Well first of all , totally unrelated but that's a pretty cool CityEl @Lasse D !. 

On a more relevant note, thanks to all of you guys I made it. I was so busy trying to make it work on Bricksmith that I didn't try opening it with LDView. The decals show up just fine there. Fun fact though : They also showed up in Bricksmith when I accidentally zoomed waaaay close to the torso ( 1/4th-of-the-torso-was-covering-my-whole-screen kinds of close ). My first assumption is that the .png I used could be too large, and maybe Bricksmith has a limit, which I overshot, until I zoomed and cut out 3/4ths of the image. Will investigate this further when I have the time and let you guys know of my findings.

Are there any already available texmap patterned parts for a minifig head, minifig hip piece, and the upper part of the dual moulded legs ( 20460 and 20461)similar to the torso and legs you linked above @Philo? I could try to make them from scratch but it would be silly to do so before checking if someone's already made them (although I doubt I'll manage to make them if no one has :tongue:). By the way, some first renders I'm trying out look amazing, and it's all thanks to you my friend, I can't thank you enough, but I can, and will, give you all the props and credit in the world when I post the builds and story I'm using these for :excited:

11 hours ago, Kendo said:

Are there any already available texmap patterned parts for a minifig head, minifig hip piece, and the upper part of the dual moulded legs ( 20460 and 20461)similar to the torso and legs you linked

No, not yet but I'll look at it...

And thanks for your kind words ?

Hello @Philo and rest of the gang , after another small period of absence due to work , I have been able to work on my project for the past 4-5 days. Since Philo gave me all the essential tools I went ahead and created .dat's with TEXMAP decals for the waist of a minifigure , as well as for both upper parts of the dual moulded legs previously discussed . I would be really happy to give back for all your help Philo, so if these are useful to you or anyone else , It would be my pleasure to DM the files to you so that you could add them to the database ( although I haven't , as you see below , quite nailed the legs - is it something to do with "TEXMAP FALLBACK" ? ).
So my new main character and sigfig is ready :excited: , for anyone interested , here's a very rough , non rendered , literally-just-an-ldraw-screenshot look :

nQlwaiEm.png

My last problem however , is the aforementioned rendering ! When I convert the file you see in the above screenshot to .pov and run Pov_Ray with said .pov as a source scene , many errors pop up , and I can't render it ( I can post the exact errors if that would help ) . Weirdly it happens with every TEXMAP'ed part I use except from the torso, but even if I give a source scene with a blank minifig with only the aforementioned torso , the render does not have the "decal" on the torso , it's just a plain brown torso. What am I doing wrong ? Is there a setting or a library I have to include to enable the TEXMAP textures to show up ?If not , is there any other solution in order to have the decals show up on my Pov-Ray render ? Thanks in advance for any help and I hope the couple of parts i created can be a useful brick in the amazingly rich wall that is the ldraw library :sweet:

Edited by Kendo

Hi @Kendo,

- What did you used to create the image?

- What have you used to export the scene to Povray?

13 hours ago, Kendo said:

"TEXMAP FALLBACK"

TEXMAP FALLBACK (code) TEXMAP END is the LDraw code used by older LDraw programs that don't support texmap extension (eg. MLCad, or currently Studio). If you want to display a pattern with these older programs, fallback section must contain a colored geometry showing the pattern. As an exemple, see this sail: http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/36069ap01.dat that shows the texmap image with modern LDraw viewers, and a very rough pattern with older programs.

Hi @Philo :classic:,

- If you mean the image I posted above , it's just a screenshot (aka printscreen) from my .ldr file opened with LDView. So the TEXMAP stuff shows up just fine in LDView, but not at all in Pov-Ray. 

- The way I go from the aforementioned .ldr file to the scene I give to Pov-Ray is the most basic one : I use file > export in LDView. Is this a mistake ? Is there a correct way of doing this ?

Oh ok so it seems that "TEXMAP FALLBACK" isn't what I thought it was, I think I'll use the same technique you used to do the head for the curved part of the legs. My only real problem is the rendering issue . Do you want me to DM you my files ? Would that help ?

@Philo Hey there, I’ve been trying to manually add dual-moulded minifigure arms & legs to my Stud.io 2.0 library, but have had no luck doing so. Care to create a detailed tutorial on this?

On 3/27/2020 at 8:20 PM, MatthewRC said:

Care to create a detailed tutorial on this? 

Actually I created a custom parts pack (with connectivity): get it here

To use it, unzip it and place its contents in your C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Local\Stud.io . Arm and Leg parts will then be available in Custom Parts palette of Studio. More details on custom parts in Studio forum: http://forum.bricklink.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=965&p=2615&hilit=customparts&sid=a0487a9d7213c77248f4ce56001e5072#p2615

21 minutes ago, Philo said:

To use it, unzip it and place its contents in your C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Local\Stud.io . Arm and Leg parts will then be available in Custom Parts palette of Studio. More details on custom parts in Studio forum: http://forum.bricklink.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=965&p=2615&hilit=customparts&sid=a0487a9d7213c77248f4ce56001e5072#p2615

Thank you so much! I’ll download this when I get the chance.

2 hours ago, Philo said:

1 hour ago, MatthewRC said:

Thank you so much! I’ll download this when I get the chance.

@Philo Hello again, I've just downloaded your custom parts pack, but there is a difference between the Light Nougat color in Stud.io's palette and your pack's Light Flesh forearms.

Color Error

As you can see, Double D's arms and hands are in different shades of Light Flesh color. Thank you for reading.

1 hour ago, MatthewRC said:

As you can see, Double D's arms and hands are in different shades of Light Flesh color. Thank you for reading.

Sorry I'm dry on this... it _should_ work but doesn't. If only Studio team made a tiny bit of effort to improve LDraw compatibility, life would be easier... I tried various tricks to no avail. Problem is the same with arm with yellow forearm (16000p01). add one in yellow, should be the same on top and bottom but forearm looks almost fluorescent :( Actually the problem is the same for the legs, but it's much less visible on flat surfaces. I'll update here if I find something...

1 hour ago, Philo said:

Sorry I'm dry on this... it _should_ work but doesn't. If only Studio team made a tiny bit of effort to improve LDraw compatibility, life would be easier... I tried various tricks to no avail. Problem is the same with arm with yellow forearm (16000p01). add one in yellow, should be the same on top and bottom but forearm looks almost fluorescent :( Actually the problem is the same for the legs, but it's much less visible on flat surfaces. I'll update here if I find something...

You know you can message the Stud.io team regarding this issue. I have their email address, but should I post it in this thread or PM it to you?

Is this because they use BL colours IDs and don’t translate LDraw ones correctly/consistently/everywhere?

13 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

You know you can message the Stud.io team regarding this issue. I have their email address, but should I post it in this thread or PM it to you?

I kind of prefer that you contact them yourself... Of course I'll be glad to answer questions if needed!

Just now, Philo said:

I kind of prefer that you contact them yourself... Of course I'll be glad to answer questions if needed!

Okay, I’ll do that.

4 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

Is this because they use BL colours IDs and don’t translate LDraw ones correctly/consistently/everywhere?

I thought of that, but other parts in Studio library use standard LDraw color codes. Yellow forearm part is affected too, so it's not something special with renamed "nougat" colors.

7 hours ago, Philo said:

I thought of that, but other parts in Studio library use standard LDraw color codes. Yellow forearm part is affected too, so it's not something special with renamed "nougat" colors.

Yeah, I agree with Nougat and Flesh being the same color with every shade being the same as well.

I've got a Stud.io question, and it seems that this is as good a thread as any to ask it in:

I recently learned how to set a video as my desktop background on my PC, and I'm thinking it would be pretty cool to set it to an animation of some cool Technic MOC being "put together" in a rendering, basically having the component parts slowly "fly" together to create the complete model. I've seen some similar animations in various YouTube videos, and I assume they were made in Stud.io, so what I'm wanting to know is whether there is a setting like that in Stud.io, and where to find it.

Thanks!

45 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

so what I'm wanting to know is whether there is a setting like that in Stud.io, and where to find it.

Click Render, choose the Animation tab, and check the Building Sequence box (it can follow your steps or make its own; bricks can only appear or fall from the sky).

1 hour ago, SylvainLS said:

Click Render, choose the Animation tab, and check the Building Sequence box (it can follow your steps or make its own; bricks can only appear or fall from the sky).

Thanks, I'll give that a go!

Is there any indication when new (technic) parts will arrive in Stud.io?

I'm waiting for "Shell 5x1x2 w/ cross" 80286 from 42132.

Oh, that's neat.

Will have to try that.

Are there also official updates, or would I have to wait for a loooong time.