Captain Nemo

LEGO Videogame Tie-Ins - Rumors & Discussion

Microsoft buyout went through, so I suppose that's one barrier to Overwatch removed, but I wouldn't bet on sets again right now, to be honest.

On 10/14/2023 at 6:01 PM, Brickroll said:

Microsoft buyout went through, so I suppose that's one barrier to Overwatch removed, but I wouldn't bet on sets again right now, to be honest.

And since Mega Brands has had a history with Microsoft and Halo, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mega picks up the Overwatch license.

3 hours ago, Karalora said:

Wow, I hadn't heard. I wish this had been animated rather than live action, but oh well, any Zelda is better than no Zelda.

But adaptation aside, I hope we get the Great Deku Tree reveal soon.

3 hours ago, Karalora said:

Can I play Link? I don't have much acting experience but I've decided I want to quit my job and apply for drama school ( well apply for drama school and only quit my job if I get in, I'm not stupid)

19 minutes ago, Mandalore_The_Indomitable said:

But adaptation aside, I hope we get the Great Deku Tree reveal soon.

I feel like, with  all the news of the other survey sets, it's only a matter of time.

I still think they could reveal it in a Nintendo direct, do we know when the next one of those is? ( not that I think they'd reveal it this year, as I think we'd have heard more if it was coming out early 2024, so if it's not coming out till late 2024 I doubt they'd reveal it in 2023).

8 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Can I play Link? I don't have much acting experience but I've decided I want to quit my job and apply for drama school ( well apply for drama school and only quit my job if I get in, I'm not stupid)

How's your "HYAAAHHH!"?

On 11/8/2023 at 8:58 AM, Agent Kallus said:

If you're serious about wanting to act, your best bet is to get yourself on Mandy and possibly Spotlight (can't remember if they accept unrepresented actors or not) and do as many open auditions/student films as you possibly can to build up a showreel. Maybe look into SA organisations as well, if nothing else being an SA for a few days would get you on-set experience and the chance to nab some craftie hot chocolate. Eventually you'd want to be getting an agent, but I don't know the process there.

Drama school is a plus of course (especially if you can get into RADA or Italia Conti or something) but definitely not a necessity.

(Oh, and prepare for a long time not being able to afford much Lego; actors trying to break into the industry are often not flush with cash to begin with!)

LEGO Fortnite still planned for December it seems, as current "OG" season is only 1 month, ending December 2,  and the original LEGO fortnite was rumoured to launch somewhere around Chapter 5 launch (patch 27.00 was also very big, and had a notice it was bigger file size compared to usual)

So far info seems to indicate it's like a seperate game mode entirely, with a LEGO procedural world like minecraft , building, and combat / levels, so probably RPG elements, but all within Fortnite.

But would not surprise me if the new Chapter 5 island will also have some LEGO zone and perhaps LEGO cosmetics/emotes/sprays in Battlepass/Shop (as that's their main money maker)

Edited by TeriXeri

9 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

If you're serious about wanting to act, your best bet is to get yourself on Mandy and possibly Spotlight (can'ti  remember if they accept unrepresented actors or not) and do as many open auditions/student films as you possibly can to build up a showreel. Maybe look into SA organisations as well, if nothing else being an SA for a few days would get you on-set experience and the chance to nab some craftie hot chocolate. Eventually you'd want to be getting an agent, but I don't know the process there.

Drama school is a plus of course (especially if you can get into RADA or Italia Conti or something) but definitely not a necessity.

(Oh, and prepare for a long time not being able to afford much Lego; actors trying to break into the industry are often not flush with cash to begin with!)

I am serious ( well not in general but about this), so I thank you for you advice. 

( though that last paragraph is a little scary :tongue:)

9 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

LEGO Fortnite still planned for December it seems, as current "OG" season is only 1 month, ending December 2,  and the original LEGO fortnite was rumoured to launch somewhere around Chapter 5 launch (patch 27.00 was also very big, and had a notice it was bigger file size compared to usual)

So far info seems to indicate it's like a seperate game mode entirely, with a LEGO procedural world like minecraft , building, and combat / levels, so probably RPG elements, but all within Fortnite.

But would not surprise me if the new Chapter 5 island will also have some LEGO zone and perhaps LEGO cosmetics/emotes/sprays in Battlepass/Shop (as that's their main money maker)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was more of a case of Lego in Fortnite not Fortnite in Lego?

4 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I am serious ( well not in general but about this), so I thank you for you advice. 

( though that last paragraph is a little scary :tongue:)

If it helps, the problems will likely be the same as people on the other side of the camera at the low end. The actual work itself pays just fine; the difficulty early on is in getting consistent work. I work in the production side of it, still entry level, and the daily rate is easily livable on even in London. The catch comes when you finish a job and can't get another for months!

I would definitely not recommend moving to London if you're not already based there, unless you get into a drama school or you have some other reason to move (as in: don't just go to London speculatively because there are more acting gigs there) until you have at least a few pieces in your showreel. There are more acting jobs, but there are also more actors who want them. I don't know exactly where you're based, but if you can get yourself in a position where you can easily travel to Cardiff, Bristol or Salisbury for a week's work, you're in a great spot to start out - there's less major production in Cardiff and Bristol but there's plenty going, and Salisbury is home to one of the best film universities in the UK - they are always on the lookout for actors there, and from experience I know that students there tend to reuse their favourite actors for all three years of their course. (And also get into the industry; it never hurts to have working relationships with people who are in a position to give you a job.) The big jobs are usually London-based, but they'll usually at least cover your accommodation fees.

But yeah. Certainly don't get pound signs in your eyes the first time you get paid for the work and blow it all on Lego like I did.

I wonder what the Zelda movie means for a potential Lego Zelda theme. It's still a ways off, but I suppose we could end up getting sets based on it whenever it releases, especially if Zelda has become a regular theme by then (though who knows if that's happening). 

3 hours ago, Meaf said:

I wonder what the Zelda movie means for a potential Lego Zelda theme. It's still a ways off, but I suppose we could end up getting sets based on it whenever it releases, especially if Zelda has become a regular theme by then (though who knows if that's happening). 

It's really interesting to consider in the context of the Mario theme, which I think must be construed as a tie-in for the movie even though the sets aren't directly related to the movie's plot. It's almost a meta-tie-in, promoting hype for the IP well ahead of the movie's release, rather than for the movie itself, but I think the synergy was there--Nintendo and LEGO playing the long game. Might we expect something similar for Zelda? (Please?)

20 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

If it helps, the problems will likely be the same as people on the other side of the camera at the low end. The actual work itself pays just fine; the difficulty early on is in getting consistent work. I work in the production side of it, still entry level, and the daily rate is easily livable on even in London. The catch comes when you finish a job and can't get another for months!

I would definitely not recommend moving to London if you're not already based there, unless you get into a drama school or you have some other reason to move (as in: don't just go to London speculatively because there are more acting gigs there) until you have at least a few pieces in your showreel. There are more acting jobs, but there are also more actors who want them. I don't know exactly where you're based, but if you can get yourself in a position where you can easily travel to Cardiff, Bristol or Salisbury for a week's work, you're in a great spot to start out - there's less major production in Cardiff and Bristol but there's plenty going, and Salisbury is home to one of the best film universities in the UK - they are always on the lookout for actors there, and from experience I know that students there tend to reuse their favourite actors for all three years of their course. (And also get into the industry; it never hurts to have working relationships with people who are in a position to give you a job.) The big jobs are usually London-based, but they'll usually at least cover your accommodation fees.

But yeah. Certainly don't get pound signs in your eyes the first time you get paid for the work and blow it all on Lego like I did.

That all sounds rather good, as I am based in Bristol, but Cardiff is easy enough to get to ( That's why my location is listed as 'almost Wales' not because I'm on the border but because when I made my account, about 8 years ago, Cardiff's was the closest Lego shop to me, but Bristol does have it's own now.) I have done a few days working as an SA in cardiff, it's what convinced me that  a career in drama might actually be attainable. But looking into it, it is all quite over whelming so I am genuinely appreciative of your advice.

12 hours ago, Karalora said:

It's really interesting to consider in the context of the Mario theme, which I think must be construed as a tie-in for the movie even though the sets aren't directly related to the movie's plot. It's almost a meta-tie-in, promoting hype for the IP well ahead of the movie's release, rather than for the movie itself, but I think the synergy was there--Nintendo and LEGO playing the long game. Might we expect something similar for Zelda? (Please?)

The Deku tree feels inevitable now (to me at least) , so the big question now is whether or not it'll be a one off or part of a new line.

The Mario line started 3 years before the movie came out, but I reckon the Zelda movie is more than 3 years away from now. another problem is that Zelda games are much more individual than Mario games, so if they were starting a line because a movie is coming (but not yet based on said movie) then they'd need to choose what to base it on megablocks there is no generic Zelda at least not to the extent of generic Mario.

I imagine that the next Zelda game after TotK will not be another direct sequel and so will be another new different iteration of the franchise, but that will likely be years away. They seem to have missed the opportunity to really capitalise on the BotW and TotK hype (though better late than never), hopefully they won't miss the next game.

On 11/8/2023 at 5:33 PM, Karalora said:

How's your "HYAAAHHH!"?

Needs work, to be honest.

4 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

The Mario line started 3 years before the movie came out, but I reckon the Zelda movie is more than 3 years away from now. another problem is that Zelda games are much more individual than Mario games, so if they were starting a line because a movie is coming (but not yet based on said movie) then they'd need to choose what to base it on megablocks there is no generic Zelda at least not to the extent of generic Mario.

Yeah, this is something I think I mentioned (much) earlier in the thread--Mario exists in a sort of eternal present, whereas each Zelda game is a self-contained unique entity. To me, the ideal Zelda theme would consist of two sub-themes--a line of display sets based on iconic things, scenes, or moments from individual games (the Great Deku Tree, King of Red Lions, drawing the Master Sword, etc.), and a line of playsets that are more generic, not precisely mimicking any single game but using elements that are common to several, like recurring boss monsters, dungeon puzzles/traps, fantasy people like the Gorons and Zoras, etc. Many things would have to be redesigned to fit into the LEGO aesthetic anyway, so it could become its own installment of the LoZ franchise.

5 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

That all sounds rather good, as I am based in Bristol, but Cardiff is easy enough to get to ( That's why my location is listed as 'almost Wales' not because I'm on the border but because when I made my account, about 8 years ago, Cardiff's was the closest Lego shop to me, but Bristol does have it's own now.) I have done a few days working as an SA in cardiff, it's what convinced me that  a career in drama might actually be attainable. But looking into it, it is all quite over whelming so I am genuinely appreciative of your advice.

No problem, I don't want to derail the thread any further but if you ever want to discuss anything else I'm happy for you to DM me :pir-wench:

To keep things on topic: I've never played a Zelda game myself. Is it a series with specific characters who would presumably be turned into minifigures, or something where the player's character is unique from player to player?

4 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

No problem, I don't want to derail the thread any further but if you ever want to discuss anything else I'm happy for you to DM me :pir-wench:

To keep things on topic: I've never played a Zelda game myself. Is it a series with specific characters who would presumably be turned into minifigures, or something where the player's character is unique from player to player?

Zelda games mostly don't have character customization—some of the games allow you to rename Link, or have alternate outfits that you can equip for various purposes, but that's pretty much it. Zelda games tend to have fairly robust stories (at least compared to something like Mario), usually focused on different versions of recurring characters like Link (the main hero), Zelda (the magical princess), and Ganon/Ganondorf (the evil warlord/sorceror).

1 minute ago, Lyichir said:

Zelda games mostly don't have character customization—some of the games allow you to rename Link, or have alternate outfits that you can equip for various purposes, but that's pretty much it. Zelda games tend to have fairly robust stories (at least compared to something like Mario), usually focused on different versions of recurring characters like Link (the main hero), Zelda (the magical princess), and Ganon/Ganondorf (the evil warlord/sorceror).

Oh so Zelda is an actual character that appears in the series? Lol, that means my interpretation of the story from the title alone was completely wrong!

I assumed Zelda was some sort of mythical sorceress/goddess from a long time ago whose influence was still felt in the world but who didn't exist in it, and the green guy (Link, I presume?) was trying to find her or something. Honestly it sounds like there could be some pretty cool minifigures if those are the archetypes the series uses.

54 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Oh so Zelda is an actual character that appears in the series? Lol, that means my interpretation of the story from the title alone was completely wrong!

I assumed Zelda was some sort of mythical sorceress/goddess from a long time ago whose influence was still felt in the world but who didn't exist in it, and the green guy (Link, I presume?) was trying to find her or something. Honestly it sounds like there could be some pretty cool minifigures if those are the archetypes the series uses.

Your impression isn't ENTIRELY wrong. Many of the games involve Link having to rescue Zelda, and some of the more recent ones have established that she is the reincarnation of the goddess Hylia.

Another aspect of the series that could pose interesting opportunities/challenges for a Lego theme is the fact that, stylistically, the visuals for the series vary wildly. Some of the games, like Wind Waker, have a very cartoony art style, while others like Twilight Princess have a grittier, more realistic (though still highly stylized) look. Adapting these varying visual styles to minifigures could be somewhat of a challenge.

Back in the day I thought the best way to deal with that would be to have a distinct "Lego" reinterpretation of the franchise that didn't adapt any one game in the series directly, but rather established its own version. But given the popularity of the various games in the series, I think most fans would be more interested in a more direct adaptation of some of the various games' icons.

Apart from minifigures, a big part of the series is its gameplay, which combines action/adventure combat with puzzle solving in various dungeons. I hope that sets based on the series would adapt this aspect as well, with physical play features based on the various types of puzzles and traps the games feature. The Mario sets have certainly showcased that Lego has plenty of designers adept at turning digital gameplay mechanics into physical play features.

4 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Apart from minifigures, a big part of the series is its gameplay, which combines action/adventure combat with puzzle solving in various dungeons. I hope that sets based on the series would adapt this aspect as well, with physical play features based on the various types of puzzles and traps the games feature. The Mario sets have certainly showcased that Lego has plenty of designers adept at turning digital gameplay mechanics into physical play features.

I definitely think it'd be interesting to see Lego tackling puzzles to solve in a playset. I imagine a lot of puzzles which work for video games (idk about Zelda specifically) wouldn't work so well when the kids have to physically build them first. (I suppose this could lead to a whole load of younger siblings being fooled by their older siblings' new Lego kit)

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

The character customization point is pretty interesting to think about because while most of them don't, I think the outfits in Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom definitely count. There's sooooooo much potential with the dozens of different outfits Link gets in those games, so I could see Lego delve into that if they start doing a lot of sets.

20 hours ago, Karalora said:

I'm not sure if the Mario sets were necessarily supposed to be a direct tie-in to the movie (as you mentioned in your other comment!), but I think that the move to do Lego sets and movies are both different aspects of Nintendo's drive to become more or less the Disney of video games. It just so happens that Lego already does tons of movie tie-ins, so the whole thing works pretty well and kind of feeds back on itself.

10 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Back in the day I thought the best way to deal with that would be to have a distinct "Lego" reinterpretation of the franchise that didn't adapt any one game in the series directly, but rather established its own version. But given the popularity of the various games in the series, I think most fans would be more interested in a more direct adaptation of some of the various games' icons.

This is why I think the best solution would be two sub-themes within the overall Zelda theme, as I described above.

9 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I definitely think it'd be interesting to see Lego tackling puzzles to solve in a playset. I imagine a lot of puzzles which work for video games (idk about Zelda specifically) wouldn't work so well when the kids have to physically build them first. (I suppose this could lead to a whole load of younger siblings being fooled by their older siblings' new Lego kit)

For a LEGO set I think it would be much less about figuring out the puzzle like you do when playing a Zelda game, and more about portraying the scenario where Link is faced with a puzzle, and the Technic elements in the set enable you to act out the solving of it. They're not complicated puzzles, as a rule--there will be a locked door or other impassable barrier, and a specific task must be completed in order to unlock it or bridge the gap. It's often quite arbitrary, operating by the rules of video game logic.

12 hours ago, Karalora said:

For a LEGO set I think it would be much less about figuring out the puzzle like you do when playing a Zelda game, and more about portraying the scenario where Link is faced with a puzzle, and the Technic elements in the set enable you to act out the solving of it. They're not complicated puzzles, as a rule--there will be a locked door or other impassable barrier, and a specific task must be completed in order to unlock it or bridge the gap. It's often quite arbitrary, operating by the rules of video game logic.

Honestly even that would still be cool if done right. I'm imagining puzzles that are similar to the door traps in Skyrim, where a series of stone columns have to be rotated so that they're displaying the right animals in the right order in order to unlock the door. I've no idea if stuff like this is in Zelda, or if it's even practical to convert to physical form in the limited footprint of a Lego set.

7 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Honestly even that would still be cool if done right. I'm imagining puzzles that are similar to the door traps in Skyrim, where a series of stone columns have to be rotated so that they're displaying the right animals in the right order in order to unlock the door. I've no idea if stuff like this is in Zelda, or if it's even practical to convert to physical form in the limited footprint of a Lego set.

Yeah, they sometimes do the thing where solving the puzzle requires arranging objects the right way. Obviously, the possible complexity depends on the size of the set, but I think it would be possible to use arrays of Technic gears, levers, etc. to create a build where things had to be positioned correctly in order for a door to move.

On 11/10/2023 at 8:39 AM, Agent Kallus said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was more of a case of Lego in Fortnite not Fortnite in Lego?

The more info is known, the more is sounds like it does use the Fortnite engine (and is loaded by installing/loading fortnite), but otherwise is basicly an entirely new LEGO game within the game.

latest info

" - Release Date: December 7th as of now

- You play as an ACTUAL LEGO Character

- Items so far: LEGO Stud Gun, Workbenches, Beds, Fences, Catapults (& Prankster Catapults), Map Markers, Ziplines, Trinkets (Buff Gear / Potions)

- You can mine props (& Ores) around the map and build stuff with a Building tool that has 9 slots (and there's a Creative Mode)

- There will be an "HP System" & "Energy System" - There will be Beds (with Curtains) that you sleep on to regen HP & Energy, and "Sleep Voting" if there's players with you

- There will be "Vendors" that sell items, "Camps" to sleep at, and "Enemies" to fight

- There will be "Crafting", and an Inventory

- Emotes: so far they're making a "Minifig" version of some existing emotes (probably all of them)

- Emotions/Reactions: Sad, Surprised, Worried, Excited, Disgusted, Bored, Angry, Afraid, Laughing (Default, Subdued & Extreme), Greeting (Default, Bored, Excited), Give Item, Take Item, Disagreement, Celebrating, Admiring

- Movement: Sliding, Swimming, Gliding, Flying, Running, Walking, Falling (with Fall Damage) "

Edited by TeriXeri