astral brick

Japanese Licenses Wishlist

Considering the amount of western licenses that Lego is managing, I am wondering how difficult and expensive it would be to acquire Japanese ones. The potential profits could be huge, in relation to both high number and dedication of manga and anime enthusiasts.

City and sci-fi sets for Dragon Ball, pirates ones for One Piece, ninja style ones for Naruto. Personally I would like to see Macross and some classic Go Nagai robots.

Anyway the dream - and perhaps most profitable - partnership would be with Nintendo and the endless possibilities offered by its IPs lore. I think of a Mario kart theme, a Zelda castles-fantasy line, a Pokemon one on the model of Brickheadz. Remembering the Amiibo crazy collecting phenomenon, a hypothetical Nintendo license would probably pay for itself in a short time with a handful of minifigures series.

Lego if you are reading, please think about it!

An all-encompassing Nintendo line would be a thing of beauty. Anime IPs are equally as tantalizing, granted they can figure out how to do the facial prints.

Nintendo and Pokémon would seem to be at the top of most people list. I mean who doesn't want to see a donkey kong big fig!?!

18 hours ago, Blackpool said:

Nintendo and Pokémon would seem to be at the top of most people list. I mean who doesn't want to see a donkey kong big fig!?!

I believe LEGO could design Pokémon sets much better than Mega Construx can!

On 8/2/2019 at 5:02 AM, astral brick said:

Considering the amount of western licenses that Lego is managing, I am wondering how difficult and expensive it would be to acquire Japanese ones. The potential profits could be huge, in relation to both high number and dedication of manga and anime enthusiasts.

As far as Japan's homegrown IPs and genres go, don't forget Kaiju Cinema! I myself would love to see Toho's Godzilla franchise come to Lego in some capacity! :excited:

I’d love to see Dragonball Z in some form. And a big D2C of Shenron & Porunga. :drool: Seeing as they’ve been getting better building mechs, Gundam would be amazing, G Gundam would be first pick as I grew up with that one, toys/models included. Neon Genesis Evangelion would be a fun one to see too. There’s a lot I don’t love to see, definitely CMF series at the least. 

11 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As far as Japan's homegrown IPs and genres go, don't forget Kaiju Cinema! I myself would love to see Toho's Godzilla franchise come to Lego in some capacity! :excited:

Great idea! Moreover the related afols' polemics could be so fun: and the snout shape is wrong, and it is too tall, too short, too big, too small, and the colour doesn't match, why not the mecha version, where is the aircraft carrier for playability, where is Tokyo Tower, where is Rodan...

10 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I’d love to see Dragonball Z in some form. And a big D2C of Shenron & Porunga. :drool: Seeing as they’ve been getting better building mechs, Gundam would be amazing, G Gundam would be first pick as I grew up with that one, toys/models included. Neon Genesis Evangelion would be a fun one to see too. There’s a lot I don’t love to see, definitely CMF series at the least. 

Gundam would be so interesting, and Evangelion peculiar form so challenging to design.

I’d really love to see the Naruto franchise in LEGO form, but I doubt it could co-exist with Ninjago as Naruto and Ninjago both happen to be ninja-themed.

However, I’d love an Ichiraku Ramen Bar playset from Classic Naruto!

I'm not a manga fan. Is there enough of a fanbase for a specific IP within manga? For example, sci-fi (or really space opera) is popular but having Star Wars essentially rules out Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, V, etc and pretty much any other licensed space stories. Plus do they have locations that can be done to justify sets. There are plenty of TV series or movies where they could do loads of characters but they cannot really just do the characters, they seem to need the sets to sell parts.

I don't really have in mind any possible anime/manga IPs that Lego could do at the moment at least, but the biggest Japanese IP I would love for Lego to cover would be Final Fantasy. There's certainly a lot what can be done, from location based sets to vehicles. Maybe there could even be enough room for a minifigure series.

Similarly, Kingdom Hearts might work too, especially since we already have Disney characters who pop up in the games already made, it'd probably be a location heavy series though, outside of sets for the Gummi ship, various bosses and maybe the train from KH2.

3 hours ago, AManofNoConsequence said:

I don't really have in mind any possible anime/manga IPs that Lego could do at the moment at least, but the biggest Japanese IP I would love for Lego to cover would be Final Fantasy. There's certainly a lot what can be done, from location based sets to vehicles. Maybe there could even be enough room for a minifigure series.

Similarly, Kingdom Hearts might work too, especially since we already have Disney characters who pop up in the games already made, it'd probably be a location heavy series though, outside of sets for the Gummi ship, various bosses and maybe the train from KH2.

This! I’ve always dreamed of LEGO Kingdom Hearts to happen. Also, a non-canon LEGO Kingdom Hearts video game would be epic!

On 8/4/2019 at 9:36 AM, MatthewRC said:

I’d really love to see the Naruto franchise in LEGO form, but I doubt it could co-exist with Ninjago as Naruto and Ninjago both happen to be ninja-themed.

However, I’d love an Ichiraku Ramen Bar playset from Classic Naruto!

Speaking of which, I've decided to create my own LEGO Ideas Naruto project based on Ramen Ichiraku! I've discovered that Naruto is an appropriate license for the LEGO Group to consider, thanks to the IP search engine at the beginning where people create product ideas based on intellectual properties.

Robotech /  Macross would be AWESOME. Transformer-type Veritech planes, plus LEGO has a thing for mechs! Destroid Tomahawk anyone? Oh the possibilities. Zentraedi Battle pod, Rand’s VR Cyclone... Wishful thinking. 

On 8/4/2019 at 9:25 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Lego Ideas allowed A Godzilla License. Why is no one making this yet? I would definitely buy a brick built godzilla in a similar vein to Jurassic park T-rex rampage but without a gate.

Edited by AMD

I see the problem that many Manga/anime-sets would just take sales away from ninjago. So i am not that sure about a lot of licences.

It is my personal taste but every time Lego put manga eyes on Minifigure heads it looked terrible to me. But on the other hand dot-eyes wouldn't wouldn't represent many characters very well.

There is one line i would buy as soon as it's released: I'd love to see a Donkey Kong Coutry line of sets as long as the cartoon apes get moulded head pieces. Tree houses with the pet rhino, the jumping snake  or the race ostriches would be so cool and appeal to children, city  builders with a zoo and Video game nerds as well.

7 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

It is my personal taste but every time Lego put manga eyes on Minifigure heads it looked terrible to me. But on the other hand dot-eyes wouldn't wouldn't represent many characters very well.

Exo-force has one of those manga eyes but I don't see anything wrong with them. Maybe its just me. :sceptic:

I do agree with the dot-eyes though. Some of them look good but others won't make any sense.

16 hours ago, AMD said:

Lego Ideas allowed A Godzilla License. Why is no one making this yet?

Well, there are three Godzilla-related projects on Ideas that are still active as of this post... :wink:

Plus, I should also mention here @Hinckley's project that had gained a bit of headway before its expiration...

resize:1600:900