-village-collection.html

Personally, I am much more excited about the Department 56 Hogsmeade sets which are coming out next month:

1894e623cdce490e9cb065166bd03257xl.jpg

Edited by sebastian666

5 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

I’m not so sure it will. For a start it’s a Harry Potter set and never would have been under Creator Expert (although then there is the Star Wars one). And also, I don’t believe they’re gonna do that with everything. Take the Winter Village sets - firstly they’re not even 16+ let alone gonna be 18+. And secondly surely there’s no way they’d give a Christmas set a black background? And yet they’re still Creator Expert. I feel people may be (through entirely Lego’s miscommunication) Reading too much into them saying that they’re rebranding all of Creator Expert.

Something I’m excited for though (which would be the case regardless of whether DA is an old-branding 16+ set or a new-branding 18+ set) is that this is gonna be our first minifig scale Harry Potter set with the sort of advanced building techniques and level of detail You get in D2Cs. As much as I love the HP range, there are some parts that I feel could have benefitted from being more challenging - be it more interior detail or just more elaborate, uniquely shaped builds and fewer big pieces.

Everything is back in stock on the AUS website except burrow and student pack for any Aussies needing to know! :-)