Fenghuang0296

Army building issue?

So, open question to longer-term Star Wars collectors with big collections; how do you resolve all the different variations of various types of Stormtroopers?
I’m not talking about the difference between, say, Stormtroopers and Shadowtroopers, I’m talking about how every few years LEGO ‘updates’ the standard Stormtrooper design with new helmet, or prints, or both. For long-term collectors and/or army builders, how do you resolve all the little differences between each iteration of what are ostensibly supposed to be identical figures?

Good question.

I never really wanted to have a lot of, or big, armies to display. For me it's primarily the Clone Troopers (phase 1 and 2) and the Imperial Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers & Snowtroopers. 
Of all versions I took the styles I thought are most accurate, which for the clones are the most recent ones and the stormtroopers the kind that was first released (I believe) with the Star Destroyer in 2014.
Those are the ones that are actually displayed in formation, pretty much.

I still own and display older versions of stormtroopers, but they're more spread out, like battle scenes and such. And maybe a bit less in sight :blush:

Hope I've answered your question the way you intended!

Regards,
Mitch

Edited by CF Mitch

I usually try to get a lot of the same at the time they are cheap, then skip a few variations. Then build another squadron when ready. If apart the differences are not so noticeable.

Also, you can try partnering with another person(s). If they want newer versions and you want older, then trade your new versions for their older ones.

I don't think price is that much different between the new and old stormtroopers, so if you're new to army building just choose what you like the most. The best way is probably to start army building the newer ones due to the most chance of them being released in the future. 

For older collectors I think that if they like a newer design they'll probably sell/trade the older versions to get the new unless you have like 100+ troopers, in that case I would probably stick with the old design. You can also, if you already have a decent army, buy the new ones if you really like them and use them for a different MOC or display. 

I started my collection seriously back in 2014; the gap from there to today is not noticable to say, swap the 2014 stormtrooper variant to the 2019 one. Both versions blend somewhat well. 

It's only prior to 2011 that printing style really stands out, Clone wars especially. 

I put them into different companies or platoons. The stormtrooper armor, even the standard one, has some variations both in the movies and in the EU depending from the era and place, so I personally feel it is ok to have differently looking units as long as the units are uniform within themselves. It is a kind of the same idea as with the differently colored clone troopers.

- Samppu

When there is a major change to a figure, as there was with the new dual-molded stormtrooper and biker scout helmets, I generally standardize on the newer version if I can do so without too much expense. When it's a smaller change, like the print revision to the snow trooper torso/legs this year, I mix the old and new together... especially when they're rebels, where a bit of rag-tag is to be expected. For the current stormtroopers, only the helmet changed (the torso and legs remain consistent with the outgoing sw585 version of the figure) so I found a bunch of the new helmets on eBay or Bricklink and upgraded my existing troopers to match the new ones. I also have a friend who is sticking with the 585 version of the stormtrooper, so we agreed to swap helmets so he gets my old helmets and I get the dual-molded helmets from any new sets he buys. Win-win. Any figs who haven't been upgraded get positioned toward the back (or in the shadows) of my set displays, with the newer versions getting more prominent placement.

I’m not too bothered by it, I still group my clones together. I would just differentiate them as a squad/unit/platoon. Like the newer Clones have that line above the visor where the old ones don’t. I could make them a special unit or some such. It is a little irksome though, as they are supposed to be exactly alike. The leg prints bother me a lot less, they’re pretty much hidden when in formation anyways. 

I have over 100 sw0585 (2014 version of stormtrooper) and in my opinion they are better. New helmet is too large, too puffy. 

But I like new version of Scout Trooper. I will buy couple of them when the will be cheaper.