BrickWild

42110 - Land Rover Defender - MODs and Improvements

On 12/7/2021 at 9:18 PM, kenkwong said:

Giving my defender a new look :drool:83D8535C-F48B-414E-AA7A-5BE37985940A.JPG

Hey @kenkwong, great work and to me internals actually do look quite more intriguing than the already impressive exterior... 

May I ask about the orange switching gear - seems to be a central diff lock? I was considering this mod as well, would be great to hear whether you feel any resistance while rolling Defender with central diff locked?

Also, I always had an issue with gearbox in the trunk. Seems that this has been addressed as well and you moved it to the central part - would be great to see some pictures of the drivetrain.

Otherwise great work, thanks for posting!

36 minutes ago, Urbal said:

Hey @kenkwong, great work and to me internals actually do look quite more intriguing than the already impressive exterior... 

May I ask about the orange switching gear - seems to be a central diff lock? I was considering this mod as well, would be great to hear whether you feel any resistance while rolling Defender with central diff locked?

Also, I always had an issue with gearbox in the trunk. Seems that this has been addressed as well and you moved it to the central part - would be great to see some pictures of the drivetrain.

Otherwise great work, thanks for posting!

Thanks @Urbal Yes it has a central diff lock and I think there is quite a bit of resistance on a normal surface but I mean diff lock is meant to be used in off-road loose conditions so I guess that's functionality over practicality on Lego.

I didn't move the gearbox, it's still sitting over the rear axle.

IMG_1688.jpeg

Doth my eyes deceive me or do I spy a silver champion in the background? Nice defender and plaque! I do think the lights could do with some better hiding though, and the back doors look a bit flimsy. But yet again, that is the way with the original defender. Maybe someone should make the defender sturdier...

On 12/31/2021 at 7:02 PM, Polarlicht said:

Four? You forgot the spare wheel, mate?

I'll order another one soon.

Here's proof the silver rims exist in reality:
LR129107_a-1000x1000.jpg

LR129107_b-1000x1000.jpg

41 minutes ago, BrickWild said:

I'll order another one soon.

Here's proof the silver rims exist in reality:

Did the same a page back, but i have 5 of them:laugh:

Black wheels are ugly, so i ordered the grey ones asap!

On 8/14/2020 at 6:36 PM, Mike08 said:

Hello,

Thought I'd share what I'm working on, inspired by a Defender 110 MOC. I'm creating my own 110 as closely accurate to real sizing as possible. The rear doors are difficult as the real ones are part of the rear mudguard. The black roof and hood are accurate as the Defender has this livery as well.
This is my very first time using Studio so lot of trial and error before it is complete. And seeing all these mods, I will be implementing a lot when I start building mine.

42110-test-2.jpg

Hi @Mike08 wauw. Mooie bouw. Ik ben van plan ook zoiets ervan te gaan maken. Heb jij eventueel iets van instructies of iets wat mij kan helpen om ook een 110 van mijn 90 te bouwen? Nederlandse groeten!

On 2/16/2022 at 8:07 PM, NielsDui said:

Hi @Mike08 wauw. Mooie bouw. Ik ben van plan ook zoiets ervan te gaan maken. Heb jij eventueel iets van instructies of iets wat mij kan helpen om ook een 110 van mijn 90 te bouwen? Nederlandse groeten!

@NielsDui Hi, zal ff in Engels reageren.

I don't have any instructions, also the model isn't finished yet in stud-io. Haven't worked on it in a long time, but I will see if I still have the 3d file and upload it tonight so you can open it in stud-io and have a look

Edit: I don't have the file anymore, sorry

Edited by Mike08
Edit

I finally got to publish my modifications. There are several of them:

Functional door lock with minimalistic design:

640x480.png640x480.png

Hood lock & holder rod.

• Lock is loose enough to be able to pull hood by hand without too much pressure, but stiff enough to hold hood closed in case of flipping model upside down. Also, handle to release the lock is hidden in front bumper - not sticking out, but still accessible to push it with fingertip.

640x480.png800x600.png640x480.png

Reworked rear door closing mechanism to make it as small as possible. And also fixed wrong rotation required to open the doors.

640x480.png

Last but not least, I squeezed Powered up motors & hub (from set 42099) into chassis to make it a RC model, while kept fake engine in place.

• First version was just connecting original gearings to motors, but the weight of model made it impossible to move without cracking the gears. Hub found its place instead of rear seats. (https://youtu.be/hMPyRmdqvRo
  • In second version I kept only HI-LO selector and bypassed 4gear transmission and DNR selector from drivetrain, so it was able to move whole model. The gearbox worked only to change speed of fake engine. Hub was still in place of rear seats. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79HWYCkU9eM)
  • The speed and torque of second model was so terrible, that it could be considered only as "show off model". So I rethink whole thing once again and designed whole chassis anew, so it would be able to be played with - thus with some appropriate speed and also enough torque to climb over some obstacles. To achieve that, I got rid of all original gearings and built drivetrain from scratch. The result is 2 speed gearbox (operated manually via handle in cockpit), with locking central diff in first gear. Chassis was reinforced on several places, some modifications to suspension was required to support additional weight as well., Removing original gearbox made enough space to fit hub below rear seats, so there are only cosmetic visual changes to original model. Also, as for previous versions, motors are detachable, so model can be still operated manually - also HOG wheel is still working (selecting neutral to disengage power motors, manually pulling out axle to disengage steering motor). Replacing batteries is easy, they are accessible by opening rear doors and lifting rear seats up (https://youtu.be/khJoDcJBcyM). The hub can be turned on via lever hidden behind rear wheel.

640x480.png640x480.png

Full model with instructions is available for free on Rebrickable.

I own only 2 sets - which I bought just to make this model :) so some elements of build may not be the best, but given very limited parts, I am quite proud if it.

Edited by gamayun

1 hour ago, WW Bricks Studio said:

Hi guys, I have motorized my 42110 again. This time, I use 2 BW motors as driving, 2 PU L motor to control the steering and winch.

Quite fast actually! Are all wheels driven? And what motor output and gearing did you use?

On 4/13/2022 at 12:32 AM, johnnym said:

Quite fast actually! Are all wheels driven? And what motor output and gearing did you use?

Hi, John

Yes, it is a 4WD car. I used torque output!

Hi guys, I have redesigned my 42110 F1 which references the 42141 set.

Wish you like it.

I modified the front axle again. I moved the steering rack behind the front axle. This makes Ackermann geometry easier, because the connectors to the steering links can be moved inside instead of outwards. Some users reported the steering links may rub with the rims in my previous design. This cannot happen any more with the new design.

1280x1280.png

The new front axle is included in MOC - 42110 Pimp up my Land Rover v1.4 on rebrickable. 

On 5/24/2022 at 9:18 AM, thekoRngear said:

Any plan to upload this in 600 DPI as well (if it does not need any subsequent 1.4.x)?

You can use the download links in the 1.3.2 section for the 600 DPI. They have been updated to v1.4.

Hey @jb70 great to see that you are still revisiting venerable Defender set, kudos to you! Especially grateful for addressing Ackerman geometry, one of my early feedback more than a year ago! You probably sick and tired from Defender already, but may I ask you - did you consider compacting the drivetrain/gearbox in a way to make the whole layout more realistic, and thus emptying the trunk? I noted that @gyenesvi had compacted the gearbox in his MOC-81354 (saving its characteristics of 4+2 gears), interestingly he referenced your model as an inspiration :) Basically it should fit into the Defender frame if my stud calculation is correct. In my mind, that would be a dream 42110. I almost ready to pay for it, as sadly don't have time to finish it myself - as the existing layout (linkage to gearbox in the trunk and back) really bugs me!  With a proper layout of engine->gearbox->transfer box with diff, it would be a staple in Technic modelling, especially providing the 1:10 scale!

Edited by Urbal

On 2/27/2022 at 11:33 PM, gamayun said:

Functional door lock with minimalistic design:

Do you have building instructions for this? :classic:

40 minutes ago, sway-67 said:

Do you have building instructions for this? :classic:

Yes, available for free on Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/users/gamayun/mocs/

On 8/3/2020 at 9:05 AM, thekoRngear said:

Hello guys, I have decided to change my 42110. I call it Lego Technic 42110- Lite Version. This version is basically for those who don't have enough parts or are unable to find/buy new parts to build the JB70 Pimped up version. Dont have enough resources/currently unable to RC it either. The Pimped up 42110 is a fantastic MOC. However, as it is mentioned above I dont have options to add or buy required parts and, I personally do not like a vehicle whose front seats and rear seats basically floats above a sea of gears right from the front to the very back. It looks weird, at least to me.

Changes:

1. Removed the rear gearbox completely. As a result, the infamous (or the victims of the infamous rear gearbox) u-joints are also removed. They are now used on the frame of the main doors (and they are not aligned lol)

2. Modified the front gearbox with a 4 speed one. The front gearbox has two structures- one on the front and another one in the back. I have modified them to fit in the not so symmetric drivetrain of Defender. The black beam which sits right beneath the front gearbox has now simplified installation.  The gears have noticeable speed difference with Engine piston movements when being hand moved.

3. Changed the position of the front and rear diffs. The crowns are now facing opposite to each other

4. Changed the position of centre differential

Other changes to match my personal taste:

i. removed the winch

ii. Added a hood stand (from Grohl's Unofficial B model)

iii. Modified the front grey shock absorbers by stiffening them using the little parts

iv. replaced the blue pins with black pins for each of the four fenders. The blue pins among the Defender Olive Green is an eye-sore for me. Total 8 black pins were needed

v. Used a long rod to connect the rear door (with the tyre) down to one of the holes of the upper bottom beam because when you open and close the rear door (may or may not happen to you) the door with the tyre has considerable amount of force causing the connecting parts get out a bit of their place.

vi. From my observation, I have seen behind the steering wheel the dashboard's bottom part gets loose/looks like it is hanged if removed later. That black pin connecting all the parts was not doing a great job. I have replaced that with a blue pin.

vii. The back red lights are flimsy. I have replaced the upper part smaller pins with a long blue pin. They are now sturdy.

viii. Changed the inner side of the main doors mechanism.

ix. Lots of small visual changes

800x449.jpg

800x525.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x540.jpg

800x497.jpg

800x1087.jpg

800x570.jpg

This mod is from someone who is a noob, knows not so much about gears, just want to have a vehicle for when he moves it does not crack with simplified gearing. It is not geartastic, but it's nice.

Really liking this simpler design.

Do you have a build of it anywhere ?